how inexpensive can you build a computer (PC) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
need a computer for my old man and already have a monitor I think. Anybody build their own pc lately, how much could I expect to put one together myself? I get a corporate discount from dell and even their least expensive system is $599 before tax.
I'm looking for basic, barebones, stuff. All it'll ever do probably is play a couple cd's or dvd's and simple internet surfing.

What are some good places to buy from? How about local stores?

Here's what I'm thinking I need, feel free to fill in as needed:

Tower : not sure, whatever will hold the following

Power supply: what size at what cost? Is 300W sufficient?

Processor : 2ghz and above, preferably intel but don't care

Memory: 512Mb to start, expandable to at least 1 Gb, also considering how video and sound is handled. Basic sdram is fine, if that's the least expensive type these days. Don't "need" DDR2 or whatever it is up to these days, just cost effective ram.

Motherboard: fair amount of usb ports, at least 4 or 6, integrated 10/100 ethernet, don't need or want gigabit unless it's cheaper, probably integrated video and audio.

video: integrated is fine, not sure if a PCIexpress is a good way to go. AGP would be fine if it costs less to build and source a agp video card, cost would be deciding factor.

sound: just need to support 2 speakers.

hard drive: a single 40-60 Gb would be fine. Don't need serial, sata, or raid. Cost here is deciding factor.

Media : Would want one dvd-rom drive minimum, space in the tower to hold 2 drives. Would probably get a single dvd-rom/cd-rw drive to start. Don't need 3.5" floppy but would want to be able to install one, unless I go the external usb 3.5" floppy. cost would be deciding factor.

would want windows xp home edition as OS, sorry linux people.

NewEgg.com is your friend.

I suggest an Intel motherboard with onboard video if you don't play games.

1GB (2 x 512MB DIMM) of the fastest RAM that M-B supports.

CPU? Your choice. CoreDuo or higher will make for a pleasant computing experience for years to come.

80GB SATA2 hard drive, cheap, and works great.

DVD-RW drives are about $35 each at NewEgg. The Lite-ON ones come with a a version of PowerDVD and Nero Express for free.

They sell XP Home with a free upgrade coupon to Vista.

As for case, 300w minimum.

Good luck!

You can get one at bestbuy if you watch their ads around 300$ + tax.
The cheapest you can build would be very close to that.. then add in windows and no warrenty and its probably better to buy one not build one if cheapness i your goal.
That being said I build my own as I am performance oriented.
I bought the last 2 I setup for my grandma and step-mom.

I bought a used case, shipped to my door, for $30 with an XP license sticker on the back. Beats "new". There's always Linux.
smile.gif

Got guts at newegg... they have ok CPU/mobo combos starting at $89 or so. Couple hundred gig hard drives $50 ish. Jumbo 480 watt PS-es $12. Insanely fun hardware buying website.

Try a Dell E520 or a Dell E521 under Dell Small Business.
$400 to $425 Plus tax and Free Delivery. No Monitor

Dell C521 $469 with 17" analog LCD Plus tax & Free shipping.

I used to enjoy building them myself but the Dell delivered price makes it to easy to purchase one.

Personally I like tigerdirect for mail-order. But a second-hand or refirbed eBay PC will more than suit your dad's needs if it's basic internet/email use. You can pickup a ~2-4yr/old PC for $100+. Just got my Mom & Dad a dell optiplex GX150 shipped to the door from eBay for $100. The thing is awesome.

Joel

Another place to check is your local Walmart.

I saw an HP with a very fast AMD processor, large hard drive and 2GB of ram... $538.

I know that might be more than you're looking for, but that's just the example I saw... they had others with Intel processors and less memory.

No hassle for you if something goes wrong, anyway.

FWIW.

Really no point in building your own anymore. New-Egg is a great place to buy compnents though. May not always be the chepest. But they are great to deal with.

Ive found that AMD based systems have longer lifecycles than equivalent intel stuff.

Ive also found that build it yourself systems last longer than the stuff you buy from dell, etc. I dont know why, but after owning a number of each, Ill use my build it myself 750 MHz athlon system daily, over my early P4 dell. Again, I dont know why.

JMH

For a basic system, there really is no need to build your own, you won't come out ahead. My parents asked me to build them one, and to get them a price. Just about the same as a put together generic one. My machine though, would have been much more. I updated it when the MB went for $600 with what was top of the line stuff.

