How do you go about choosing brake pads?

What is the actual criteria you use for choosing brake pads for a daily driver minivan?

The pads on the car have lasted super long so I don't see any need for anything different. Should I just buy OEM at whatever they are charging?

OEM pads are $103 for the front.

O'reilley has options at $40, $60, $75, and $90. How do you go about comparing the $40 or $75 oreilly pads to the $103 OEM pads?

I've personally never bought OEM pads (just my choice - most are excellent pads). I haven't bought store-brand pads in a while but when I did, I moved to the "premium" grade they offer. Aftermarket pads (Raybestos, Wagner, etc) have different grades and you have to evaluate what you want from the pads.

In my period of working on my own cars, I've bought OEM, "the best" from Napa and Powerstop.

On my Tundra and Sequoia, I've used OEM, Powerstop Z36 and "the best" from Napa. OEM seems to be working the best.

I've got a set of the lowest grade (price) pads and rotors on the front of my Lexus RX350 right now. They are working great but I'm only about 5k miles into them. I rebuilt the calipers, cleaned the hub (always do) and flushed the brake fluid. I always bed-in the pads also.

I'm a big believer OEM parts but I'll try aftermarket here and there for some things. I say try OEM first.

I too go for Raybestos EHT first and if not available for the application also check Bosch Blue line, those two worked very well for me for non 'performance' applications e.g. regular driving with occasional hard braking.

I've used everything from 20$ brake pads and rotors, to $400+ set ups, but for a clunker or a grocery getter, i would choose the lower priced options, and never had an issue. But for the daily drivers or above i always use PowerStop Z line whole brake set up,. I do not track my vehicles so the powerstop set up might be a little over kill for my application, but they never warp, and i get really good life out of the pads, plus the initial bite is really nice and confidence inspiring.

I always replace brake pads with OEM. In my experience OEM pads have always lasted as long or longer than after market and with less brake dust than after market pads. My son went cheap with his last set on his Tundra and he ended up replacing them after a couple of months (though they performed well enough) with OEM pads simply because of the inordinate amount of unsightly brake dust on his wheels.

Based on comments here on Bitog and some other places I started using Akebono pads exclusively. Its my understanding they are actually the supplier for some OEM pads and but their price (on Rock Auto) is usually only half the price of OEM. After installing on several cars the only problem I've had is the that the one Ford product in the family has begun squeaking first thing in the morning. The GM replacements have been perfect. One of the AK's best features is their brake dust is virtually non existent.

Here is another vote for OEM. I made the mistake of thinking the top line of Autozone pads had to be good since they had a lifetime guarantee. After having to replace them at three times the rate of OEM, I learned the free replacements just weren't worth it.

It's just a daily driver minivan. Short trips, desert climate. I just want something that doesn't make a bunch of dust or squeak or anything.

Currently I'm annoyed that the brakes are super touchy for the first couple stops when it's raining. Almost to the point of accidentally locking the wheels. But I assume that's because the rotors are rusting or something, and I don't know if it's a function of the pads.

The pads on the car have lasted super long so I don't see any need for anything different. Should I just buy OEM at whatever they are charging?
That's not a bad idea if you can also get a good discount. Not sure how many car makers make their own brake pads and don't just buy them from major brake manufacturers. If you can find out who they get them from, they can be substantially cheaper for the same product. Aisin, Akebono, ATE, Bendix, Bosch, Brembo, Jurid, Pagid, Raybestos, Textar, Wagner, etc. Stay away from chain store brands that are coming from China at inflated prices.

I have always had good luck with Honda OEM for my Hondas....So that is what I would get and do the brake job myself....

I typically default to OEM, but if not available, I will stick to quality brands, read reviews from trusted forums, etc....but I tend to deal with oddball stuff.

It's just a daily driver minivan. Short trips, desert climate. I just want something that doesn't make a bunch of dust or squeak or anything.

Currently I'm annoyed that the brakes are super touchy for the first couple stops when it's raining. Almost to the point of accidentally locking the wheels. But I assume that's because the rotors are rusting or something, and I don't know if it's a function of the pads.
I hated the grabby nature of my BMW X1 pads, so I put Akebono ceramic on, and I can actually Modulate the stopping power. Almost no dust or squeak. I even seem to get less rust marks on rotor when car sits for a month or so. As a side note that tamed the excessive dynamic braking involved with cornering. It was fun on the track, but was wearing rear brakes and tires twice as fast. When I took off front half worn pads, they had a 1.5 inch circle of crystalized hole in center. I wasn't hitting brakes that hard on track since it's not a race, but their OEM was inferior to ceramic.

OEM sure fits nice... I have generally used better aftermarket. Akebono, Element 3, Centric. I used the Napa hybrid pads on my old Tundra years ago. Goot stopping and low dust. The Element 3 pads on there now are dustier.
I used a lotta O'Reilly pads over the years; I don't use 'em anymore. They do have a new Import-Something line that I hear is pretty good.

OEM sure fits nice...

If its a Honda or Acura, I put Akeebono pads on. Anything else, I buy the premium "Platinum" pads from Advance. I really like those. Quiet, good pedal feel, low dust. They are definitely worth the $45-$55 a set I have historically paid for them.

Back