How much to custom make this muffler delete pipe?

I've been driving with this muffler removed and love the sound. Want to get a mandrel bent replacement to mount between the exhaust pipe and tip. Then I can swap between muffler and no muffler at will. It's 3 inch diameter stainless steel with one bend and a hanger. How much should a muffler shop charge to make this pipe?

IMG_8511.JPG

IME, if you want it properly mandrel / constant radius bent, it will cost more than $50. But not crazy expensive, maybe twice that.

Why can't you cut the elbow off the old muffler then straight pipe that section?
I've been driving with this muffler removed and love the sound. Want to get a mandrel bent replacement to mount between the exhaust pipe and tip. Then I can swap between muffler and no muffler at will. It's 3 inch diameter stainless steel with one bend and a hanger. How much should a muffler shop charge to make this pipe?

I'm surprised that a muffler shop would do that, considering it's most likely illegal.
It might be illegal in some places, but you're not deleting any emissions equipment.

I had a muffler delete on my SUV. It was still quieter than much of the aftermarket exhausts you hear on rice cars, as well as Mustangs, MOPAR's and Camaros.

^ It's not that it's emissions, it's that it's illegal to do a muffler delete in most if not all 50 states, or a threshold noise level consideration, possibly to address that some vehicles have multiple mufflers or so-called resonators. Washington DC is not a state tho', so not sure how law enforcement would address it. Code:

Washington D.C.

D.C. Mun. Regs. Tit. 20

§ 2812 ALTERATION OF MOTOR VEHICLE EXHAUST SYSTEM

2812.1 No person shall modify or alter the exhaust system of a motor vehicle or motorcycle in a manner that will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the vehicle above the level permitted under § 2811 of this chapter.
2812.2 No person shall use or operate a motor vehicle or a motorcycle having an exhaust system that has been modified or altered in a manner that will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the vehicle above the level permitted under § 2811 of this chapter.

§ 2811 OPERATIONAL LIMITS FOR MOTOR VEHICLES
2811.1 No person shall operate a motorcycle, motor vehicle, or combination of motor vehicles of a type subject to registration under D.C. Code § 40-103 (1990 Repl. Vol.) at any time, or under any condition of grade, load, acceleration, or deceleration in a manner that exceeds the maximum noise limits designated in the table of this subsection for the specified speed limits, measured at a distance of fifty feet (50 ft.) from the center line of travel by a sound level meter switched to the A-weighting network, in accordance with such nationally recognized test procedures as the administering agency may prescribe in accordance with § § 2700.7 through 2700.9 of Chapter 27 of this subtitle.

(a)Any motor vehicle with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of ten thousand pounds (10,000 lbs.) or more, and any combination of vehicles towed by that motor vehicle: 35 MPH or less: 86 dB(A) Over 35 MPH: 90 dB(A) Stationary Run-up: 88 dB(a)

^ It's not that it's emissions, it's that it's illegal to do a muffler delete in most if not all 50 states, or a threshold noise level consideration, possibly to address that some vehicles have multiple mufflers or so-called resonators. Washington DC is not a state tho', so not sure how law enforcement would address it. Code:

Washington D.C.

D.C. Mun. Regs. Tit. 20

§ 2812 ALTERATION OF MOTOR VEHICLE EXHAUST SYSTEM

2812.1 No person shall modify or alter the exhaust system of a motor vehicle or motorcycle in a manner that will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the vehicle above the level permitted under § 2811 of this chapter.
2812.2 No person shall use or operate a motor vehicle or a motorcycle having an exhaust system that has been modified or altered in a manner that will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the vehicle above the level permitted under § 2811 of this chapter.

§ 2811 OPERATIONAL LIMITS FOR MOTOR VEHICLES
2811.1 No person shall operate a motorcycle, motor vehicle, or combination of motor vehicles of a type subject to registration under D.C. Code § 40-103 (1990 Repl. Vol.) at any time, or under any condition of grade, load, acceleration, or deceleration in a manner that exceeds the maximum noise limits designated in the table of this subsection for the specified speed limits, measured at a distance of fifty feet (50 ft.) from the center line of travel by a sound level meter switched to the A-weighting network, in accordance with such nationally recognized test procedures as the administering agency may prescribe in accordance with § § 2700.7 through 2700.9 of Chapter 27 of this subtitle.

(a)Any motor vehicle with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of ten thousand pounds (10,000 lbs.) or more, and any combination of vehicles towed by that motor vehicle: 35 MPH or less: 86 dB(A) Over 35 MPH: 90 dB(A) Stationary Run-up: 88 dB(a)

1) I don't live in Washington DC.
2) DC can't do enough about the car jackings, robberies or shootings, I doubt they have a task force aimed at loud cars.
3) How many deaths do loud cars cause compared to drunk drivers, texting drivers, drivers on their phone? Maybe concentrate law enforcement on them instead of the cars.

^ I'm not arguing, simply stating that it's highly likely to be illegal and this would be a reason a (reputable/liable) shop might not want to do it... and by extension, it could fail a vehicle inspection but you have that covered if you swap the muffler back in.

Personally, if it was really loud I'd have a problem with that too on public roads but it is unlikely I can hear it from here. ;)

^ I'm not arguing, simply stating that it's highly likely to be illegal and this would be a reason a (reputable/liable) shop might not want to do it... and by extension, it could fail a vehicle inspection but you have that covered if you swap the muffler back in.

Personally, if it was really loud I'd have a problem with that too on public roads but it is unlikely I can hear it from here. ;)
A counter to your 'non-argument', it's perfectly legal to modify your exhaust (up to and including straight pipes) in the whole of Tennessee, unless specified otherwise by local (city) ordinance. He's probably more than fine. And as he stated, the police really have more important things to worry about, unless you start being a total dill when you get pulled over for something else (if it is illegal in your area).

Cheers!

1) I don't live in Washington DC.
2) DC can't do enough about the car jackings, robberies or shootings, I doubt they have a task force aimed at loud cars.
3) How many deaths do loud cars cause compared to drunk drivers, texting drivers, drivers on their phone? Maybe concentrate law enforcement on them instead of the cars.
1) Your signature says, “Suburban Washington DC”.
2) So, it was reasonable to quote DC law.
3) Complaining about the law doesn’t change it.

Back