How much is your MPG off in the winter cold?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Down about 1.5 MPG, went from 25 to 23.5. The first few miles when started cold, the UltraGauge shows really lousy mileage, compared to a warmed up start.

I usually get 32 mpg in the summer, 40 mile highway drive to work, a handful of stoplights thrown in. Now, I'm getting 28-29, same driving habits. I've got synthetic in the motor, tranny, and rear diff. The winter blend gas noticeably cuts my performance down.

Over 10% but less than 15%, and winters aren't even terribly cold here, usually around 40F . It ranges from 27-30.5 in the summer while ranging from 25-26.5 in the winters (for my typical drving which city/highway wise ranges from a mix of 30/70 to 0/100). I don't know to what extent it's the higher ethanol content, and to what extent it's thermodynamics, or even computer settings in the air fuel mix.

Quote:
Usually mine is off 10% or so, but this year it's off 15% to 20%.

Yes, this year it really shocked me, I'd never seen anything as poor as 25 mpg before for mostly hwy driving in previous winters. If I remember right, in previous years the difference was less than 10%, maybe like 1.5 mpg's, now it's over a 10% difference which is a real shocker.

Some of the gas pumps, I'm noticing, say 10% ethanol. So, I suspect the much higher ethanol is the difference between this winter and the previous ones. It's been a warmer winter than usual too, so it isn' the temperature.

Last edited:
Honestly, in the Jeep, I don't find it really makes a difference. In the summer, the use of A/C evens out, and if anything, hurts more than, the cold penalty. I pulled my best highway tank ever (21.3 mpg) in 25* weather. Even without A/C in the fall and spring, I don't notice much difference compared to winter.

Our Malibu was hitting (generally) 28-30mpg, now I'm averaging about 25-26. The Windstar was somewhere in the 19-20 range, and now it's about 16-17..hard to tell with the van as our records are not as complete with that one.

Winter gas with more morning idling kills it.

somedays with 2500 lbs in the back,,14mpg, at 1000 lbs maybe 14.5 and unloaded 15.5 to 16,5,,,at a steady 62mph, and thats without hills or mountains,,,,dodge one ton ram van lead sled, 318 v8 working mans ride, t6, synthetic in rearend, ancient technology ride, , 5600lbs dry,,3000max cargo wgt , but usually no more then then 2500 lbs in the back. I wanted a sprinter from santa,,it didnt show.

5 m.p.g. less for both YARIS .
frown.gif

I'm thinking the cardboard in the grill trick is the way to go. Shield the engine from all that cool air streaming in. It would fit my application well.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
I wanted a sprinter from santa,,it didnt show.

Are you crazy? Do you realize how hard it is to drag a raised-roof van through all that cold air? Reindeer hater...

lol.gif

Originally Posted By: rslifkin
Honestly, in the Jeep, I don't find it really makes a difference. In the summer, the use of A/C evens out, and if anything, hurts more than, the cold penalty. I pulled my best highway tank ever (21.3 mpg) in 25* weather. Even without A/C in the fall and spring, I don't notice much difference compared to winter.

25 degrees is not that cold really and a highway trip means the engine/drivetrain was fully warmed up so the temp really did not effect anything.

True. However, both last winter and this winter (so far), I've found it strange that my tank-to-tank mpg isn't off enough from summer to notice, given the same type of driving for both. I would expect a drop, but don't seem to get a noticeable one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back