How fix this exhaust pipe leak without welding?

No way I can just replace the gasket as all the hardware and flanges are pretty much done. Thinking of cutting that part out an inch to each side, getting a 2 inch long pipe of the same diameter and securing with 2 exhaust band clamps. Seem logical?

IMG_8477.JPG

I tried using one of those about 7-8 year ago. Didn't work for me. I'd cut off the bolts get new bolts and then two gaskets and some muffler putty. What vehicle is this? Maybe it's got a donut type gasket instead.

The problem that needs to be addressed before any DIY fix-it is the rust. Nothing is going to seal properly until you have sanded down to clean metal. And if there are pits they are likely never going to seal. Also the complete integrity of the remaining pips around the blown out area. It may take a longer pipe repair then what those clamps will cover? e The other thing when considering all these DIY fixes is how far down from the exhaust manifold it is. Heat will have a direct effect on any exhaust sealing sealing product. As exhaust ravel from the exhaust manifold the temperature are very high with in the first couple feet and then will lower rather quickly farther down most exhaust systems.
I think someone posted the time in labor and all the money spent a muffler shop is likely to do it better and for about the same cost.

The problem that needs to be addressed before any DIY fix-it is the rust. Nothing is going to seal properly until you have sanded down to clean metal. And if there are pits they are likely never going to seal. Also the complete integrity of the remaining pips around the blown out area. It may take a longer pipe repair then what those clamps will cover? e The other thing when considering all these DIY fixes is how far down from the exhaust manifold it is. Heat will have a direct effect on any exhaust sealing sealing product. As exhaust ravel from the exhaust manifold the temperature are very high with in the first couple feet and then will lower rather quickly farther down most exhaust systems.
I think someone posted the time in labor and all the money spent a muffler shop is likely to do it better and for about the same cost.
There isn't a product known to mankind that is going to provide a gas tight seal over rust. Prove me wrong?! AKA get your wallet out. I'm an AWS CWI. Billed @$200 per hr/4 hr min. = $800 minimum charge for me to walk on the job. Plus travel & expenses. $150 per 1 weld is very inexpensive; this is NOT a code weld, nor done by a properly certified (for the code and position) welder. Pay the price and shut up; or buy a welding machine and DIY. You're paying for a certain level of skill.

This doesn't rust because it is stainless; it will require 2 TWO welds to install it; MEASURING carefully, material cutting, prep, fit up and 2 TWO welds. $300 is a fair price. I would ask the same shop as does the repair to perform a (state required where I live) safety & emissions inspection. If they can't/won't, all that means is they have no confidence in their own work.

This doesn't rust because it is stainless; it will require 2 TWO welds to install it; MEASURING carefully, material cutting, prep, fit up and 2 TWO welds. $300 is a fair price. I would ask the same shop as does the repair to perform a (state required where I live) safety & emissions inspection. If they can't/won't, all that means is they have no confidence in their own work.
Thats probably the best fix. Its what i would do, or have done.

Back