How many miles on your honda?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: XS650
Originally Posted By: BrianWC
.... but I was telling the wife last night, as we were driving back from a weekend visit to relatives, that we should wait until we can afford to buy a new vehicle w/ no trade in ....

Getting out from under paying interest on consumable items (including cars) is one of the best presents you and your wife can give each other
thumbsup2.gif

Thankfully, even with three kids, we should soon be able to so (as long as we keep paying the interest on the med school loan).
crazy2.gif

The old Hondas and Toyotas from mid/late 90s have very good build qualities and therefore last a long time. Many people knew about these but do not want to pay new car depreciation, so everyone is trying to buy a used one, therefore make them not depreciate much.

The opposite goes for the Domestics.

Since Honda and Toyota are starting to cut quality as well, and domestics are improving, it will take some time before they gain their reputation back. For the moment, it is better to buy Honda/Toyota new while buying Ford/GM used. The same can't be said about Mitsubishi/Suzuki/Chrysler, etc.

I miss my 97 Honda Civic that i bought new. I traded her in when i bought my Tacoma back in 2002. That Civic would have 180K if i still had her.

Well they are simple and solid cars, so they seem to hold their value very well, as pointed out. Used Hondas are not very good deals.

I got a new 1995 Civic CX, now 150K km
It is only a I4 1.5L engine, but still rock solid. Zero consumption, zero problems. The longest trip was Ottawa to Chicago, over 1000 km I think.

Anyway besides minor issues like one speaker not working and such, I never had any issues period. I changed a couple of mufflers, had some coolant leaks due to rust I guess. The usual.

2001 CRV is less around 50K, still small 2L I4
Again solid, although some annoying issues like broken door lock, rusting rear hatch handle, etc. However, this one sees only rough winter service. Also have issues with breaks, master cylinder under warranty, rusted calipers, etc. Again winters here are rough.

In general, Honda makes simple cars with less features, hence less stuff can break down. However, they make solid engines, decent but cheap body. All in all very trouble free vehicles.

Their fuel economy used to be great, but these days they are not as good as in the past. Perhaps due to safety standards, plus bigger engines, etc.

My Mom got a 1986 Accord at my prompting. Car never saw a shop outside brakes and muffler after 10 years. Traded sight-unseen (true) on the Passat (same deal mechanically at 12 years). Great car and stuff, but rusted for some owners. We only took it to 120k or so. I ended up with one or two similar examples, inc a 5-sp model. They were just "better" than other cars, inc Euros of that vintage. (I'll exclude the Audi 4000/CGT because the price was the same $14k, awesome car)

Next Honda was the 1998 CRV for the wife. Bought it in 2005 for $8k w/85k on the clock. Now it has 135k with nothing more than an OXY sensor. I attend to the undercarrige with old random cans of spray paint, the guys at the dealer must think I'm a frutti-rainbow-lover. Everything works at 10 years old. I could probally get $6k for it. If it needs a trans, I'll actually try a refit to manual.

Skip ahead to 2006. I got my Japanese RSX, put 40k on it and traded it for $4k under what I paid...the $.10c/mile rule in-place. It was $2k more than I owed, so I traded on the '07 Accord with a huge discount. I have 25k on it now and only owe $16k on an EX-Leather 4-banger model. The car gets up and moves. Handles great and the inside is just as nice as my Audis, with more side knee room. I could probally sell it for what I owe or more, but I like it a lot. Now with carbon fibre hood for 3-seasons.

Looking at a new TSX or Mom, hopefully. If I was buying something, I'd probally get a new CRV. Price no object, a new RDX, I had one as a loaner, sweet.

I'm driving an 89 Civic which I bought new. It has about 130K on it now, and it has been very reliable. I think the O2 sensor is the only thing I can remember replacing that was not a normal wear and tear item, like brakes and exhaust systems. It's got some body damage so I couldn't sell it for much, but I can't bring myself to get rid of it since it just keeps running without issues. It uses a little oil, but it's not a big deal. I think there are a lot of folks like me that hold onto these things because they are so reliable, which means there are relatively few of them in the used car pool, which of course, keeps their prices up.

I picked my '94 Prelude up almost two years ago. I thought I paid a premium price then (but it was what I was looking for). Now the prices are crazy for 90's Hondas. 153k and still in great condition. This one should make 220k easily.

My '89 CRX has 263,ooo miles. Got it for $875 last October, before prices got stupid.

Have put in about $500 for maintenance items, and $500 for body repair and paint.

40mpg+ on every tankful in the summer. Interior is very clean. Always starts, nothing has fallen off. Has more than paid for itself in gas savings over the 10mpg truck I was driving and almost paid for the maintenance and repairs.

I'm pleased.

Last edited:
I had an '83 Civic with the powerhouse 1.3 liter engine when I was in college. I purchased it at around 36k and sold it to a friend at 125k when I finished school. He replaced the clutch at 130k and drove it until 175k when it had a major wiring meltdown started by the key switch which ran the starter until it overheated and locked. He figured it wasn't worth the effort to replace the melted wire harness and took it to the junkyard.

I continued to see the car intermittently for about the next 5 years being driven by the owners of the junkyard. I'd love to know how many miles were on it when they finally junked it.

1991 Prelude with B21A1. 209k miles. Rear quarters are starting to rust (I don't wash it very often) and it burns oil, but that seems common with the FRM lined B21s. Still gets 26-28 mpg short-hop commuting, which is the same as my wifes 2005 Accord.

I just picked up a 92 accord with 246,xxx miles. a little beat up but with stuff that can be fixed easily.Btw, how many gallons to the tank on this one? I got around 367 miles ,mostly hwy. automatic

Have a '99 (bought new) Accord 4cyl/auto with less than 50,000 miles. Never a single problem. Mostly short distance driving. It is well maintained with frequent oil changes due to the short driving distances, especially in cold temps. It gets 43mpg on the highway (summer). I plan on keeping this car until the end of my days if possible. Still has original brakes all around with plenty of pad left... that is good considering the amount of city driving it gets.

Driving this car through the Rockies for a ski trip woke me up to what a nice handling car the Accord really is when challenged, otherwise its a bit of a bore on straight prairie highways.

Just love this car and I could easily get 10k for it any day of the week if I wanted.

128K on my 92 Legend. Still runs like a top and I feel that this car has a lot of miles left in it. Bought it with 93K in 04' for $2800. I really like this car and plan on driving it into the ground. (Which may take awhile. Check back with me in 5 years)

Problem is I don't drive much, and it takes me awhile to rack up miles. The older it gets, the harder it is to get parts. Being a 92, some parts for it are already no longer available. Argh. This thing has at least another 5 years in it, we'll see what happens. It definitely doesn't drive like the average 17 yr old car, that's for sure.

Last edited:
Our 99 Civic EX coupe has 80,000 miles on it. Its been a great car, except the rear main seal went out at about 34,000 miles - thank god for the warranty!

Yes, it's 43 mpg on the imperial measurement.

My Toyota Echo hatchback gets close to 60mpg on the highway and it doesn't seem to matter what speed it is driven, even cruising at 130km/h gives the same result.

On the other hand, my 650cc motorcycle only gets 47mpg, could have something to do with the way the throttle is managed I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back