How to protect a car from salt air and mist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Boomer
Salt mist is VERY corrosive,and like the poster says, it can cause rust very quickly. I have a friend who owns a house at the shore and spends many months of the year there. He deals with it by 1). Waxing every month or so; and 2) putting a cover over the car when it is not in use.

+1 I would pick up a bottle of Collinite and wax it every other month. Wash weekly. At least bi weekly and a car cover is a must. Salt air is one of the toughest things to deal with. These will help but it is almost impossible to fight air. These will help prevent it as much as possible. Also consider having the undercarrage sprayed. Most people forget this until their foot goes through the floor
shocked.gif

Might want to give the "Salt Away" product a try. Boat owners swear by it. Its not a coating, so much as surfectants that do a good job of dissolving the salt and allowing it to rinse away.

I'm sure that it wouldn't hurt your paint, but I don't know if it would strip your sealant. I would experiment. I would apply a reputedly durable sealant, Duragloss, Collinite, Klasse come to mind, and wash the car with the Salt away as part of a wash between sealant applications. If the sealant/wax survives, then you have it made, at least with respect to the topside of your car.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Collinite 845 or 476?

Yes, I was thinking this as I read down the thread. Collinite 845 insulator wax is the absolute best thing for this situation and it produces a good shine, too.

I never take my cars to an automatic car wash but you may want to consider that for the under-body wash, that's probably more of a worry than the finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back