I-95 bridge collapse / fire - Philadelphia

They should be able to fix this pretty quickly if they get on their horse about it. The South Padre causeway collapse in Texas was fixed in two months and that goes over a bay. I'm sure the PA DOT was called out this weekend ASAP to put together a plan.

Look up the Mianis (SP) river bridge in Greenwich Ct . in the 1980's . RT95 NB with fatalities.

People didn't like the truck traffic, diesel fumes, .

Locals wanted the truck and traffic to use RT 95 , but there was a piece of the bridge missing.

To say it was a cluster ---- would be an understatement.

TOMB
CONVERT
I remember that bridge and i live in ct
rust made it fail

Wow. Terrible place to have vehicle fire. OMG 🫣

Are both directions of bridge damaged ?

The underpass will provide for an easier way to repair this bridge than if there was a canal underneath bridge.
doesnt look (IDK), can get both N & S over onto the S bound...

Modern 'devices' brodcast the 'around route' on "maps". I dont use i95 but stay west 84, 87, 81 etc. BUT I'm not goin to philly or close. 276 could wrk...

Last edited:
before I even read the article or anything I was thinking those were pictures over in Ukraine or Russia.
Actually a lot of Ukrainians and Russians traditionally lived in the Northeast (section of Philly).

Pardon my ignorance, but 20 years ago when both were at my office, I thought of them as similar, because they all spoke Russian.

Turns out, my next door neighbor is Irish/Ukranian and went to a Ukranian church in Phila when she was a little girl with her mom..

There’s a new Chris Christie beach meme that is hilarious

IMG_9127.jpeg

Looks like it will be a big boost for SEPTA ridership.
When the Cornwells Heights Regional Rail station opened up over 20 years ago, it was great for commuting into college.... pass out in the train, while it whizzes by stopped traffic on I-95

For those that need to drive past Philly, or past the collapsed bridge, the DE River toll bridge commision will see some increased revenue, along with EZ-Pass, as NJ's side will get some more traffic on I-295. along with the Burlington-Bristol Bridge, Talcony-Palmyra Bridge, Betsy Ross Bridge, Ben Franklin Bridge, and maybe the Commodore Barry Bridge

Last edited:
It's just another example of how our infrastructure is terrible. Without getting political, it's clear that our tax dollars are not going towards improving roads or city planning. We are so concerned about vehicle safety, yet very little thought seems to go into how our infrastructure is designed and maintained. One bridge going out like this should not have the kind of impact on traffic that it is having. When I worked in insurance, I saw so many accidents that were the result of poor road maintenance, and guess who ends up paying the lawsuits when someone sues the town/city/state? I mow the sides of the road at the end of my own street, since the town has not done it in years, and there have been several accidents there previously due to people not being able to see from the tall grass blocking visibility on an otherwise blind corner.

And a repair that should be complete within at most a few weeks will take several months. Finished this calendar year, or next?

For those that need to drive past Philly, or past the collapsed bridge, the DE River toll bridge commision will see some increased revenue, along with EZ-Pass, as NJ's side will get some more traffic on I-295. along with the Burlington-Bristol Bridge, Talcony-Palmyra Bridge, Betsy Ross Bridge, Ben Franklin Bridge, and maybe the Commodore Barry Bridge
That's what i'm thinking. Def 295.

We are so concerned about vehicle safety, yet very little thought seems to go into how our infrastructure is designed and maintained.

There's a guy on YT who has a channel dedicated to finding dangerous guardrails. His daughter died when an improperly assembled guardrail speared into her car.

There's actually a lot of engineering that goes into a guardrail, and a lot of them are improperly assembled or "frankensteined" where parts from different guardrail systems are used together, which results in an assembly the crash performance of which has never been tested and is unpredictable.

My personal experience with the attitude that seems to be common among some DOT employees was when I made the "traffic signals supervisor" for the city of Manassas, Virginia aware of a "yellow trap" at an intersection in the city.

His attitude was that it's no big deal and the problem is the drivers.

I went over his head and made the city manager aware of the issue.

The problem got fixed.

But that same city STILL has several intersections with the same problem, yet they're installing red light cameras for "safety".

One bridge going out like this should not have the kind of impact on traffic that it is having.
People spend years studying traffic design, only to realize it's actually very simple: Every road built will go to capacity. Building extra roads for the contingency that a major bridge might be damaged by fire would be very expensive, and ultimately futile. It would be better to consider ways to reduce the risk of truck fires, and ways to reduce the damage that a fire could do to a bridge.

I know zero details about the fire, but find it interesting that out of all the places the truck could stop and catch fire, it stopped under a bridge.

Reminds me of one of my claims I had where a lady's car started on fire while she was driving. She was in the desert and instead of pulling off the side of the road where nobody was, she pulled into a gas station. :ROFLMAO: 🤦‍♂️

Back