hydraulic filter or oil filter ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any difference between a hydraulic, and oil filter. I think I have read where a hydraulic filter filters down to a small particle size, however this is of very little concern to me as the application is a sunstrand pump on a IH Cub Cadet. I was going to cross reference the original filter with a purolator pure one.. Some of the part numbers are

Cub Cadet IH-395789-R2
Cub Cadet 723-3014
Napa FIL 1410
Wix 51410

So my question is can I stick with a well know filter like MC, Purolator Pureone, Wix etc without worrying about the anti drain back valve etc ?

That's a 3/4-16 thread filter like a PH16/FL300. It doesn't have a bypass valve.

The differences between them (at least one) is the rating system. Automotive filters are rated using the multipass test to the saturation point while hydraulic are on the single pass method.

My feeling is that the nominal rating is more indicative of the in line performance level.

You should have no issue putting an automotive filter in place of the spec'd one. If you have the room, go ahead and super size it.

Thanks Gary just the info I was looking for, also plenty of room for a full mega size MotorCraft filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back