How important is gasket size?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So after the Fl1a discussion with Big O Dave, I was wondering how important gasket numbers were. For example. My bike take a Honda filter. There are several larger filters that have a .2” OD difference. IF the mounting plate is big enough to take another .75”, is there any reason to stay with the small gasket and limit selection? So say I use a 2.4 ID 2.7 OD, but the back plate is almost 4” OD, does a 2.6 ID and 2.9 OD really not work?

I am wondering because the car I am looking at getting back in the states is a Lexus with the same thread pitch as the FL1A and the other monsters. The gasket size is a little bigger on the FL1A than on the 51348 for the Lexus. I think the difference is .2-.3 on ID and OD.

I am running a FL1A on a 3.0L Aerostar, which calls for a FL400. The FL1A has a slightly bigger gasket, but the mounting flange is big enough to handle it. In fact, best I could measure, the mounting flange on the Aerostar is the same as on my F150, which does take a FL1A. I think you are OK so long as the gasket edge is not right at the very edge of the flange.

I asked on a Lexus board to see what they were doing, but I want to hear other opinions. For example, would having a bigger filter cause more strain on the filter mount?

quote:

Originally posted by Shaman:
I asked on a Lexus board to see what they were doing, but I want to hear other opinions. For example, would having a bigger filter cause more strain on the filter mount?

Yes, but not enough to matter. The load is taken though the gasket surface and the threaded spud that sticks out from the engine.

Think of the spud as a very large hollow bolt. The wieght of a filter on a bolt that size is approximately nothing.

If the inside diameter of the gasket is 2.25 inches (a guess) and you have 60 psi oil pressure, then there is 238 lbs trying to pull the filter off the block, that remains the same no matter what size the filter can is.

Compared to that, 1 or 2 lb of filter weight doesn't amount to diddly.

[ August 30, 2005, 02:00 AM: Message edited by: XS650 ]

Filter No 51516 51348 fl1a

ID 2.43 2.43 2.46
OD 2.734 2.734 2.842
Thickness 0.226 0.226 0.2
Length 4.828 3.4 5.178
Width 2.921 2.921 3.66
BPVS 8 to 11 8 to 11 8 to 11

These are the numbers that I am looking at

The gasket is only .03 ID and .108 OD. I am waiting for some info on the room that is there. Haven't heard anything thus far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back