How do you rank the big oil companies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll start.

1. Shell - Great motor oils such as Pennzoil, Pennzoil Platinum, and Rotella at good prices. Top-tier fuel

2. Chevron - Again great motor oils such as Havoline and Delo, however, marketing has been rather weak. Chevron does not seem to be a huge proponent of synthetic oils as their product line reflects. Top-tier fuel

3. BP - Some great motor oils, such as GC while other motor oils are nothing special.

4. Exxon/Mobil - Quality of Mobil1 is every bit as good as PP even though it may or may not be group III. Too much confusing marketing. Too much double speak. My experience with their fuels is negatvie.

Just curious as to what other BITOGers think of the big four.

1. Shell - Fair oil, Top-tier fuel, HS&E oriented, good pension, good medical benefits, great 401K, mediocre stock, nice gas stations, clean restrooms. Owned by the Dutch. Research done overseas (-). (I'm a retiree).
2. Chevron. Fair oil. Top-tier fuel.
3. Exxon - Good oil (best warranty and near top of brand name oil comparisons of these 4). Not top-tier fuel. I've seen a piston with heavy deposits on it that nearly always used their gasoline. Best stock. Most profitable. Go USA!
4. BP - lots of bad press with safety issues.

ANYTHING BUT ESSO/EXXON...the worst polluter, least accepting of the need to change, and yes...the most profitable ($40 BILLION last year)...D*AMN i hate them

OH YEAH...they do make a #@$%! of an oil though ...LOL
laugh.gif
tounge2.gif

XD-3
canada.gif

I like Gilitar's ranking to a T.

I do NOT like XOM's gas at all. I use Shell and it's much better, at least around here.

They all burn and propel the conveyance down the road.

Do like the Chevron with its included Techron.

Do not like the fact there are no Chevron stations here in the cultural backwater where a storm is descending upon us with expected near-blizzard conditions with one to two inces of snow per hour and frigid blasts of wind that may reach 45-50 mph causing white-out conditions.

Piling blankets upon the bed, expecting fragile infrastructure hereabouts to fail, leaving the shanty without electric power.

May not re-enter general society until the spring thaw.

Sniff.

I buy gasoline exclusively from Shell - have one of their rebate CC's.
Not a drop from anyplace else in 21,000 miles.

I guess I'd say shell, for the win.

Quote:

Quote:

ANYTHING BUT ESSO/EXXON...the worst polluter,

Can I see the stats on this? How is it measured?

Easily...merely go onto any search engine and punch in Esso/Exxon and have fun reading for days on this.

Remember Valdez?? Just one example where Exxon still hasnt paid for all the damage that their company has done.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Easily...merely go onto any search engine and punch in Esso/Exxon and have fun reading for days on this.

Remember Valdez?? Just one example where Exxon still hasnt paid for all the damage that their company has done.

Of course I remember the Exxon Valdez, prior to the Mobil merger. But I was looking for some statistical backing - something like the amount of gallons spilled/barrels processed, or VOC's released/tons crude processed.....to really compare the companies. Sure there are tons of hit pieces and groups that hate on the USA company - but I guess I was trying to take the emotion out of it. I'll for now just assume you really have no evidence to back your words.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Of course I remember the Exxon Valdez, prior to the Mobil merger. But I was looking for some statistical backing - something like the amount of gallons spilled/barrels processed, or VOC's released/tons crude processed.....to really compare the companies. Sure there are tons of hit pieces and groups that hate on the USA company - but I guess I was trying to take the emotion out of it. I'll for now just assume you really have no evidence to back your words.

I am not going to give you all the evidence here in a oil forum...take some of your own time and do your own research and then try to convince me otherwise. It took me two seconds to find this....quote" Esso's critics point out the company produces twice the CO2 pollution of a country such as Norway. Company data revealed a 2% increase in greenhouse gas production in 2004 to 135.6m tonnes. Supporters of Stop Esso argue that BP has a similar level of production as Esso with nearly 50% less greenhouse gas emissions. One environmental consultancy believed Esso underestimated its greenhouse gas production because it excluded petrol stations and tankers. It estimates Exxon's production at over 300m tonnes. [2]"

Want more??

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I am not going to give you all the evidence here in a oil forum...take some of your own time and do your own research and then try to convince me otherwise. It took me two seconds to find this....quote" Esso's critics point out the company produces twice the CO2 pollution of a country such as Norway. Company data revealed a 2% increase in greenhouse gas production in 2004 to 135.6m tonnes. Supporters of Stop Esso argue that BP has a similar level of production as Esso with nearly 50% less greenhouse gas emissions. One environmental consultancy believed Esso underestimated its greenhouse gas production because it excluded petrol stations and tankers. It estimates Exxon's production at over 300m tonnes. [2]"

Want more??

More...

Quote:

A proportion of Esso's greenhouse gas production arose because of the flaring of gas in Nigeria. When natural gas is brought out with oil, Esso in Nigeria burned the gas rather than processing it. Esso pledged to cease this practice by 2006.[3]

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Want more??

More...

Quote:

A proportion of Esso's greenhouse gas production arose because of the flaring of gas in Nigeria. When natural gas is brought out with oil, Esso in Nigeria burned the gas rather than processing it. Esso pledged to cease this practice by 2006.[3]

More...

From the Pembina Institue:

Unlike other major oil companies, Esso has consistently refused to accept the scientific consensus that climate change is made worse by burning fossil fuels and needs to be addressed. Instead of acting against climate change, Esso lobbies against the Kyoto Protocol's cuts to greenhouse gas emissions, doesn't invest in renewable energy and spreads misinformation about climate change's science.

There....three easy examples in less than 1 minuate....JUST DO A LITTLE SEARCHING
cheers.gif

Gee, where I grew up used to be covered by glaciers. And then, apparently there was global warming, caused by ??? dinosaur flatulence, sun spot activity, too many wooly mammoths, gigiantc volcanic explosions????

Think I heard somewhere that the ice caps on Mars are shrinking. I wonder if that is because of too many SUVs?

Quote:

Gee, where I grew up used to be covered by glaciers. And then, apparently there was global warming, caused by ??? dinosaur flatulence, sun spot activity, too many wooly mammoths, gigiantc volcanic explosions????

Think I heard somewhere that the ice caps on Mars are shrinking. I wonder if that is because of too many SUVs?

Yeah...the Mars Rover right???
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Not trying to be a butt, but none of that REALLY says EM is worse that all the others. I agree the old practice of torching NG is quite wasteful (but many companies did this with high sulfur gas) and it looks on the surface that BP may be better - but do your research on how sloppy BP is in the USA. I need better stats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back