How to wipe a used PC clean

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a used Dell desktop and would like to wipe it clean and re-install Windows xp . I have the xp disk but do not have the original disk set issued with this computer .

Are there any places on this computer where I can find the data and burn a disk ? I do not want to get into the process and then get stuck halfway without a working computer .

Thanks for any info

Originally Posted By: sleepery
I have a used Dell desktop and would like to wipe it clean and re-install Windows xp . I have the xp disk but do not have the original disk set issued with this computer .

Are there any places on this computer where I can find the data and burn a disk ? I do not want to get into the process and then get stuck halfway without a working computer .

Thanks for any info

Are you more concerned with wiping old files or do you want to install a fresh copy of windows?

Does the Dell have the option of making a system restore backup? I would google that for your computer model.

Ccleaner works great and I use it all the time.

Regards, JC.

If you have the XP CD......you should just put it in the CD drive, restart the PC with CD drive set as "First Boot" from BIOS.....and the CD will start up, and run you thru the process of wiping the slate clean
wink.gif

BUT, you'll want to use something like the jellybean program, to grab and record all your Microsoft Software IDs and serial numbers down......as you will need those to re-install XP......

Just boot from the XP CD. During the installation you'll be prompted to format the HDD on which you intend to install the OS anyhow. If you need to access the HDD to get data you can always just use an Ubuntu live CD.

Thanks for the info guys . CCleaner is great . I will try to boot from the XP cd .
I tried to remove some video software and keep getting the " error1327 invalid drive F" message . I was unable to stop this. It pops up constantly and prevents me from doing a normal shut down .

I normally have to unplug the computer to shut it down .Is it worth upgrading to windows 7 or 8 at this time ?

What I hate afterwards is the hypothetical 527 Windows Updates that follow a reinstallation of an XP disc from 7-8 years ago. My XP was about four years old when I reinstalled my XP disc and it took what seemed like several "separate" updates totaling around 12-15 hours to catch-up.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
What I hate afterwards is the hypothetical 527 Windows Updates that follow a reinstallation of an XP disc from 7-8 years ago. My XP was about four years old when I reinstalled my XP disc and it took what seemed like several "separate" updates totaling around 12-15 hours to catch-up.

I am certain, though, than you can get XP install disks that are pre-seeded with something as large as service packs (so the disk'd be "XP SP3", for example) and/ or with incremental updates rolled up in the disk. If it is possible to go and get an XP disk in a store or directly from MS, I would expect it to be more contemporary and up-to-date than a CD issued in 2001.

Originally Posted By: ahoier
If you have the XP CD......you should just put it in the CD drive, restart the PC with CD drive set as "First Boot" from BIOS.....and the CD will start up, and run you thru the process of wiping the slate clean
wink.gif

BUT, you'll want to use something like the jellybean program, to grab and record all your Microsoft Software IDs and serial numbers down......as you will need those to re-install XP......

+1 That's how I do it.

If it was a Dell disc, you would be able to boot to it and just run through the wizard to install XP from scratch. Windows will not need to be activated if was installed on Dell hardware.

But if you have a retail XP install disc, its going to want the license key off the Microsoft sticker that should be somewhere on your computer, and it needs to be the same version of Windows (Home, Pro, or Media Center) or it won't accept the key. And more than likely the automatic online activation won't work so you'd have to call to get that sorted out.

Either way, make sure you go to Dell's website first and download at least the chipset, display and network drivers for XP for your model and put it on a thumbdrive or CD. You should also go to http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/security-essentials-download and download the Microsoft Security Essentials installer along with the full Internet Explorer 8 installer here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=43 . You may not like or use IE8, but it really should be installed to simply get rid of the ancient IE6 which has major security issues.

Once XP is up and running, install chipset drivers, reboot, display drivers, reboot, network drivers, and reboot. Install IE8 and reboot. Install MSE and update it. Only after that should you run Windows update as many times as it takes to be fully up to date. Install Service Packs first, and by themselves. When you're compltely done, defrag afterwards. Go to http://downloads.malwarebytes.org/mbam-download.php to download and install Malwarebytes, update it, and run it once a week.

I've done Windows XP installs more times that I can count, and it's easy as long as you're prepared and know what to expect.

Wait!! You want to reinstall XP just because of that error message?

Don't!!! There are several easy steps to try and fix this before reinstalling XP.

1. Remove the offending video software using Add/Remove programs in the Control Panel

2. Go to the support site for the video software and search for a removal tool for the software. If there is one, DL and run it.

3. If the program has already been removed, run this MS Fixit, choose "problems with uninstall", then find the name of the video software.

MS fixit for install/uninstall

4. (Disclaimer: you need to know what you are doing before going to this step, otherwise skip it). Do a manual search of the registry for the title of the video software and delete any key containing it.

i do this kind of thing at work.
that Microsoft license sticker on the tower will do you no good- that key will not work. Your best bet is to have the blue Dell XP SP3 restore cd, that will work. Otherwise if you have your own copy of XP on a gold-ish fancy graphic disc then you need to make sure you have the correct key that goes with it. pm me if you need a blue dell xp disc.

not sure what your computer error is, it may be easily fixable and you do not need to reinstall windows xp.

but, reinstalling xp is very easy and is a guaranteed fix for any problems there are. only downside is you'll need to download all the windows updates which can take a while (depends on internet connection speed). You'll also need to have any other license keys and software to reinstall, the biggest is Microsoft Office if you have that. last thing you want to do is reinstall xp then be lost with office and have to buy another copy of that.

also as an fyi when you say "wipe a used pc clean" that comes across as you want to wipe your "hard drive" and any other device in it that stores data in order to destroy all data so that no one can ever see your data. you would do this if you were selling, donating, or getting rid of the pc. Since you are keeping the pc, you only need to go as far as "reformatting" your hard drive and "reinstalling" windows xp.

since you're on XP I assume the dell is an older model.
do not upgrade to windows 7, completely not worth it. chances are if you have an older printer or scanner it's not going to work with windows 7.

Last edited:
Thanks again, I will try the "Fix it" and thanks for the heads up on the windows 7 idea of the upgrade . I have the retail xp disc and if need be will reformat .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back