How can my dealer offer 0w20 for $17.95??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Often this price doesn't include disposal costs, and that can be huge. So huge that it isn't anywhere near what disposing of old engine oil and filters cost.

Originally Posted By: 1maniac
Loss leader. That dirty cabin air filter found during your oil change will be $45.00.

Bingo. All the dealers seem to be able to sell an oil change at some wonderfully low price, even up here. Yet, even a five minute cabin air filter job or a 30 second air filter job is astronomically expensive.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Originally Posted By: Nate1979
To try and sell you a wallet flush.

+1

+2.
The last time my mom got a $17.95 oil change, she also left with nitrogen in her tires....from the dealership. I think the fee was something like $40 a tire. I was hot.

$40 PER tire? That's obscene. I would have been angered at $40 for the set.

Originally Posted By: Jiblet
$40 PER tire? That's obscene. I would have been angered at $40 for the set.

$40 a set would be acceptable here. The Infiniti/Nissan dealer wants over $100 here, because the shop manual procedure is to reset the TPMS (I know, a terribly grueling job), even though the TPMS reset isn't necessary. Of course, I rotate them myself.

Remember that our atmosphere is nitrogen (78%) and oxygen (21%) with only small concentrations of other trace gases.

OP that deal sounds phenomenal, but when taking all of your third gear chirping into account you might wanna go thicker for maximum high temperature protection.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Remember that our atmosphere is nitrogen (78%) and oxygen (21%) with only small concentrations of other trace gases.

That's why I wouldn't pay $0.01 extra for it. Costco does it for free and the Ford dealer I got my tires from did it free too.

Maybe if they put HELIUM in there it would be worth something as it may make the tires lighter. LOL.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
They buy it in bulk, so it's much cheaper than retail.

I've heard it said on here and other places that bulk oil prices are basically in the same ball park as Wal-Mart oil prices. Bulk oil is a convenience to the dealership and is not really as cheap as you think.

No doubt about it, a 0W20 oil change at $17.95 cost the dealership money. They use it to get you into the door (loss-leader) and try to up-sell you the more profitable services.

Originally Posted By: Garak

Bingo. All the dealers seem to be able to sell an oil change at some wonderfully low price, even up here. Yet, even a five minute cabin air filter job or a 30 second air filter job is astronomically expensive.

My local dealer told me they "don't even charge labor on filters."

And they don't... as a line item, anyway. $30 retail at the parts counter, $40 net on a service invoice.

On the other hand, they ate all my 6th quarts for 2 years, so I probably still came out ahead after paying $10 for 10 seconds of labor.

Oh, and if they are like many $ealerships, if they
"inspect" your vehicle and don't find anything that needs
repair, they will likely BREAK something INTENTIONALLY to make sure that it does need repair. Lots of shady places out there I'd say the majority of them are at the very least suspect, with plenty being down right crooked.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dirtroader
My local dealer told me they "don't even charge labor on filters."

And they don't... as a line item, anyway. $30 retail at the parts counter, $40 net on a service invoice.

Well, that's pretty fair of them, at least aside from the eating your sixth quart business.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: cheesepuffs
OP that deal sounds phenomenal, but when taking all of your third gear chirping into account you might wanna go thicker for maximum high temperature protection.

touche.

Can't believe people remember that, like 6 years later haha, and for the record, it was someone else that twisted my words and made it into something else
shocked.gif

A local tire chain near me offers $19.99 bulk oil changes. Between costs and man hours it's likely a loss leader or at cost but they likely sell lots of tires when people come in with 2/32" tread. Many oil changes turn into new sets of tires for them and it is profitable. Even if the customer doesn't buy tires from them on there first few oil changes you can bet those same folks become loyal and decide to buy tires from them during there oil changes. Back when I didn't change my oil (a long time ago) I would go there every 5k for oil changes and I always bought tires there when it was time.

Every other quick lube or gas station in town charges ~$32 for a regular oil change.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GMFan
It's likely a loss leader or at cost.

Places like this also drive the price up with extra shop fees and/or oil disposal fees that the $32.00 LOF outfits don't charge extra for.

Chrysler dealers are offering 4 changes for $65 ($16.25ea). They are good at any Chrysler dealer and since my Jeep has a warranty for 2.5 more years, they can find all the problems they want. Works for me as long as the warranty is in effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back