How to best make a ten-sided wrench out of 2mm thin steel?

I can't find a ten-sided (decagon) wrench with a flat-to-flat diameter of 36.65 mm. I don't see any other way than rough-cutting the shape out of 2-3mm thin steel with a small rotary cutting/grinding disk and then filing by hand. Where is Goldfinger's laser when I need it? Any better ideas?

Last edited:
Have it 3d printed with one of the new high strength materials or in steel with a water jet. I have had NLA interior bracket parts made with nylon which are much better than OE, the cost was not bad at all and I kept the file in case I need one again.

You might have luck taking a 12 point wrench, maybe 28-29mm in diameter, and doing your grinder thing.

If you do this, consider making a "flank drive" where the corners aren't machined all that carefully, but the ten points that contact the middle of your mystery nut are.

Maybe rough it in with the grinder, then put it in a vise, and go at the final cut with a file.

I could have it done but it would cost too much with wire edm.

Need a laser or waterjet.

That is 1 7/16 in english measurement

If there is a part that requires it, don't you think they already have a tool for it? Or use a Channel Locks or a strap wrench.
Have you ever seen a Channel Locks 2 or 3 mm thick? He obviously has a special needs situation. I have ground down cheap wrenches for that need but not down to that thin dimension.

Last edited:
If there is a part that requires it, don't you think they already have a tool for it? Or use a Channel Locks or a strap wrench.
Not anymore. The part that requires this size wrench has not been made in 60 years. The largest size available these days is 32 mm. The people who have the larger size versions hold on to them because there are no replacements available.

Having the tool made is not fun. I'm sure our shop guys could make this. They have tools - all the tools.

Last edited:
What's it for?

It's for an unusual watch back. I can use a case opener with the kind of Jaxa bits shown in the picture but it's a little risky. A ring wrench is much less likely to slip and scratch the case back. And no, the sticky rubber ball does not always work. 12 and 15-sided ring spanners are available in a variety of sizes, ten-sided ones not so much.

Find a fabricator, give dimensions, get part. I bought this and have been happy with it:

Cut with cnc laser. Maybe this outfit could make your one-off tool custom. You can see the rough cost to make based upon the linked item.

Find a fabricator, give dimensions, get part. I bought this and have been happy with it:

Cut with cnc laser. Maybe this outfit could make your one-off tool custom. You can see the rough cost to make based upon the linked item.
If I want it made I'll just give the specs to a machinist at work. I'd rather make the tool myself, though.

If I want it made I'll just give the specs to a machinist at work. I'd rather make the tool myself, though.
Probably not that hard to do with a drill press and a set of files. Mark the stock, drill small holes, cut carefully with the appropriate blade, file to an accurate fit. Then cut the tool out from the sheet stock once satisfied.

Probably not that hard to do with a drill press and a set of files. Mark the stock, drill small holes, cut carefully with the appropriate blade, file to an accurate fit. Then cut the tool out from the sheet stock once satisfied.
That's my plan. Drill holes in the corners. Use a jeweler's saw followed by small files. Just wondering if there was a better plan. I'd hate to spend more than an hour on this.

Last edited:
It's for an unusual watch back. I can use a case opener with the kind of Jaxa bits shown in the picture but it's a little risky. A ring wrench is much less likely to slip and scratch the case back. And no, the sticky rubber ball does not always work. 12 and 15-sided ring spanners are available in a variety of sizes, ten-sided ones not so much.

For a watch back go to Esslinger.

For a watch back go to Esslinger.

10-sided is not available in larger than 32 mm. Esslinger and Otto Frei are where I buy my watch tools, parts,, and supplies. 10-sided is rare to begin with (Panerai and some Chinese brands, I think).

Last edited:
I knocked this out in 45 minutes. I drilled the corners with an 0.5 mm drill bit and used a jeweler's saw with a very fine blade to cut out the shape. I used bar soap as a lubricant. See the picture in one of my previous posts. I then used a small file to smoothen the cuts and a very small round file to round out the corners. I still need to sand the wrench smooth and I may put wooden scales on the handle. It's a bit ruff but good enuff. No high-tech required.

Last edited:
Back