How bad do you think it is to get engine oil, atf, brake fluids on your skin?

Not saying it is the best thing to not wear gloves, but I never did and have worked on cars all my life. We used to use gasoline to get the grease off our hands. I am 74 and still going strong. But do what makes you feel comfortable.

While they are not good, the average home oil change isn’t going to give you hand cancer. It’s continuous exposure that’s of real concern. Wear nitrile gloves and wash well with soap when you’re done and you have nothing to worry about. Washing 5 times a a bit OCD and will cause dry, chapped skin.

This. One exposure to carcinogens isn’t a guarantee of cancer, but prolonged/routine exposure is what increases your chances of cancer. Your skin is porous and absorbs whatever is on it. It’s why fire fighters and investigators are not only supposed to wear respirators, but also cover all exposed skin to avoid soot etc. After a fire or investigation there are decon procedures to clean yourself and scrub all dirty tools/equipment. We are required to “shower within the hour” to get that stuff off of our skin.

I had this conversation the other day about one of my old friends. He worked as a mechanic in his fathers garage for about 20 years, then took over the operation for another 20 or so years. I've been down there helping out now and then, and seen how he worked. Blowing brake and clutch dust everywhere, was an everyday thing. Spraying various cleaners and de-greaser's .without and mask or respirator. I've also seen him paint cars ans various parts without a mask, just his shirt pulled up over his mouth. It wasn't because he was too cheap to buy any type of protection, he didn't realize how the human body would absorb the chemicals into his body and effect him. I saw him with my own eyes wash his hands in gas everyday after work. I asked him why?, he said it's the best thing he's found to clean his hands after work. Once he sold his shop and went to work in the states garages, he started coming down with all sorts of illnesses. At least 6 types of cancers. He had prostate cancer when he was 41, and at that time they just removed it to deal with it. Then kidney cancer, lung cancer,had a spot on his brain they used radiation on. Several cases of skin cancer, and it was liver cancer that finally killed him. He spent his last years getting around in one of those scooters. His color was bad , and he always looked like he didn't feel good.Henry was a super nice guy and I'm glad he lived long enough to see his granddaughter. My thought on the is just because you expose yourself to harmful chemicals today and feel fine, doesn't meant it wont effect you years later. Like smoking, it doesn't kill everyone you just don't know how your actions will come back to haunt you when you get older.,,,
I’m no doctor but blowing brake dust (then asbestos) was a sure way to set up problems down the road. As mentioned this guy probably didn’t know. Because of asbestos brake and clutch materials my shop techs were required to have an annual full blown physical that included a scored respiratory test. This test was graphed to track any decline etc. I’m thankful the organization did this to include strict adherence to brake/clutch material dust handling.

Nitrile gloves are cheap. I didn't used to wear gloves during oil changes, etc but started maybe 20 years ago. I feel much better after doing the work to have such easy cleanup and my hands don't smell like oil or fluids like they did even after thorough washing to get rid of the contamination on my skin.

As others said, motor oil on skin is pretty low on the wrenching risk totem pole. Inhalation of dust and chemicals is probably far riskier in the long term. Or accidentally setting yourself or car or garage on fire. Or getting crushed by an improperly lifted vehicle. Heck, you're probably more likely to die driving it than from anything you're exposed to.
Personally I wear gloves about half the time. Sometimes I like to get my hands dirty.

Anti-freeze is carcinogen for sure (EG)

According to the CDC:

EFFECTS OF CHRONIC OR REPEATED EXPOSURE: Ethylene glycol is not classifiable as a human carcinogen. Limited studies have not found ethylene glycol to be a carcinogen. It is not known whether chronic or repeated exposure to ethylene glycol increases the risk of reproductive toxicity or developmental toxicity.

New oil from the original container is almost always safe. Used oil is a mixture of stuff that should be avoided - presuming you are working with this stuff everyday. A DIY person has more risk crossing the street.

Oh, and let me add this too. When I cut used oil filters open, I still don't wear gloves!
I wonder when my hands will get cancer? :rolleyes::unsure:
My Dad smoked five cigars a day, never got cancer.

That doesn’t make cigar smoking risk free.

Used oil and other chemicals do, in fact, increase your risk of cancer.

Just like smoking does.

Nitrile gloves are cheap. They reduce your risk, just like quitting smoking reduces your risk.

Buy disposable nitrile gloves, and your hands will stay clean.
+1

It isn't good for your skin, and is a carcinogen. YMMV as far as if you get cancer from the exposure or not. Personally I wear gloves and have for quite a while just because it makes working on cars and engines so much easier. Phone rings? Take off the gloves and it won't get nasty. Want to eat lunch? Doesn't take 30 minutes of scrubbing to wash your hands. Need to get inside the car and move it or start it after doing greasy work? You won't get the interior filthy.

I also find my hands get less cut open if I slam them against something because the gloves act as a protective layer.

According to the CDC:

EFFECTS OF CHRONIC OR REPEATED EXPOSURE: Ethylene glycol is not classifiable as a human carcinogen. Limited studies have not found ethylene glycol to be a carcinogen. It is not known whether chronic or repeated exposure to ethylene glycol increases the risk of reproductive toxicity or developmental toxicity.
I was about to quote the same thing.

EG is not a carcinogen. There may be carcinogens in antifreeze, but it isn't the EG.

EG is a skin sensitizer and it is both acutely and chronically toxic if ingested, but there is no known link to cancer that I've ever heard of.

I worry more about coolant than anything else. My garage cat always comes by to inspect my work. It has to stay inside when I'm working with coolant. Negative results in this situation would be immediate vs long-term.
Very wise. Ethylene glycol tastes sweet and animals will drink or lick it. And it's highly toxic. Can cause death a day or two later.

And (for the benefit of the original poster) no you don't have to worry about getting a bit of coolant on your skin. Just don't drink any.

I was about to quote the same thing.

EG is not a carcinogen. There may be carcinogens in antifreeze, but it isn't the EG.

EG is a skin sensitizer and it is both acutely and chronically toxic if ingested, but there is no known link to cancer that I've ever heard of.

EG is also pretty biodegradable from what I've read. So much so that some municipalities allow you to dispose of used coolant into the sanitary sewer.

Back