How to read Mobil 1 Date Codes

Does anyone know how to read the Mobil 1 date codes? For example, I have some that are marked X14H8 5371C and some more that are marked X12F8 5371. I appreciate your help.

good question...i have always wondered that...pennzoil and QS are clearly marked now

Not having a clue ...

Both H and F are below 12 in the alphabet ..so they could be months ..making the "8" sensible for the year and the two digits normal base 10 dates. The X may be the facility
21.gif

The 5371 and 5371C ..all common numbers aside from the "C". I can't seem to figure that being anything other than a product designation. I guess it would work for a facility too ..without having to figure the "C" part of it. Maybe they have 4 shifts (which would be required for 24/7 operations assuming an eight hour normal shift)

Are these the same product? If so, "nothing", "A", "B", and "C" may be revisions (pulling something out of my behind).

Standard month codes are

A = Jan
B= Feb
C= Mar

etc

"i" is skipped and not used to avoid confusion with numbers.

Cool. I think the C may be for the type of packaging it was in.

So my bottle of X05J8 would be made on the 5 September 2008. It's just like the formatting the American Meteorological Society uses for dates. Besides winning my battle with my health insurance company today, this made my day!

Last edited:
WOW........great response..thanks much.

This is Mobil 1 15W-50 silver cap in 1 quart bottles.I found a bottle I have had for about a year. It says X27J7 5501. If it was made September 27, 2007, that fits well with the purchase date.

According to Mobil tech support, since 2009, the date code has the following syntax. abcYYMDDd where abc are three characters representing plant code, YY is two digit year, M is a letter indicating month as specified by mva above, and DD is the two digit date. The trailing d is a letter indicating production run.

The code on Mobil 1 oil I recently purchased is 10220B03A. This stands for plant# 102, year 2020, month February, day 3rd of the month, and 1st production run on that day.

This code is hard to read. It is very lightly etched into the back label on the bottles. You have to try viewing the label at an odd angle against a good light source to be able to notice the code. See the attached picture.

IMG_8442.jpeg

According to Mobil tech support, since 2009, the date code has the following syntax. abcYYMDDd where abc are three characters representing plant code, YY is two digit year, M is a letter indicating month as specified by mva above, and DD is the two digit date. The trailing d is a letter indicating production run.

The code on Mobil 1 oil I recently purchased is 10220B03A. This stands for plant# 102, year 2020, month February, day 3rd of the month, and 1st production run on that day.

This code is hard to read. It is very lightly etched into the back label on the bottles. You have to try viewing the label at an odd angle against a good light source to be able to notice the code. See the attached picture.

View attachment 25229
The M1 filter I got says "012920AB 09:20"
How does this breakdown?

Thanks that helped alot.
M1 today20201017_165639.jpg

10220D27A

2020/April/27

Atul, if you're out there, Happy New Year.

I thought I had hung onto an older post that enabled me to decipher XOM's production date codes, but I couldn't find it when I went looking for it. Then, like any obsessive/compulsive -- i.e., your typical BITOG poster -- I spent way too much time hunting for the prior post when I stumbled on your post above. So, thank you. Your post was exactly what I was trying to find, and a fine way to start off the new year. (And I just noticed that your post was your first post on BITOG. You're gonna fit right in with this crowd.)

Hi RennWerks - thanks for the comments and a Happy New Year to you and all the forum members! Glad you found my post useful. Hope to contribute and learn more in the new year.

does a change in msds indicate that on the day of the update of the MSDS the oil changed formulation at the plant also?

Back