How early is too early for UOA in new (used) car

Status
Not open for further replies.
My new (to me) car is a Porsche 944 turbo with about 135,000 miles on it. I know the recent history of the car well (the 2 most recent owners and it was maintained by my mechanic). It had an engine rebuild less than 10,000 miles ago and pretty much everything that dies by that age has been rebuilt or replaced in the last 3years. It has been run summers only on M1 15w50 with 3K OCI. In winter it has been stored in a garage with fresh M1 fill.

I expect the engine to be pretty clean and don't know if an Auto-RX cycle is really called for. I have a Blackstone kit that I had got for my last car which was destroyed by a flatbed truck just before finishing my second Auto-RX cleaning cycle. I planned a Terry Dyson analysis both for peace of mind and to establish a baseline for future analysis.

I have put less than 1500 miles on the car on the Mobil1 and Mahle filter added last fall before storage. It has consumed no measurable amount of oil in that time, and shows no issues other than a slight hesitation at cold startup.

Questions

When is too early to do a UOA? I am not interested in extreme OCIs, just the health of the car. I only expect to put about 6000 miles a year on it and dump new oil in before storing, so my OCI choice will probably be 3K or 6K.

Given the history above, anyone think this car needs an ARX cycle? I would be surprised if the engine is dirty, but its use since the rebuild has involve a lot of commuting trips. I do have a small stash of Esso XD-3 15w40 HDEO which would be a good Dino rinse oil if I did ARX it, but I have great confidence in how the car was maintained and really would prefer to keep running synthetic oil if possible. If I thought it would help I would use my remaining bottle and a half of ARX in it. Otherwise I will keep it for my projected purchase of a winter beater.

I plan on driving this car April to October and store it in winter so I don't think 15x50 is dangerously thick. But i was thinking about moving to Mobil1 0w40 or 5w40 anyhow. This is my third 944. They tend to like thicker oils, but maybe 15w50 is too much for spring and autumn in Canada?

Your thoughts appreciated.

I would just do it at the 3000 mile OCI. Some studies indicate that the oil seating process masks some wear metals until between 2000 and 3000 miles. Auto-Rx would appear to be unwarranted in anything except a maintenance dose (if you chose to use it).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back