How often to use fuel injector cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never. I also don't limit myself to a single source for gasoline, nor do I pay the premium for "top tier" gas. I haven't had a fuel related issue since the old carburetor days either.

Took apart injectors on a 97 lesabre with 100k on it a few months ago; never had any FI cleaner ran through them. They looked pristine and the pattern looked great. I would only use a FI cleaner in certain, special applications, like manually (dissembling) cleaning gummed up injectors, carbs, etc. Don't think it does much running it through a tank of gas with all the other cleaners in quality gasoline.

I run a thing a techron through about every 10k, I do go a little further on chevron gas though than I do the other brands here in town, most of the time I gas up where ever its cheapest, but the shell station down the road has gotten a little more competative lately so I've filled up there a couple times now.

The main reason I run a dose of techron through annually is to try and keep the sulphur build up at bay on my sending unit. I always fill at the Meijer gas attached to my store, the fuel comes straight from the local refinery. ( pretty much all the gas here does, they say they supply 25% of the gas sold in OH.) Never had any problems with our gas, but I'm sure it doesn't have anything in it beyond what is mandatory.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Never. nor do I pay the premium for "top tier" gas.

I don't know where you live, but I just drove to Florida and back from Ohio and at every fuel stop along the way the top tier stations were the exact same price as the others right next to them.

Top Tier generally isn't going to cost more. The increased solvent levels are still fractions of a percent and add less than a penny per gallon to cost. If it's readily available it almost seems dumb NOT to use it. The huge QT stations around here sell TT gas and they generally have some of the lowest prices in town.

Exactly. As I've said before Costco gas is almost always cheaper than all the others and they are top tier. In my area most of the other top tier gasolines are the same or sometimes cheaper than others. For example the 7/11 and Shell down the street are literally next door to each other and both are the same price. Occasionally Shell is a couple of cents cheaper. Must be different in Pop's area. LOL.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: nyumski
Never use that..
See youtube from Chris Fix..he tried a few brand of fuel injector and u will see the result..

For injector, i usually use Liquimoly Diesel Purge..how to clean the injector using it? See youtube..it explains clearly

I just watched. The Chris Fix tests were awesome, but they are inconclusive for both fuel injectors and piston tops. In his Sea Foam test it was sprayed through the intake so it was 100x stronger than the Techron test which was put in the gas. So strong his plugs were wet when he pulled them out. But there was some good in his tests, it showed that the gumout all in one was weak so I won't be using that again. And also his tests tell me that a top tier gas is the best most cost-effective approach long-term. If your only option is no name gas then I would use a bottle just before an oil change on occasion. But I will admit after watching those videos I don't think any of the fuel system cleaners including the ones with PEA are worth the money. Just occasional maintenance and I don't really think it's doing much. Better off pulling out the injectors and cleaning them. And doing a piston soak every 30000 miles. That would be more effective than running bottle after $6 bottle through the fuel system. I don't do anything to my old camry. So I would think in a newer vehicle it's not even necessary.

Does anyone know if fuel injector cleaner goes bad? I just dug up an old bottle of Synpower fuel injection cleaner while cleaning the garage. Wouldn't surprise me if it was 5-7 years old.

Run GUMOUT a few times a year, like to put a bottle in the tank when filling up for a long highway trip
thumbsup2.gif

I've never used any kind of fuel cleaner and always buy the cheapest gas. Driving for since 1968 and never had a fuel problem. I guess I've saved a lot of money.

Thanks for asking this question. I came here looking for an answer to this as I've never used a FI cleaner in my 95 Maxima with 65k miles. But, I've always worried I should have been using a cleaner all these years. I always use top tier gas. I asked the master Nissan mechanic at the dealership I bought the car at back in 1995 and he said to never use them. He said it would make the spark plugs operate too hot, which I still don't understand.

I also watched the Chris Fix videos recently. Very interesting. He concluded only the SeaFoam product worked well. I know the Toyota dealerships around here are fond of BG 44k. Is this a good product if I should decide to try one out? I also understand some shop offer the BG 44k induction service. Again, I don't know if this is worthwhile or not.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Never. 675,000 miles on Honda engines in the past 12 years and never a fuel injection problem, engines run like new.

What kind of mpg do you get? Brand of gas?
And do you think that adding some kind of additive would perhaps clean out your fuel system or help clean your injectors or fuel system?

After you try a great additive that has great luck with certain vehicles and the fact it may make your mileage per tank go up... Then get back to us.

But only if you dare to get maybe 2-3 mpg better with less aggressive driving?

If you use top of the range fuel from a major brand oil company, Like Mobil, Shell or BP, there is no need to use fuel additives.

Alas I use the cheapest supermarket fuel around in both my 1.9TD and a 1.2 (16v) petrol town car.
I use Liqui Moly Diesel Purge to fill up the fuel filter housing every 20K main service to avoid long term gum deposits in the injectors.

I'm still looking for a cheapish petrol fuel additive, as Techron and some of the well known US products are not available in the EU. I will probably use one of the Liqui Moly in tank additives, although they made a number of different ones and I have not figured out which one is best yet.

LM fuel additives PDF:

look up PIBSI

then look at oil formulating guides, specifically 2-stroke oils.

How cheap do you want it?

choose right and you get esters, solvents, dispersants and anti-wear/detergency additives in 1 convenient package.

Originally Posted By: NissanMaxima
Thanks for asking this question. I came here looking for an answer to this as I've never used a FI cleaner in my 95 Maxima with 65k miles. But, I've always worried I should have been using a cleaner all these years. I always use top tier gas. I asked the master Nissan mechanic at the dealership I bought the car at back in 1995 and he said to never use them. He said it would make the spark plugs operate too hot, which I still don't understand.

I also watched the Chris Fix videos recently. Very interesting. He concluded only the SeaFoam product worked well. I know the Toyota dealerships around here are fond of BG 44k. Is this a good product if I should decide to try one out? I also understand some shop offer the BG 44k induction service. Again, I don't know if this is worthwhile or not.

Concluded Seafoam did well, because that was the only one he submeted to soaking. Of course soacking the piston would clean better that just add to fuel and burn it...

A fill up Before every oil change so about 5k miles. Techron or redline sl1. Because hyundai said it was a good idea. So do I.

I have used cleaners for years and usually buy BG44K or now Red lines fuel cleaner. I have used both in my Jags, Lexus and also others. Use it in a tank 300 miles before your next oil change. One full 15oz bottle of Redline should do you well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back