Houston we have a problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: Silver02ex
Did my OC today on the Civic, taking the old washer off took the longest than everything else about the OC.

How's that possible? The washer just falls off.

Dont know if this was the problem, but, if its never been changed before, the aluminum squishes out over time and wraps itself around the head of the drain plug. When I would find one of those I would just replace the plug and washer. If you just bought a washer though you have to try to peel it off.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: Silver02ex
Did my OC today on the Civic, taking the old washer off took the longest than everything else about the OC.

How's that possible? The washer just falls off.

Following the others, it is annoyingly (albeit only mildly) possible. The ones Toyota provides are made from some fibrous material. I find that maybe half the time, the washer sticks to either the pan surface around the drain opening, or the opposing surface of the plug head. For me, anyway, a small bit of prodding from the smooth blade on my Leatherman tool removes it without too much effort.

Hope thats not a "hammer the screw driver through the filter" oil change wrench. I havent done THAT since I was a kid
wink.gif

You know, it's easy to change the oil pan plug without losing any oil.

Just rig a shop vac to the oil filler and turn it on. Will create enough vacuum in the crankcase so that no oil will spill out. You will have several seconds to pull the plug, install the washer and replace it before any oil spills.

Ask me how I know....

Interesting... Maybe a chance of blowing up your shop vac though?
I just set the washer where I could reach it with one hand to put in on the plug. Pulled the plug, put a rag over the hole to stop the flow, get the washer on the plug and do the quick switch. I left the drain pan there and it caught most of the couple ounces of oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back