Hydrogen, baby!

Shell, one of the largest distributors of hydrogen for non-industrial purposes, also recently totally exited the game, shutting down all their stations. This is one of the things that, IIRC, drove the massive discounts on the Toyota Muira.

California’s Hydrogen Economy Dealt A Hammer Blow By Shell’s Exit (forbes.com)

20yrs ago my company had a joint venture pilot program going with Mercedes Benz. We had a small electrolyzer unit onsite at LAX airport and a tiny fleet of MB hydrogen fuel cell powered cars. I never physically saw the unit, but I was able to operate it remotely in the central control room where I worked at the time. Basically start it, stop it and see some parameters. The unit was programmed to run during off-peak hours and fill a gas receiver with H2, specifically for these few MB vehicles. The program lasted a year or two and faded into oblivion.

@JeffKeryk can probably tell us how long his NEM2 contract is good for.
NEM2 agreement is 20 years from start date. I am 6 years in as of March. Sometimes you get lucky.

PG&E was founded in 1905, just two years after the discovery of natural gas in San Francisco. The company rapidly expanded throughout the state, acquiring other utilities on its way to becoming a monopoly by the 1920s. As California’s population expanded, PG&E grew along with it.
I love my solar but I hate PG&E and the PUC more.

Early today we ran up to our Petaluma home, 90 miles each way, up 280 thru The City across the GG and into the Wine Country.
So 180 miles. That would be $60 or more in the Tundra, over $40 in the GS and $36 in the TSX.
I started with about 70% charge in the Model 3 and stopped near Marin on the way home to charge for about 20 minutes, $8. The Starbucks for me and wifey cost more than that. Got home with 49 miles on the display. If I charge to 95% I don't have to stop. My new M3P will be even better, as long as I don't get a ticket.

Solar? Sometimes you get lucky.

Last edited:
IMO, hydrogen's only hope would be a fleet nuclear plants, thereby making the electricity cheap enough. Renewables, aka green energy solar and wind, have huge problems providing cheap electricity because they are intermittent. They probably have applications in limited areas, such as solar in the desert. Since solar and wind don't always produce power, and at that point traditional forms have to take over. Furthermore, the traditional forms of energy, coal and nuclear, can store fuel ON SITE, which is very important during a crisis and emergency which may last days or weeks. It boggles my mind this is never mentioned. Natural gas is mostly fuel on demand thru a pipeline, but thankfully some utilities are starting to build storage tanks. As for building giant batteries to store the wind and solar energy.....LMAO

IMO, hydrogen's only hope would be a fleet nuclear plants, thereby making the electricity cheap enough. Renewables, aka green energy solar and wind, have huge problems providing cheap electricity because they are intermittent.

Or if you're lucky enough to be geographically located for hydro power. That's how my plants roll. Off hydro power.

Back