How Long On Oil Change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't been here in quite awhile but have a question for those in the know. I have a 2013 Tundra that is approaching one year on the last change. The mileage since that change is only about 6k miles. I'm considering waiting until cooler weather, maybe October, before changing. I always take it to the dealer since the Tundra has a heavy(for me) skid plate that has to come off to get to the drain plug and filter plus I'm too old(77) to try to handle that skid plate.

I know the low mileage may be a consideration in the condition of the oil. I sent a sample for testing at the last change and it was acceptable, no problems. I doubt that 15 month interval will add more average miles per month than the first 12 months. What are the opinions on going that long before changing oil?

Originally Posted by csandste
Depending on the oil, I see no great problem with putting off the change for a couple of months.

Agreed; however a yearly change will insure things stay nice under the valve covers. It's 0w-20 right? So synthetic.
thumbsup2.gif

Time doesn't matter much. Go by mileage or engine hours,use the regular or severe OCI depending on your driving habits and environment if you don't have a maintenance minder. I would go 2 years with synthetic with no worries. Use the warranty parameters if you still have warranty.

I would (and do) just stick with annual changes if I don't hit the mileage.

My trucks last oil change had 4,500 miles on it, but had been 1 year since, so I changed it.
I am driving it even less now (just over 1000 miles in 6 months), but will still change it at one year.
For me it is because I do a lot of short tripping in it, and have had issues in the past with oil getting milky, even with an occasional 50+ mile highway drive.

But if your UOA from previous is similar to current conditions, then another few months will not be a problem.

Originally Posted by Alamogunr
Haven't been here in quite awhile but have a question for those in the know. I have a 2013 Tundra that is approaching one year on the last change. The mileage since that change is only about 6k miles. I'm considering waiting until cooler weather, maybe October, before changing. I always take it to the dealer since the Tundra has a heavy(for me) skid plate that has to come off to get to the drain plug and filter plus I'm too old(77) to try to handle that skid plate.

I know the low mileage may be a consideration in the condition of the oil. I sent a sample for testing at the last change and it was acceptable, no problems. I doubt that 15 month interval will add more average miles per month than the first 12 months. What are the opinions on going that long before changing oil?

Do you take it to Robinson Toyota in Jackson ?

I agree that technically going a few months past a year is not going to hurt anything, but if you still are under warranty consideration, there may be language in your maintenance guide to not exceed a year on the oil change regardless of mileage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back