How many of you ride in the rain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have ridden from Pigeon Forge to Townsend to Foothills Pkwy to and down Tail of the Dragon in blinding thunderstorms that kept following us around the area, in a half helmet. Just slow down, don't lean as much in the turns, stay off painted lines, and you'll be fine..

The guy riding behind me made the remark "did you see that toddler pushing the baby carriage pass you on the Tail?".
Sorry, I'm not laying down $35k worth of bike for nobody!

Last edited:
I dont like it. Its the bad vision that i hate most.
As i am starting to getting older and Motorcycling is a Hobby, i only ride on sunny days. But if the rain is coming, preferable on the way back home, it´s O.K.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ChristianReske
I dont like it. Its the bad vision that i hate most.

Me too.
I don't worry too much when commuting but long rides under rain is miserable.
Last year I did a 2-day ride. 2 days soaked. Not so fun.

little rain never bothered me last big rain was in Indy has 4 inches in 3 hours good set of tires really helps when riding a big bike in the rain

If it's raining before I plan to go out on a ride, I will wait for it to stop. If I happen to get caught in rain while riding, I've found I usually will ride out of it in a bit. If it looks like I'm heading into it, I pull over and put the rain gear on. Rain is part or the riding experience that shouldn't strike fear in your heart and cause you to run for shelter. Be ready for it, and don't let a shower ruin a day you planned to ride. It's only water.,,,

I commute to work all year round so getting wet occasionally is inevitable. It's a state of mind and part of the routine being prepared to get wet but I really don't like heavy rain as grossly reduced visibility makes it dangerous. That said I don't find myself in that position very often and it's mostly light showers.

The thing that bothers me most about riding in the rain is the bike gets filthy. Also I will not leave the bike stood out unprotected. I put a breathable cover over it even if it's already wet. The wind circulating under the cover soon dries it out.

Yeah, seriously. About as bad as the time I hit a possum dead square in a light rain. The stink in the shop the next morning was unbelievable, if it had rained harder on the way home it might not have been so bad.

Originally Posted By: Joshua_Skinner
I intend to ride more this year and if riding in a season other than Summer around here it's likely to involve wet roads even if it's not raining in that moment. That being said my next tires are going to be these: http://motorcycle.michelinman.com/tires/michelin-pilot-road-4

The bike is a 1998 Honda VFR800 with 70k miles so while it doesn't have full beater status it's certainly no garage queen.

Check out Avon Roadrunners too. I lived on the Olympic Penninsula for a while, it seemed like it never stopped raining, and those tires were excellent. 130 mph rain tire, good tread life, holds on corners fantastic, great load carrying.

The reasons I avoid riding in the rain are:

Poor visibility

Poor traction

Very uncomfortable if ANY part of the body gets wet

Makes a huge mess of the bike

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Just curious how many of you ride motorcycles in the rain? I'm supposed to be taking a ride down to the tail of the dragon all weekend for my birthday, but my buddy is trying to back out because there are supposed to be scattered thunderstorms. We both have rain gear.

I'm wanting to just do it. I'm not particularly worried about getting a little wet. Do you guys avoid taking trips/rides if there is a chance of rain?

Rain, snow, anything... that is, when I was young. I don't ride at all anymore now.

Originally Posted By: sunruh
you havent ridden in the rain until the dye in gloves turns your hands black and doesnt scrub off!

Same with your feet/shoes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back