How are you cleanly dosing fuel adds???

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
I went to fill up tonight and didnt do well. Added 1oz of startron to stabilize the ethanol fuel, made a mess all over the bottle and some dripped onto the car. Then added my 4oz of MMO, and that went down the bottle too.

It is the mess from pouring it that annoys me. It wets the side of the bottle no matter what. Gets on the hands and vapors in the car I'd imagine (though I dont smell them).

The flip-top cap of the old "free" FP60 bottles was more or less mess free. Any screw-top narrow neck bottle gets the dribble down the side. Less viscous products not only dribble down when pulling back up, but also down the side during the pour.

Maybe Im pouring wrong, but have no issues with TCW-3, and other stuff like MMO, SI-1, and startron all do this.

UGH. Very annoyed given the mess on my hands. I may start wearing rubber gloves.

I use two old 8oz empty sta-bil bottles,measure and pour nice long neck to get to your fill hole.

STA-BIL_8oz_Fuel_Stabilizer_bottle_222081.jpg

I have a 2-part system. One part is a bottle with graduations on it so I can measure out whatever quantity I want. The other part is an empty Lucas UCL bottle, which I use to add the additive to the fuel tank (it has a very long and narrow neck).

I keep a cleanly measurable quantity of additive in the measuring bottle. When I want to add the additive to the fuel tank, I transfer exactly the quantity I want into the Lucas UCL bottle, and then quickly invert the UCL bottle and jam it into the filler hole. Almost no spillage every time.

Hope that was comprehensible...

measuring the adds is quite easy to me for the most part.

Is the lucas bottle you use the small one or the quart one?

Funnel, paper towel, and additive. Pour into funnel(the cheap 99 cent ones work), wait for about a minute and then pull the funnel(wipe excess from bottom of funnel). After this, I place the paper towel in the fill spout of the funnel and let any residue drain back down the funnel tube to the paper towel. Usually not messy, just need to wash my hands after.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
Funnel, paper towel, and additive. Pour into funnel(the cheap 99 cent ones work).

Same here. Use this method at home after I fill up the tank.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

The small one. It's the only bottle I'm aware of that can reach all the way in to the bottom of the filler hole on my car.

Problems with the funnel, paper towels, etc. is all the waste. Even if you dont drip additive all over, there WILL be residue down the side of the bottle. Not good to get on the skin. Plus, these things do vaporize to some level and create airborne chemicals that arent suitable for breathing. Think summertime... ALl that stuff will flash off into the air in the car.
But dose before and you either risk excessive concentration for some period of time, or excess adds sitting in the filler tube. Some may degrade the rubber parts, creating secondary issues.

The economics of using the adds are very sensitive to nothing else going bad as a secondary or ternary effect.

Problems with the funnel, paper towels, etc. is all the waste. Even if you dont drip additive all over, there WILL be residue down the side of the bottle. Not good to get on the skin.

Hmmm did my post go unseen?

an old stabil bottle works great,,fill with your additive of choice, squeeze the measured amount and pour it in,simple works for me no fuss no mess.

I have a fairly long, narrow funnel which I believe is intended for gas filler use. It pushes the filler flap out of the way perfectly and holds in the filler without moving.

The funnel goes in a large zip lock bag with paper toweling in it. This towel only needs to be changed every couple of months.

The funnel is the same as this guy's:

5366Container-med.jpg

I dose with FP+. I used to use their pop-top dosing bottle with graduations on the side and guesstimate what I needed. No drips or mess. I'm now using the 1qt FP+ doser which allows you to pre-measure and squirt. It's like the MMO bottle but has a bit of a nozzle on it so it squirts into the funnel instead of pouring. Either way I think the ability to squeeze-and-squirt makes less mess than pouring.

fuel_subimages.jpg

Last edited:
Long neck funnel. I think the kind used for transmission oil. i eyeball measurements. Not precise. Doubt if we need extra precise measuremnts.

daman's first post was the last word on this subject. The Stabil bottle is perfect for measuring out and delivering the dose without funnels or paper towels, and can easily be refilled. Go get yourself a 32oz bottle, use up the stabil or put it in another container, and start using it. Thank us later
grin.gif

jeff

yep the sa-bill bottle is good i keep mmo in mine. think ill look in into fp-plus, fp-60. i realy enjoy seeing the neet things our friend come up with on this site

I use this. It is 12 ounces. I marked the side with a Magic Marker @ ~1oz intervals. Purchased at Wal-Mart

393542330.jpg

I made up this chart in my word processor so I know how much oil to add when I fill up. I just look at my trip mileage, and then match it up on the chart. My truck gets about 15-16 mpg, so the chart is made for 512:1 or 640:1 per gallon. The 640:1 is ~1oz per 5 gallons.

394336369.jpg

Most gas stations should have paper towels. Wipe your bottle after you dose. If the gas stations don't have towels, take a few extra napkins the next time you visit a fast food restaurant, and use those. I have an old T-shirt jammed in a corner of my engine compartment that I use to wipe the dipstick after checking the oil. I check the oil at every fill up. You can take an old shirt, and wipe the bottle, then check your oil, and put the dirty smelly rag somewhere in the engine compartment. You might also be able to put the bottle somewhere in the engine compartment.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: d00df00d

The small one. It's the only bottle I'm aware of that can reach all the way in to the bottom of the filler hole on my car.

+1 I find the small one works pretty well.

I purchased 50 2oz safe plastic bottles with flip tops from a company called seattle bottle company. NO MESS every again!

For my additive to gasoline I use the empty 6 ounce Gumout/Regane Fuel system bottles. I re-fill each 6 ounce bottle from a reusable MMO quart bottle of my fuel mix. The MMO bottle contains 1 pint of TC-W3 and 1 pint of Chevron Techron Fuel system cleaner and this is kept at home and only used to fill up the empty 6 ounce bottles when all are empty.

For my mix, I add one 6 ounce bottle to 12 - 14 gallons of regular unleaded gas at fill up which gives me 3 ounces of TC-W3 and 3 ounces of Chevron Techron.

I keep a store of them in a Tall, Empty, Plastic, Folgers coffee can with a snap lid and put the empty bottles with their caps on back into this Folgers coffee container. When all the bottles are empty, I just refill from the MMO container and refill the MMO container with the 1 pint of TC-W3 and Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner.

1, 20 ounce bottle of Chevron Techron Fuel system cleaner lasts about 7 Fill ups. I usually buy these when they are on sale at B1GOF at Advance or AZ

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back