How often do you guys run your small engines???

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I'm winterizing all my power equipment, I was wondering if I should start them up every so often this winter, or just wait until Spring. Lawnmowers, weedeater, blower, generators, etc. What do you guys do? Wait? 2 weeks? A month?

Thanks

Anything with a gas/diesel engine, once started should be brought to engine temp and the muffler hot for it to last the longest. From cars to weed whackers.

You need to get rid of condensation in the oil and exhaust.

I would however run and load test your generator on a monthly basis. I would always run it with stabilized gas 12 months of the year and keep 5-20 gallons of stabilized gas for the generator. So I would not really winterize a generator. You need a generator for storms, grid failures or an accident that took out a string of utility poles.

For some reason generators are supposed to be run more often, like every couple weeks or so. That is apparently because of the generator not the engine. I do notice my generator being very hard starting if I have not run it frequently.

Ha, I once had a motorcycle (500 Suzuki 2-stroke from late 1970s) that sat for about two years with fuel in the tank. Fired right up.

Gas back then didn't have ethanol in it .

I don't usually touch my OPE during off season , I just put Stab-il in them with the tank full and give them one last run .

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
For some reason generators are supposed to be run more often, like every couple weeks or so. That is apparently because of the generator not the engine. I do notice my generator being very hard starting if I have not run it frequently.

Generators usually require residual magnetism from the rotor to get the ball rolling. If it sits too long the residual magnetism can fall to a point where it won't excite, and then you have to flash it with a battery, or sometimes you can plug in a drill/motor into the voltage outlet and spin the drill by hand to flash enough current to get it generating.

No idea how to flash a brushless rotor if it loses magnetism.

With the exception of the generator, I would not worry about starting your OPE's during storage. You would have to get them up to operating temp everytime you started them during storage. Change the oil, treat the gas and all will be fine. As already mentioned, with the generators it is the actual generator and not the engine that can have issues if not ran for a period of time.

The only time I run my OPE is when I need it. For the off season, I try to run them out of fuel, with a rich mix of Sta-Bil and/or 2 cycle oil, mixed in with the fuel.

My ~1600watt generator has sat a few years at a time and will still start on it's first or second pull once fueled.

I've read of this generator loosing it's magic, from sitting too long phenomena for quite some time. I'm sure it's possible, but I've never experienced this or heard of it happening to anyone.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JTK
The only time I run my OPE is when I need it. For the off season, I try to run them out of fuel, with a rich mix of Sta-Bil and/or 2 cycle oil, mixed in with the fuel.

My ~1600watt generator has sat a few years at a time and will still start on it's first or second pull once fueled.

I've read of this generator loosing it's magic, from sitting too long phenomena for quite some time. I'm sure it's possible, but I've never experienced this or heard of it happening to anyone.

The issue with some generators isn't starting the engine. There's no difference in the operating principles of a gas generator engine or the same type engine on any other machine. It starts or it doesn't. It has nothing to do with the fact that it's on a generator.

The issue with generators, is that the generator end may have a loss of excitation. The engine will fire up, the generator will spin but no electricity will be generated.

From the little I know of this "magic" it's a slight bit of electrical current generated from a source within the generator to assist in getting the AC output current initiated. Not sure where or how the exciter current comes from/works, however, in most cases if the excitement is lost, it's usually due to a electrical/mechanical failure such as a failed component or short/broken circuit.

From my experience, leaving the generators sit for extended periods of time has never been an issue for me. I've been running a diesel generator for over 30 years with no issues whatsoever and it sits in an unheated shed all winter, usually six months. I've also owned a cheap Champion emergency generator here at home for a few years now that I fire up and test once a year. No problems there either.

When I put an engine away for the season. It's put away. Not mid winter start ups. Just clean it up and put it away usually with fresh oil, but that's more personal preference than necessity.

Use each piece of equipment for the last time this fall and then put it to sleep for the winter months.
Leaving it dry of fuel is an option, but this can cause carb gaskets to dry out leading to leaks next season. OTOH, I had a lawnmower sit dry and unstarted for nearly five years and it started and ran on the first pull once I put fuel in it with no leaks.
I've tried Stabil in the past and saw no benefit with it.
A can of either is your friend in getting a small engine to run after months without use, if you've left fuel in it.
Anything that has a battery should either be on a tender or should be given a periodic refresher charge.
This is for the life of the battery, of course.
I've had good experience with the cheap HF float chargers, so something to keep a battery alive need not be expensive.
Never start an engine unless you intend to put it to work.
It does no good and may do some harm.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Use each piece of equipment for the last time this fall and then put it to sleep for the winter months.
Leaving it dry of fuel is an option, but this can cause carb gaskets to dry out leading to leaks next season. OTOH, I had a lawnmower sit dry and unstarted for nearly five years and it started and ran on the first pull once I put fuel in it with no leaks.
A can of either is your friend in getting a small engine to run after months without use, if you've left fuel in it.
Anything that has a battery should either be on a tender or should be given a periodic refresher charge.
I've had good experience with the cheap HF float chargers, so something to keep a battery alive need not be expensive.

Which Stabil did you use? With current ethanol fuel blends, you MUST use the green MARINE Stabil. Unfortunately, I have found the red Stabil to not be very useful anymore storage-wise.

Also, using ether to start an engine will do more damage than starting an engine without working it ever will. I've seen engines with holes in the piston from ether, as well as cracked cylinder walls, broken timing keys, etc.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

Also, using ether to start an engine will do more damage than starting an engine without working it ever will. I've seen engines with holes in the piston from ether, as well as cracked cylinder walls, broken timing keys, etc.

Tell that to my POS yard vac with a Tecumseh engine and even bigger POS carb... The primer quit working probably five years ago, so I've been starting it on either every time it's run since... The air cleaner was just getting in the way of using the spray, I tossed it on the shelf and it hasn't been in place since...

I never run my stuff after the last usage of the season, just make sure they still have some gas with Sta-bil... The mowers usually start on first pull and always by third, usually takes four or five for the weed eater(same if I'd used it earlier that day)...

Originally Posted By: nitehawk55
If the generators have to be run what is the shelf live before they are sold new ?

Shelf life is much longer than any retail business would let it remain in inventory. We're talking decades before "flashing" is needed to revive the stator's mojo.

Which Stabil did you use? With current ethanol fuel blends, you MUST use the green MARINE Stabil. Unfortunately, I have found the red Stabil to not be very useful anymore storage-wise.

Interesting. All I've ever used has been the red bottle of StaBil. No issues here. IIRC I use 2oz to 5 gallons.

Not enough to stop condensation from bunging up the ignition system in between cuts
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

+1 on the blue Stabil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back