how long to replace heater core?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Garak
15 minutes in my old F-150.

That's about what it is in a Pontiac Fiero. Its under one of the dash speakers; remove the grille, remove the speaker, and there it is, clear as a bell.

I changed the core in our Taurus last year and the manual says you have to remove the dash and steering column. There is a video floating around with a simple trick to make it about a 2 hour job.I followed the advise and it worked great. Make sure you check around for another way to do it on your subie.

Originally Posted By: css9450
That's about what it is in a Pontiac Fiero. Its under one of the dash speakers; remove the grille, remove the speaker, and there it is, clear as a bell.

When mine was going south on the F-150, I asked my dad for a hand, since the last heater core was my LTD fiasco. He told me no, open the hood and take a look, you won't need any help. Sure enough. Big heater core box with lots of room around it - easy, easy job.

Originally Posted By: bradepb
I changed the core in our Taurus last year and the manual says you have to remove the dash and steering column. There is a video floating around with a simple trick to make it about a 2 hour job.I followed the advise and it worked great. Make sure you check around for another way to do it on your subie.

That's a good point. It isn't always necessary or even advantageous to do a job like this "by the book".

I replaced the heater core in my '94 Corsica several years ago. The book (GM service manual) said to remove the entire center console and remove several components from the dash. I found that by standing on my head and practicing some contortionist moves, I was able to unbolt the cover and pry it up just far enough to replace the heater core without removing ANY of the aforementioned components. It was still a difficult job. But it turned what would have been an all day job into maybe a 2-hour job.

Originally Posted By: Chris B.
How hard is it on a 1997 GMC Sierra/Chevy Silverado? I own one but all seems well so far....one day I may have to change it out.
Theres 2 styles. wether you have an access door or not.

If your truck has a cabin air filter you do not have an acess door and the heater is a 8hr job. If you have the acess door and no cabin air filter the heater is an hr.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: Chris B.
How hard is it on a 1997 GMC Sierra/Chevy Silverado? I own one but all seems well so far....one day I may have to change it out.
Theres 2 styles. wether you have an access door or not.

If your truck has a cabin air filter you do not have an acess door and the heater is a 8hr job. If you have the acess door and no cabin air filter the heater is an hr.

Hmmmm, I'm not sure if the truck has a cabin filter or not. Any idea where it would be located or the access door location? Thanks for the info!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back