How many of you run VM's ? (Virtual Machines) my

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got 3 on my main computer (testing software compatibility mainly). Then I've got 2 on my Home server (FTP,HTTP,Default household download location etc...) wanted to keep a lot of that on one server, and keep a lot of em isolated.

I not a computer guy, but when I first saw your post I thought you were referring to VM diesels from Italy.

I have one VM XP instance on my Ubuntu box, running under Virtual Box OSE. The only reason I set it up was to see how well it would run; quite impressive I must say.

Plenty of Xen hosts where I work....

I have an idea of what VM is but I never played with it. If you don't mind can you elaborate for us on its functions and how you set it up?

A VM is essentially when you run another OS (Operating System) on top of another one (Their are application specific VM's, java being one) for example, I can run Windows Vista as my main (Host) OS, then install a Virtual machine manager application such as VMware player, VirtualBox etc... and then create a VM, when I open the VM it will look (inside of a program window) in much the same way that your computer does when it first boots up, from here you can install another OS inside of this VM. Then run that OS from within that VM without the host OS and Guest OS ever conflicting. This enables you to run applications that are conflicting on the same computer to save power and computer space, the effect on maintenace is also pronounced. (If a Vm goes down just copy your backup vm over and restart it, usually under 2-3 minutes.) This is Overly Generalized but should give you a idea, if I din't explain something, let me know and I'll try my best to answer it.

Can you share files between the two OS assuming they are using compatible file-systems?

Thanks for the explanation, that makes me want to play with the VM stuff now.

In my office, I stil have 4 OSs in 1 VM machine mainly for security testings; used to run 2 OSs in my home PC but ever since my mobo died, I decided not to do that (already gave up on hosting websites through my home line so no need for multiple VMs).

Q.

I'm very good with VB Macro's in excel and I just got a hold of a copy of VB-6 so I'm now playing with that.
20.gif

I will add this to my list!
grin2.gif

I have a XP Home instance for my wife, a high school teacher who from time to time needs to use proprietary, Windows-only software for things like generating report cards and such.

I also have an instance of XP on my MacBook Pro loaded with some Windows-only audio and video production software to deal with some clients who have begun a project on that software and need me to do something.

Often, too, when I am installing Ubuntu (and now Debian instead of Ubuntu. I have found Ubuntu *perfect* for first time users, but if I am to administer the system, and don't need all the hand-holding, I prefer the speed and stability of Debian) on a friend/ family/ neighbour/ client's system, I will take their original Windows installation and mirror it as a VM, both so that they have all of their data (just in case I forgot to migrate something), and to continue to be able to use whatever Windows-only stuff they need.

I use VirtualBox 3 (the non-OSE, or Open Source Edition, which gives me access to USB devices whereas the OSE does not).

I use VMware extensively, and have used it since its inception. It is a fantastic product.

On this box, I use a Linux host, running XP Pro, hackintosh, FreeBSD, Windows 7, Vista....etc whatever I feel like running on it.

This is a Quad-Core (Q6600) running at 3.6Ghz with 8GB of RAM though on a 64-bit version of Linux, so its got some pretty good horsepower for running multiple OS's simultaneously....... YMMV.

VMWare user here for a long time on both Windows Server and Linux hosts. I find that that Linux hosts run the VM's a bit faster than their Windows counterparts.

My work PC's are all Windows-based with VMWare workstation, one has 6-8VM's at all times it seems. The other has 1 admin VM. One of these days, I'll convert one of these hosts to Ubunutu...I did it temporarily and the HP machine with the Q6600 ran it quite well. NewEgg had a recertified sale and I got three of these for my office. Heck, hard to beat free 24" flat panels with the purchase! :)

Dunno how we ever put up with bare-metal servers when administering VM's is vastly easier.

I'm running XP as VM on my RTM W7 x64 desktop.

When my main OS was XP, I ran Ubuntu, Vista x64 and W7 x64 Beta in VM all for testing software compatibility. Alas after all that, the one program I was testing it for does not work in W7 (x64) yet.

Bottom line, I find it quite useful even for a non-IT type tinkerer like me.

I just starting using vBox on my main PC at work, a Win7 host. Once I figured out how to get past the dreaded agp440.sys problem, the VMWare-based VM to boot in vBox 3.04, it was easy.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324764

Now I just need to figure out how to easily move VM's between vBox hosts. Is there an easy way to do that like VMWare Workstation?

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I'm very good with VB Macro's in excel and I just got a hold of a copy of VB-6 so I'm now playing with that.
20.gif

I will add this to my list!
grin2.gif

VB6 is pretty outdated. About 10 years old, like getting exited over Windows 98.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back