I always build my own since most of the time the part warranties are longer. And I know every bit of Hardware in the computer right down to the brand. I bought a Dell about a year ago and built a computer for my self a year earlier I ended up just using the one I built and selling my dell. I guess Pride falls into it their somewere as well.

I used to build my own. Just one or two generations behind saves tons. You're not paying for the R&D anymore. Now the evolutions are not that important ..unless you're some hard core gamer (I can't figure out how a game junkie can manage to stay on top of it- it's got to be a $3,000-$4,000 a year habit).

No matter what you get, Uncle Bill will see that it's choked just in time for you to buy another one.

I built my current computer in the spring of '05 entirely from NewEgg. It's not a heavy-duty gaming system, but I did spend a little more for the video card since I like to play Half-Life 2 from time to time. I think I came in somewhere near $400 (Athlon 64 3000, 1GB SDRA, ASUS MB, GeForce 5700LE, 80GB HD, DVDRW, etc.).

The funny thing (or perhaps not so) is that the most expensive part of the experience was the Windows XP license.

watch the www.resellerratings.com site. Every week there are specials, including some super deals from Dell. I just ordered 2 that way, complete with 19 in flatscreens. They are only valid for a couple of days, but every week there is something by Wednesday or so. This week is top-end, so next week will probably be low end.

I suggest an AMD Motherboard with I*tel processor. From what I've heard there is a new AMD MB (or chipset) out there that supports I*tel CPU's (don't know which one, but, I assume must be one of the latest)and it's a performer. I think there is only one company producing this MB. Can't recall the name. This is only what I've read and can't vouche for the accuracy.

To get back to your original question "how inexpensive can you build a computer (PC)". I know I can't compete with a major (or for that matter, even minor) computer company as far as price for the components (because they buy a gazillion of them at a time). But, I can build a system exactly as I want it. If you want a basic computer that you can read email, surf the web, etc... I think there are some pretty good buys out there and I don't know if a person can build a system cheaper. There is a certain amount of pride (that has no dollar value) building your own computer. After I got the hang of it (probably 10-15 years ago) I am quite adept at putting these systems together and doing my own maintenance (and friends). This will save big bucks in the long run. I don't know if you will save any money now, but, in the long run I think you will be far better off to build your own computer.

COOLER MASTER CAC-T05-UW CENTURION 5 (SILVER/BLACK) MID TOWER NO POWER SUPPLY 5x5.25" 1x3.5" 4x3.5"(hidden) W/ FRONT I/O CONNECTOR, 80mm CASE FAN x 1 & 120mm CASE FAN x 1NO EXTRA FAN
MWAVE 400W UL P/S
POWER SUPPLY INSTALLATION

$61.00 $61.00

# LITE ON 16X SHM-165H6S BLACK OEM LIGHTSCRIBE DUAL DVD REWRITABLE DRIVE w/SW (White box)

EXTRA SOUND AUDIO CABLE

$35.90 $35.90

MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP HOME W/SP2 (OEM/DSP)Download Upgrade Coupon for Vista Upgrade!
$81.50 $81.50

SEAGATE BARRACUDA 80GB ST3802110A UATA-100 7200RPM 8.9MS 2MB (Bare drive)NO EXT.ENCLOSURE
# NO DATA CABLE

$43.90 $43.90

ECS K8M800-M2 (2.0) BUNDLE W/ RETAILED &AMD SEMPRON 3000+ - PALERMO
KINGSTON 512MB DDR333
ASSEMBLE/TEST BUNDLE

$144

Total with ground shipping in USA=$403

This is a basice AMD754 board/AMD Sempron CPU. It runs real cool with basic stock heatsinker will do fine. Very good value with 512MB ram.

The CoolerMaster case gives good cooling and air flow. You'll see an ugraded improvement from companies like HP, Dell and so on. The Mwave power supply is better built than most would assume. Quite power supply and more juice than needed.

The ECS motherboard with onboard video is very good for internet usage. The only upgrade(luxury) would be a video card such as the 7600GS or 7600GT which is about max upgrade in $ extra for DVD movie usage(awesome video). That would run you another $125-$165...awesome upgrade if interested. The ECS board is a basic easy board to work with and is very stable.

Would I pick up a cheap AMD Emachine on sale for $300 with discount or build the one above. There is no question, Emachine and those cheap $300 comps aren't worth it. Chances are, there is a higher % of those built that are lemons. Not worth it in my book!

Mwave will install the CPU to the motherboard prior to shipment and test if it's in working order($9). This helps those that haven't install the CPU to motherboard which Mwave will do for a small fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back