Old Geezer Desktop Choices Help

Too bad. I really liked Lenovo and used them for many years. Unfortunately yours is probably no longer supported with Win 11.

I've moved on to older, and more affordable, intel NUC's and it's now my new love. Newer NUC's will run your OS but are $$$.

Fortunately, my OS allows me to use pretty much any hardware architecture, old or new. But that's another story.

Big 3? HP, Dell and ?
Commodore 64

I should join this New Desktop Computer Old Gezzers Club. Bought this Dell Intel I'm typing-on in January 2013. Back then, Core i3 was dominating the continental desktop industry.

I am pleasantly surprised as to how much dust has collected inside this machine and it still surfs fast, despite being 3,000 miles from Newport Beach.

I recommend a Dell Machine Probably an i7 and most definitely without a built-in DVD Player. You could try to find an i7 with a built-in Sony Betamax or i7 with Magnavox VHS/VCR. Call Bill Gates office for nearest dealer.

Last edited:
Commodore 64

I should join this New Desktop Computer Old Gezzers Club. Bought this Dell Intel I'm typing-on in January 2013. Back then, Core i3 was dominating the continental desktop industry.

I am pleasantly surprised as to how much dust has collected inside this machine and it still surfs fast, despite being 3,000 miles from Newport Beach.

I recommend a Dell Machine Probably an i7 and most definitely without a built-in DVD Player. You could try to find an i7 with a built-in Sony Betamax or i7 with Magnavox VHS/VCR. Call Bill Gates office for nearest dealer.
You jest, I still have a Betamax machine from the 1980's which I retired when VHS became dominant. I have a couple of those too. I also have a DVD/VHS hybrid and a couple Non Blu Ray DVD players. All stacked on a shelf in the garage alongside the high end 2 channel amplifiers.preamplifiers/tuners/cd players tape decks, many speakers...all collecting dust in the garage. Now if I could only find an all encompassing tower with dos and 4k of ram I will be set.

You jest, I still have a Betamax machine from the 1980's which I retired when VHS became dominant. I have a couple of those too. I also have a DVD/VHS hybrid and a couple Non Blu Ray DVD players. All stacked on a shelf in the garage alongside the high end 2 channel amplifiers.preamplifiers/tuners/cd players tape decks, many speakers...all collecting dust in the garage. Now if I could only find an all encompassing tower with dos and 4k of ram I will be set.
I see your bet and raise you this...

Sears-934_54810350-Video-Disc-Player-CED-System-Made-in-Japan-in-1983-Capacitance-Electronic-D...jpg

Last edited:
Never saw or heard of it. How much media was ever produced for it? Sort of a mini Laserdisc thing. Cool!
Here's my earliest CD Player. If you squint you can see the preamp selector says DAD instead of CD. The naming convention was still in flux in 1983.
View attachment 209701
It was supposed to be the new big thing but by the time it got to market VHS and Laserdisc beat it out. Basically a big ol' vinyl video record. My Dad believed in it being a Sears product. 😅

How much storage space is on your existing PC and how much storage does it have? You definitely want an SSD, but 512GB is fairly small these days and you seem to keep your PCs for a while. May want to look into 1TB SSD to “future proof” it.

Thank you guys. Case closed. Decision made (external DVD drive). It just took me a few minutes to attain the "keen grasp of the obvious", lol. The old man bias had to catch up with reality, obsolescence, and reality. Ha!

Occasionally I just need affirmation that I am not missing something.
I still have a DVD drive in my PC. I build my own. About 5 years ago, I rebuilt my PC with some new guts but kept the same case and DVD drive. The new cases didn't have a space for a DVD drive. I hadn't bought a PC game in years so wanted to look at them. Had to ask a salesperson where the games were. He looked at me kind of funny and pointed to a small selection. They had about a dozen games/applications on DVD. I imagine that they don't have any these days.

Back