How To Thaw Frozen External Drain Pipe

At our daughter-in-law's parents' farm, the washing machine drains externally, running through a hole in an outside wall to outside the house, sloping down to an underground septic field. (Not sure I've got the terminology right, but the significant thing is that the ABS pipe is blocked by ice.)

One possible solution would be to wrap a heating cable around the pipe.

Another fix would be to cut the pipe before the blockage, and let it discharge into a gutter or trough on the ground (to channel the water away from the house).

I wondered about speeding things up by pouring something down the pipe to melt the ice. (Hot water has not worked.)

Our techs at work used to have some success with windshield-washer antifreeze, but I don't want to use anything toxic. (The methanol in the WW solution is toxic.)

Is there a non-toxic ice-melting product that would work here?

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

is the pipe above ground? If yes, then a hair dryer will do the trick
We don't know if the frozen part is above ground - the slope on the above-ground part is about 45°, which might have allowed the water to get to the underground portion before freezing.

How would this not freeze every winter in Winnipeg? Seems like a horrible design. It should exit underground below the frostline.
It's OK, it's a couple of hours north of Winnipeg, so no problem. 😉

Agreed, it's not ideal. They did drill a relief hole a few years ago, so they've encountered this previously.

If it were my place I would do a seasonal disconnect, or install a Y fitting to divert the water and discharge it directly in the winter.

At our daughter-in-law's parents' farm, the washing machine drains externally, running through a hole in an outside wall to outside the house, sloping down to an underground septic field. (Not sure I've got the terminology right, but the significant thing is that the ABS pipe is blocked by ice.)

One possible solution would be to wrap a heating cable around the pipe.

Another fix would be to cut the pipe before the blockage, and let it discharge into a gutter or trough on the ground (to channel the water away from the house).

I wondered about speeding things up by pouring something down the pipe to melt the ice. (Hot water has not worked.)

Our techs at work used to have some success with windshield-washer antifreeze, but I don't want to use anything toxic. (The methanol in the WW solution is toxic.)

Is there a non-toxic ice-melting product that would work here?

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

salt or ethanol

Can you use a snake to locate the plug ? Then expose the blocked area and either use a heat gun or just cut it out. It is a clog of some sort. Drains don't freeze unless there is clog.

Can you use a snake to locate the plug ? Then expose the blocked area and either use a heat gun or just cut it out. It is a clog of some sort. Drains don't freeze unless there is clog.

This. The drain is either clogged or has failed and is unable to drain.

If a suitable clean out is not on the drain then one should be installed.

Back