HP vs. Dell desktop; opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had posted a few weeks back that we are looking to upgrade our current 10 yr old dell that has become very anemic for basic computing. Thanks to all of you who gave your input!

I have narrowed down between either a HP or Dell desktop. From a price standpoint, I can get a better deal from HP (more RAM and less hard drive as we don't need 1TB). However, I have heard conflicting reports about the reliability of HP. Our Dell has been trouble-free the entire time we have owned it.

So, what is the consensus on HP ... is it a good brand to buy as compared to Dell? All we are going to use the computer for is web-surfing, word processing, and email; no gaming, digital media editing etc.

Most likely you will get similar grade of stuff from both companies for the same price point. My main problem with HP is they tends to "customize" the software more than Dell, and tends to have more "multimedia" buttons.

Dell.
Dell makes decent computers, we use exclusively at work and the problems per 100 as an example is very low.
HP pulled out of the desktop market I thought anyways?
HP has never been a brand I would recommend to anyone save maybe their laserjets.

The HP desktops we've owned were fine. The laptops--NO run away from, two overheated.

Check out tigerdirect, they have off lease business computers under 300 bucks, under 200, and one for 99 actually. Add a simple 20-40 dollar video card with hdmi output and any number of 1-3 year old computers can keep up enough to stream content to a larger television, email, fancy webpages etc.

I'll second the recommendation to get (refurbished) off-lease business systems. They're simply more robust and well built.

I have heard nothing but negative things about Dell; but most of those things had to do with support and service. I am a Linux guy, and HP has about the best company-wide Linux support out there, so I support them.

Buy a business class Dell desktop; you won't be disappointed.

HP's aren't bad either, but, IIRC, they're going back to nonstandard components ...

When a computer is out of warranty, HP still will give you some ideas and pointers. Dell pushes you to their fee based help desk.

I have a HP at home and work and both are fine. The HP EliteBook is what I have at work and has more metal around the laptop case, where the Pavilion has more plastic.

The HDs are what normally break first and the companies use whatever the latest deal they got is.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
HP's aren't bad either, but, IIRC, they're going back to nonstandard components ...

I'd like to see some substantiation of that: HP has long been the darling of the Linux community precisely because of the use of standards-compliant components (which do not then require fancy-pants drivers, inevitably available only for Windows/ Mac...)

In any case, a previous poster had it right: consumer stuff = expendable commodity hardware for cheap, business class systems = robust but not cheap. Pick your brand based on warranty and support and for Pete's sake dedicate some money for BACKUPS. Your data is the real value, not the hardware.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
build your own. Only way Id go.

or get a white box, from someone like jncs.com (plug)

Yup, why choose between 2 marginal brands.

Dell, which we use @ work, varies by model, some (Optiplex 745) fall apart in alarming #s, so much that we we decided not to donate them to charity; instead they went right to the recycler.

Last edited:
We have had only two desktops over the last 14 years, both are HP and both still work properly with no problems. The oldest is a consumer model that came with 512 RAM and an 80 gig hard drive.. The newer one is a no frills business model. It is very fast, never goofs, and (you'll love this!) was upgraded to Vista from XP. My choice would be an HP business type model with Windows 7, while you can still get it, based on the longevity of these two.

A big THANK YOU for all your input and advice. Especially the suggestion from Miller88 and Doog to look at a business desktop.

I think I will stick with Dell. As a matter of fact, I found a Dell business desktop that has just what I am looking for: hard drive (250GB), RAM (4GB), and Windows 7 with a 23 inch monitor for $499. That is the best deal I have seen yet. I assume since it is a business desktop, the computer will be better constructed.

Just to confuse the issue more, I'd say between these two brands it really depends on the particular model. And as already written, business models are usually more robust.

There again, some entry level business models are not so good, you have to go one step up. Take Dell 'business' desktops, for example. Their Vostro line isn't much better than consumer PCs. Even their Precision workstations aren't so good at the entry level (ex, T1650) but the next step up (T3600) they are good.

I like how HP supports their hardware with drivers for many years, and appreciate their support for Linux.

for consumer desktops, Neither. Asus instead.

If you're going cheap, there's several deals out there for Black Friday.

Asus is selling a generic laptop for $249 at Best Buy during the Black Friday weekend.

$249!!!

For business desktops, Dell. Great support, solid products, I've bought hundreds of them. You can often find a great deal on a refurb Optiplex 755 at DailySteals.com for around $199 with a 1TB disk in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back