Howard Dean on the Sean Hannity show

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by MolaKule:
[QB]
These guys really need to study history and economics 101.

Corporations and the top tier 10% income earners pay more than 34% in federal taxes alone.
--------------------------------------------

Where do the corporations get the money to pay the 34%?

The consumer pays all taxes. If we were to eleminate all forms of tax and replace them with a sales tax on every item most people would be shocked at the amount needed to be collected.

As for the top .1% paying taxes. I remember Ross Perot saying that he thought everyone should pay their fair share. Of couse at the time he was paying 6.5%. Minimum wage earners were at the time having 15% + total taken for just FICA.

[ January 28, 2004, 07:25 PM: Message edited by: wulimaster ]

quote:

Originally posted by buster:

quote:

The rest of the US doesn't think like north easterners.

You mean the North East where the greatest academic universities are? And where public education is the highest in the nation?
grin.gif
cheers.gif

Isn't the northeast where the richest people live?
Regarless.....amazing how a bunch of little states that combined together can all fit inside lake Okeechobee, FL are basically deciding the faith of the nation.

florida has a score of -16!!

haha its so true. prople here are soo stupid. i swear some of these people, they are walking zombies.

there is stores here in florida devoted to financing car wheels and they manage to stay in buisness! talk about a case of ****ed priority's.

buster, my first 3 years of HS were in Belvidere, then we moved to Michigan's Upper Peninsula I flat out told the teachers they did not have time to damage my education. The amazing part is they took no offence!

quote:

Originally posted by Last_Z:
QUOTE]Isn't the northeast where the richest people live?
Regarless.....amazing how a bunch of little states that combined together can all fit inside lake Okeechobee, FL are basically deciding the faith of the nation.

No one should be deciding the faith of the nation, this nation is not a theocracy. At least not yet.

OTOH, I would rather have the faith of the nation decided in the NE than by a bunch of narrow minded people in the Bible Belt.

quote:

Originally posted by XS650:

quote:

Wow yet another indictment of regression analysis. I dont think this measures what it purports too. This seems to correlate better with percentages of poor minorities in a state vs better off minorities in a state. Taking or not taking the SAT correlates much better with relative wealth than anything else.

Dan

Please tell me what I purported to measure when I did the regression analysis, since you are convinced it doesn't measure what I purported to measure.

There were several states in the bottom 11 that had high percentages of test takers. There were also some wealthy states with low percentages of test takers.

It would be a good idea to at least look at the underlying data before you pass judgement on the analysis.

It's an interesting topic, please give me some meaningful criticism if you understand the data and process.

If not, feel free to return to watching Hannity.

I dont watch Hannity. both conservative and liberal philosophies as they are currently constructed and legislated upon have forgotten basic princples that built this country and are selling all of us down the river.

Dan

There are three kinds of lies: lies, ****ed lies, and statistics.

[ January 29, 2004, 12:13 AM: Message edited by: Dan4510 ]

Completely off topic,

There is actually an easy answer as to why some states don't have high percentages of students taking the SAT - there is another college entrance exam called the ACT.

The ACT is typically used by schools in the middle of the US, while the SAT is still favored on the East and West coasts.

Thus, the students taking the SAT in the midwest often are thes students heading to east or west coast schools.

Funny thing is I bet there isn't much difference in the top 10 between the ACT and SAT.

Well, I went and did the homework on the ACT.

Here are the top 10 (actually 11 due to a tie)
states, and percentage of students taking the test, and average score (perfect is 36).

Oregon: 12% 22.6
Maine: 7% 22.5
Vermont: 11% 22.5
Washington: 16% 22.5
Massachussets: 10% 22.3
New York: 15% 22.3
New Hampshire: 8% 22.2
Wisconsin: 69% 22.2
Connecticut: 7% 22.1
Iowa: 66% 22
Minnesota: 67% 22

Interesting to see that Iowa, Minnesota, and Wisconsin are in the top 10 on both lists, even though they have high percentages taking the ACT. Food for thought...

quote:

The consumer pays all taxes. If we were to eleminate all forms of tax and replace them with a sales tax on every item most people would be shocked at the amount needed to be collected.

Exactly. Part of doing business is to roll-in the cost of government regulations, taxes, R&D, and marketing into the sale price equation.

If taxes weren't so high, consumer products would be less costly. $0.41/gal for fuel is a horrendous tax to pay on a commodity needed by rich and poor alike.

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:

quote:

Exactly. Part of doing business is to roll-in the cost of government regulations, taxes, R&D, and marketing into the sale price equation.

If taxes weren't so high, consumer products would be less costly. $0.41/gal for fuel is a horrendous tax to pay on a commodity needed by rich and poor alike.

I don't get what you are saying. Are you advocating tax cuts with corresponding cuts in the government? Ie: Not passing the cut along to the consumer but instead cutting government? You are not being very clear. I was assuming you were talking about tax cuts only. In that case you would just be moving the tax burden directly to the taxpayer and not removing it. Those who don't drive would benefit less than those who did.

BTW. .41/gal would probably equate to a drop of revenue for the state and federal govts amounting to 200-400 million a day or 70-140 billion a year. That would make last years deficit 520-590 billion. The government spends how much money a year? What percentage of the government would have to go away to balance the deficit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back