How DO you root an S3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
As to custom software, not anything illegal desired.

I have my S3, gifted. On Virgin Mobile. Making a payment plan with T-Mobile for my outstanding balance today, Friday the 13th
eek.gif

I like the S3, but is there any way to preview and test out custom ROMs The phone has been out more than a year, I know there are likely great abundances for it and Jelly bean tweaks that have less of the apps I will never touch.

I also never rooted a phone, but from my old "burn a Playstation back-up!" days, I am familiar with ISOs and burning DVDs. havent done either in at least 5 years; since early 2011 on DVDs.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I thought they were rooted from the factory?

I just had to look.. S3 is like an iPhone in that the charging cable is also the data transfer to/from computer and the computer recognizes the device like it does my MP3 player, yes?

Originally Posted By: TechnoLoGs
Originally Posted By: Miller88
I thought they were rooted from the factory?

I just had to look.. S3 is like an iPhone in that the charging cable is also the data transfer to/from computer and the computer recognizes the device like it does my MP3 player, yes?

just read.. the google will have more info than you ever need.
they have step by step instructions.
I'd recommend against rooting. it can leave you with a brick.
kinda like flashing the bios on a computer motherboard.

GO to a forum dedicated to the device, like a subsection on XDA or Android Forums.

By now a S3 root should be pretty simple.

Or just plain use it so you don't end up bricking the device and being SOL.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
You have a nice working phone. Why not just enjoy it?

This is a possibility as well!

I have had the S3 for well over a year now, it's all stock and great - I love it! Best phone I have ever had. The customization that you can do to Android out of the box is amazing.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I have had the S3 for well over a year now, it's all stock and great - I love it! Best phone I have ever had. The customization that you can do to Android out of the box is amazing.

I want to make Navigation not turn off and make me have to re-enter my destination if an hour or even 15 minutes goes by and I dont touch the screen. My biggest peeve.

So far, the ONLY app I miss, slightly, from iPhone is "Capture" for Youtube. Like, on a scale of 1 to 10, .5, or half of 1, do I miss it, it made things a little tiny easier for that one thing. Otherwise, I really dislike iOS6, its just.. too basic. Seriously - aside from that, Android S3 here on Virgin Mobile. Got it on sale, gifted some money. Brand new. All good....

Still gotta get a case, I'm using it naked but not a scratch on it. It is a *little* hard to hold sometimes, but I give the phone an 8 out of 10. I am sure an S4 is in my future, NEXT YEAR SOMETIME. Probably 9 out of 10 there, when VM gets it. Down the road... Or T-Mo...

If you want to root it, just go to XDA and there will be a stick for your particular model # right on the top of the page.

It is VERY easy. I've been running Cyanogenmod on mine pretty much constantly since I bought it.

youtube "how to root an S3" and then find the rom you want on XDA developers. It really is pretty easy these days.

Drop it in water and it'll be totally rooted. Just to clear that up, down here rooting is something you do with your girlfriend or wife, but not your sister.

Originally Posted By: TechnoLoGs
I want to make Navigation not turn off and make me have to re-enter my destination if an hour or even 15 minutes goes by and I dont touch the screen. My biggest peeve.

That's it? There must be a setting to mess with. My Note 2 does not turn off the screen when using navigation, even when it isn't plugged in.

Of if you can't make it work, download the app called Keep Screen On. I use it for Endomondo because I like to use that app as a dashboard when bike riding rather than just tracking the ride and this isn't a feature of Endomondo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back