How you feel about clean (and cleaning) your car engines??? Your best methods.

I go to the local galvanize plant and have them sand blast the engine compartment like they do to steel beams before they galvanize them.
Seriously, the last time I had the engine bay cleaned was April 2021. I had a detailer friend do it. When I was able to do it myself, I would apply Simple Green, let it sit for 10 minutes, then use a regular garden hose to rinse. I always covered the alternator and PCM. After running the engine and letting it dry, I sprayed it down with silicone spray and wiped off the excess.

Where do you get simple green aviation?
I used to pay $15 a gal for it on Amazon, now its $60. skygeek has it for $18. This is harmless to aluminum, paint, plastics, wiring, etc and will not corrode contacts if some accidentally found its way into it.
No problem mixing it 50/50 it is still preetty effective on light dirt (it can be used full strength if desired also) and letting it sit for a while unlike others that will begin to damage aluminum almost instantly.

A few years ago I had some conversations with Simple Green techs. and they told me that their PRO HD formula (Home Depot) is the same as their Aviation Formula, just dyed different. This info can be verified on their faq page under the subject of "Aluminum".

Thanks for that I will give it a try on some injectors (old defects) that have a very easily damaged plating on them for marine use. Regular simple green damages it and turns it the colors of overheated metal. The Aviaton is fine though.

I just keep up with mine so it never gets dirty. After doing the interior with my shop vac I open the hood and move the hose from suction to the blowing side and blow the dust off with a small extension about the size of a pencil which really focuses the pressure in one spot. There is a small brush i can add to it. After blowing all the dust off I wipe it down with a damp microfiber towel and it looks good as new.

I clean the condenser and radiator fins every spring and fall. Good to know about the Simple Green HD.

The remaining engine compartment metal is sprayed with CRC HD Marine Corrosion Inhibitor. No cleaning here.

Attachments

• 8985100E-48C9-418B-9018-86502AD2FBDF.jpeg
    8985100E-48C9-418B-9018-86502AD2FBDF.jpeg
    181.7 KB · Views: 37
I don’t do much on mine. Once or twice a year I will take a portable vacuum and go over everything. Pollen and the usual stuff gets into the bay. I hit the plastics with a trim protectant. That’s it.

I just keep up with mine so it never gets dirty. After doing the interior with my shop vac I open the hood and move the hose from suction to the blowing side and blow the dust off with a small extension about the size of a pencil which really focuses the pressure in one spot. There is a small brush i can add to it. After blowing all the dust off I wipe it down with a damp microfiber towel and it looks good as new.
This is the way to do it if you can. I stay on top of it. I've always been one to really like a clean engine bay. In the past I would use Optimum Power Clean and use the hose. I never had an issue with water ruining something in over 20 years of doing it this way. However you have to be careful and I'd much rather do it without using a hose/water by keeping up with it more often.

Just powerwash the heck out of it, detergents optional, don’t aim at anything important.

Shel_B.... thanks.:) I liked this guy. He is clear and not a clown like some. Easy to follow. I did very similar for years. Don't have greasy engines these days just mostly dirt and dust etc... wife parks in gravel at work so I am going to try to keep it clean before it gets too bad. ;) I have a young nephew who likes to work on cars and mechanic stuff. Since I can't do much anymore I like to pay him to help me in his free time. He is already a great car detailer so I can get him to do similar under the hoods.

All that's needed is a once per year snowfoam and pressure rinsing of the engine bay using the the soft stream pressure nozzle

Can anyone recall the video of the gal drizzling a can of motor oil all over her engine as if it was a salad?

I'd like to see her pressure wash an engine bay....just sayin'.

Don't have the patience to go thru all those steps, just a quick rinse when I give the car a wash then blow dry with a leaf blower, let the engine idle for a few minutes. ;)

Thanks for that I will give it a try on some injectors (old defects) that have a very easily damaged plating on them for marine use. Regular simple green damages it and turns it the colors of overheated metal. The Aviaton is fine though.
Have you (Anyone) confirmed the Pro HD formula the same as their Aviation formula?

Cool engine, not running, I spray diluted degreaser from one side of the engine bay to the other and then go back and spray again to give it more time to dwell before pressure washing. I don’t cover anything. After I pressure rinse it, I spray any tough areas with degreaser again and agitate if needed. Rinse again. Dry with leaf blower or air compressor and blower. Hit it with tire dressing. Wipe excess after it dries a bit.

Back