I bought a '14 Cruze LT 1.4T

Status
Not open for further replies.
congrats.
quick little cars
PM user sciphi: he has one for about 80k+ miles.
also i think we have a few users with the diesel version...

Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I hear they have problems with water pumps..........

I think all cars do sooner or later..............

I sold my Cherokee with 220k on the original pump.

Originally Posted By: stevejones
Hated to do it for a variety of reasons, but I pulled the trigger on one last Saturday. Stickered at $21.3K, they gave me $1K for my rotted out '00 Venture minivan. Out the door under $17K. 2% financing so I floated a 48month loan.

Drove well enough for me & should be good on gas. Any advice on this thing post-purchase?

Enjoy and drive it. Ignore the financial nannies as the deed is done.

The thing I love about my cruze diesel is that it feels like Im driving a substantial vehicle, my wife civic has the go cart feel in comparison...

They are sharp looking cars and the sales prove it. Congrats

Last edited:
Congrats! My Cruze Eco is at 97k miles, and I still enjoy driving it. The biggest issue I've had with the car has been the flaky water pump. Either it's a good one or it isn't. Make sure to check the coolant level regularly, as there is a campaign for "unseen coolant leaks" on the older ones. Not sure if it applies to the '14's.

Also, the 1.4T does better on a full synthetic oil. Any off the shelf synthetic oil will work. Just change it by ~7500 miles at the most. I've heard that GM reprogrammed the OLM, so it should be trustworthy. Filter-wise, buy a case of OEM filters online. Same goes for air and cabin filters, too. The OEM filters are the best/cheapest available when purchased online.

Fuel-wise, the car will run decently in the winter on 87. Once the weather gets warmer, bump up to 89 or 91+. The engine pulls a lot of power on 87 octane during warmer weather, especially when the A/C is running. Going to 89 helps restore some of this missing power.

Thanks for the tips, sciphi! Right now my game plan is to get the Delco filters from Amazon, run good ol' Mobil 1 for 5K intervals, and dump the factory fill at 1K miles.

To break in the engine, I've been driving it like I stole it - you kinda have to, anyways, to keep up with the pace of traffic in my area. While I have purchased many new vehicles, this method has always served me well in the past.

And as long as gas prices are relatively low, I might just run mid-grade in winter. I haven't even done the first fill-up yet.

So far, it's been a good honeymoon. The car has performed flawlessly...for week 1...lol.

ETA: And since I'm in the rust-belt, a gallon of Fluid Film is on the way!

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback!

I've started learning about Dexos oil & which ones are and are not. So I hope to have that figured out before the initial oil change.

Learning all the features of this car is driving me to spend quality time with the manual. Remote start, bluetooth, the driver info center, USB stuff, etc. is all new to me!

Lastly, my opening remarkes involving "hated to do it" was largely centered around the expense & having a car payment again. $17k is the most I've ever spent on a vehicle .... that will eventually find its way to the rusty scrap heep.

But it is a nice ride & good on gas...let's hope it stays out if the shop....

The word on the Internet street is that the Cruze, and its cousin the Buick Verano, are wonderfully solid cars. Like you, I hated to go back under the weight of a car payment with my Regal, but my interest rate is the same as yours, and I hope to have the car paid off early in '16 and then drive it for a while. Drive your Cruze like you stole it * and enjoy!

* I've never understood that phrase, though. If you stole a car, wouldn't you want to drive as carefully as possible, so as not to attract the cops' attention?

Thanks for the tips, sciphi! Right now my game plan is to get the Delco filters from Amazon, run good ol' Mobil 1 for 5K intervals, and dump the factory fill at 1K miles.

To break in the engine, I've been driving it like I stole it - you kinda have to, anyways, to keep up with the pace of traffic in my area. While I have purchased many new vehicles, this method has always served me well in the past.

And as long as gas prices are relatively low, I might just run mid-grade in winter. I haven't even done the first fill-up yet.

So far, it's been a good honeymoon. The car has performed flawlessly...for week 1...lol.

Good plan! For the filter, a 24mm socket on a 6" or longer extension is the best way I've found to get at the cap on the filter canister. Put a paper towel down onto the transmission to catch any drips. Also, any little bit of spilled oil will run down the block and drip from many different places. Plus it will get into the spark plug wells.

Oh, about the spark plugs, pull them and re-gap them. Gap should be 0.028", although some folks have reported success with gaps up to 0.034". This helps smooth out the engine, as factory gaps from NGK can be wildly different.

For spraying Fluid Film, it's very easy and effective to pull out the rubber plugs on the rocker panels to spray inside the rockers. I do this religiously, as every GM car my family's owned has rusted from the rockers first. Also inside the doors, as mine has a little puddle from the driver's door after a car wash or rain. Other than that, the plastic wheel well liners are fairly effective at suppressing salt spray. I'd pull them now when the car's new, and coat underneath. After that, it's up to you whether or not to pull them yearly. The plastic fasteners come out easily with a fork, or proper body panel tool set. Just watch out for the T20 screws and random 10mm screws scattered throughout.

I have a case of 12 AC Delco oil filters (Hengst made) for my recently traded in Cruze. Make me a fair offer and they are yours.

PS: Mine couldn't keep coolant in it's surge tank despite numerous trips to the dealer. That was bad enough but the odor of coolant when the heat was on was sickening.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I hear they have problems with water pumps..........

I think all cars do sooner or later..............

I sold my Cherokee with 220k on the original pump.

As I mentioned....sooner or later.

Excellent plan!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: pbm
I have a case of 12 AC Delco oil filters (Hengst made) for my recently traded in Cruze. Make me a fair offer and they are yours.

Thanks for the offer, but at $6 from Amazon & free ship, I'll get them as I need them....

Got the Fluid Film done this weekend.

Jacked up all four corners. Removed wheel & tires. Removed plastic wheel liners. Pulled all the rocker plugs and a couple hidden plugs behind each wheel liner. Went to town with the FF & spray gun. Delicately sprayed underhood, then worked some FF from rattlecans into the doors via the drain holes. Put it all back together - no extra parts!

It's been a mild December, so I'm hoping to get a chance later in the week to give it another once over....but should be in pretty good shape if I don't. Used a good 1/2-gallon.

Got the Fluid Film done this weekend.

Jacked up all four corners. Removed wheel & tires. Removed plastic wheel liners. Pulled all the rocker plugs and a couple hidden plugs behind each wheel liner. Went to town with the FF & spray gun. Delicately sprayed underhood, then worked some FF from rattlecans into the doors via the drain holes. Put it all back together - no extra parts!

It's been a mild December, so I'm hoping to get a chance later in the week to give it another once over....but should be in pretty good shape if I don't. Used a good 1/2-gallon.

Good job! Next year it will go faster.

If the car ever gets blown around in the wind, putting on the "original" not hacked up underbody shield now found on the Buick Verano helps noticeably.

Status
Not open for further replies.