How is used oil used?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Used oil burners should be banned by the EPA, burning it that way releases cancer causing toxins in the air we breathe, almost as bad as dumping it. Especially if its high halogen content over 1000 ppm its burning hazardous waste which no one tests for in used oil heaters.

Commercial burners such as asphalt plants test used oil for lead, arsenic and halogens, they also have air permits and better tech to completely burn the used oil not release into our air we breathe.

Putting used oil in your tank is foolish and will cause major damage to your injection pump and injectors not to mention wear your cylinder walls out with the grit.

Used oil is classified as hazardous waste in some areas for a reason, its not like crude just out of the ground the combustion process and engine wear in it create a nasty product.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oilguy55
Used oil burners should be banned by the EPA, burning it that way releases cancer causing toxins in the air we breathe, almost as bad as dumping it. Especially if its high halogen content over 1000 ppm its burning hazardous waste which no one tests for in used oil heaters.

Commercial burners such as asphalt plants test used oil for lead, arsenic and halogens, they also have air permits and better tech to completely burn the used oil not release into our air we breathe.

Putting used oil in your tank is foolish and will cause major damage to your injection pump and injectors not to mention wear your cylinder walls out with the grit.

Used oil is classified as hazardous waste in some areas for a reason, its not like crude just out of the ground the combustion process and engine wear in it create a nasty product.

While you do bring up a few valid points, you still seem to fail to understand that crude oil straight out of the ground is not some pure ready-to-use substance. If it were, refineries wouldn't exist. As others tried to explain to you yesterday on the thread you created to bash NextGen and the oil re-refining process, crude oil straight out of the ground has lots of sulfur, dirt, water, and plenty of other impurities in it, often times the same heavy metals that as you mention are present in used oil.

Originally Posted By: AP9

While you do bring up a few valid points, you still seem to fail to understand that crude oil straight out of the ground is not some pure ready-to-use substance. If it were, refineries wouldn't exist. As others tried to explain to you yesterday on the thread you created to bash NextGen and the oil re-refining process, crude oil straight out of the ground has lots of sulfur, dirt, water, and plenty of other impurities in it, often times the same heavy metals that as you mention are present in used oil.

Thats constantly mentioned on this site how used oil is the same as crude, nothing is further from the truth and its misleading and ignorant.

Crude oil does not have large amounts of arsenic (rat poison) lead or many other deadly toxins, antifreeze which is deadly as well along with halogens etc. The combustion process creates used hydrocarbons in the oil also toxic. Used oil is proven to cause cancer raw crude is not classified the same way a hazardous substance.
http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/toxfaqs/tfacts102.pdf

Last edited:

I think I'm going to go out and light up one of my vintage smudge pots w/ used oil tonight just to make you sleep better.

A small proportion of the stream of drain oil is re-refined, with a vanishingly small percentage of this re-refined basestock showing up in the dying Valvoline Nextgen products.
Most is burned either for space heating or in cement kilns.
Some apparently gets used mixed with bunker oil for ships, which can also burn a percentage of crude in their engines, FWIR. Fractional reductions in the quanity of crude loaded on tankers are apparently accepted practice.
Some gets burned by owners of old fully mechanical diesels at a proportion of 5-10% mixed with diesel.
I suspect that a lot ends up in landfills.
Good to see drain oil reused in some way.
A terrible waste not to do so.

Originally Posted By: BituminousCoal

I think I'm going to go out and light up one of my vintage smudge pots w/ used oil tonight just to make you sleep better.

smoke a few ciggs while you are at it and breathe deeply by your smudge pot I will sleep like a baby.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
A small proportion of the stream of drain oil is re-refined, with a vanishingly small percentage of this re-refined basestock showing up in the dying Valvoline Nextgen products.
Some apparently gets used mixed with bunker oil for ships, which can also burn a percentage of crude in their engines, FWIR. Fractional reductions in the quanity of crude loaded on tankers are apparently accepted practice.
Some gets burned by owners of old fully mechanical diesels at a proportion of 5-10% mixed with diesel.

You would be suprised how much recycled oil gets placed in new oil, there are no regulations against it you do not need to disclose on oil it has re refined oil.

The biggest issue ow with oil quality is with bulk oil which has no labeling or testing, many times bulk oil as used in quick lubes is poor quality.

I would be surprised to learn that very much re-refined oil gets used as basestock without any disclosure.
I've speculated as much here in the past, though.
Do you have any numbers or supporting information?

The dealership I work for heats the shop with "kleen Burn" waste oil furnaces. I was impressed with how clean they really do burn, I was expecting dark smoke like an old beater burning oil. The exhaust is virtually colorless and very little odor. It saves the owners a ton of money verses paying for gas for heat, we change enough oil that we almost never run out.
It's a nice way to recycle an otherwise "waste" product.

Originally Posted By: accent2012
Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
Here is a good example of smudge pots

http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2013/01/trying_to_save_the_citrus.php

Which is why I stay away from California oranges. most farmers they still do this. Last thing I want in my OJ is carcinogens.

Anyway, Isn't most of the used oil sold as bunker fuel for the large commercial super tankers?
Those aren't really smudge pots. They are return-stack orchard heaters. The real, old, smudge pots put out an intentional blanket of smoke. In most cases the orchard heaters are neither the best nor the most economical modern method for frost protection. And, the emissions are regulated.
Orchard Heater Emissions

I posted above about the use of used motor oil in ships' bunker fuel. Not just supertankers, but all ships need fuel of the correct specific gravity. The diesel engines' heavy fuel oil is always centrifuged, and the specific gravity at the centrifuge temperature of 210°F needs to be less than 1.0 for water separation. (It can be greater than 1.0 at the standard temperature of 60°F.) The waste oil and anything else that is both light, flamable, and relatively non-toxic is used as this cutter stock to get the viscosity and specific gravity into the limits. The heavy fuel for the diesels is then heated to about 250°F for injection into the combustion chambers. Too much waste oil in the fuel makes for poor combustion, and high consumption due to its lower BTU content.

I would be surprised to learn that very much re-refined oil gets used as basestock without any disclosure.
I've speculated as much here in the past, though.
Do you have any numbers or supporting information?

http://uscodebeta.house.gov/view.xhtml?req=granuleid:USC-prelim-title42-section6363&num=0&edition=prelim

These are the labeling requirements if re refined oil meets specs it does not need to be labeled re refined oil. A gray area as re refined oil barely meets group 2 specs high aromatics vs virgin oil

You would be suprised how much recycled oil gets placed in new oil, there are no regulations against it you do not need to disclose on oil it has re refined oil.

The biggest issue ow with oil quality is with bulk oil which has no labeling or testing, many times bulk oil as used in quick lubes is poor quality.

Oh do tell. Which quick lubes are using this poor quality oil. I'd like to know. I'd be very surprised if you do.

The local recycling place charged 5 cents per gallon last i knew only for them to use it as heat.

The auto parts places take it for free. Its a 5 gallon limit per household so i can usually get it all dumped by stopping at 2 stores. lol

We are having companies come around and ask if they can pay us to haul the waste oil off now. I asked one of them what they are doing with it. He said it is going to a refiner in the Houston area then it hits a ship bound overseas.

A used oil company now purchases all of our used oil for about a dollar a gallon.
You guys shouldn't be giving it away as five years ago we were paying 50 cents a gallon to have it hauled away.

I haven't asked what the new demand is and how we went from me paying them to them paying me, but I know in the past it was used in asphalt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back