Honda Z1 ATF 2004 Odyssey 45,000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honda Z-1 fluid is $4.75 a qt at HandA.com. Order some filters and wiper blades to even out the shipping. If you order several items the freight is quite reasonable. I am doing a 3 qt drain and fill every 20K. It costs me about $15 to do this.(Actually less thanks to The Critic) This is mighty cheap insurance for a $2000-3000 transmission. Mine shifts fast and smooth even at over 5K RPM, and intend to keep it that way.
driving.gif

Quote:

Fill through the dipstick.

Worst idea, ever. This idea seems to circulate the Honda and Acura forums and is absolutely beyond me as to why anyone would want to even think about it...

Quote:

You can also do it by removing the oil jet hose from the jet barb and hooking up your tubing to it. IIRC, it's 3/8" I.D.

As if it's really easy to work in that tight spot...

Quote:

How is that more of a tight spot than this?
Quote:

The oil jet bracket is held down by a 12mm long bolt. Remove the bolt, and the oil jet lifts right out. You'll have a hollow fill bolt in sight. Fill through there, or if desired, remove the hollow bolt with a 24mm.

Did they teach you some new tricks in shop class nobody else knows?

Quote:

Quote:

How is that more of a tight spot than this?
Quote:

The oil jet bracket is held down by a 12mm long bolt. Remove the bolt, and the oil jet lifts right out. You'll have a hollow fill bolt in sight. Fill through there, or if desired, remove the hollow bolt with a 24mm.

Did they teach you some new tricks in shop class nobody else knows?

It's much easier to remove the long bolt than to stick a set of pliers down there and undo the hose clamp.

To remove the long bolt, just grab your 18" ratchet and extension and the bolt can be removed easily.

Quote:

It's much easier to remove the long bolt than to stick a set of pliers down there and undo the hose clamp.

To remove the long bolt, just grab your 18" ratchet and extension and the bolt can be removed easily.

I don't see how getting an 18" ratchet extension and then moving the jet out of the way is any better than just losening the clamp/hose. Either way, you need to get you hand down there.

Quote:

Elaborate

Refilling through the dipstick tube is painfully slow. What is there to understand ???

Remove the bolt for the oil jet and the entire assembly lifts out..you can then use a regular funnel.

Quote:

I don't see how getting an 18" ratchet extension and then moving the jet out of the way is any better than just losening the clamp/hose. Either way, you need to get you hand down there.

I just have fears of hose clamps going back on me and coming lose. I just prefer not to touch them...it's a personal preference.

A bigger concern is to make sure none of the hoses have any kinks in them after you're done, but the same applies to whether you remove the hose or the jet itself.

Quote:

Refilling through the dipstick tube is painfully slow. What is there to understand ???

So, it's not exactly the worst idea ever, huh?
smirk.gif
It's not "painfully" slow unless you can't pay attention for more than 10 seconds.

Quote:

Quote:

Fill through the dipstick.

Worst idea, ever. This idea seems to circulate the Honda and Acura forums and is absolutely beyond me as to why anyone would want to even think about it...

I've been filling automatic transmissions through the dipstick for years. Now I feel bad that a 16 year old says that is the worst idea, EVER.

The worst idea ever... Even worse than taking automotive maintenance advice from someone who doesn't own a car?
laugh.gif

Quote:

I've been filling automatic transmissions through the dipstick for years. Now I feel bad that a 16 year old says that is the worst idea, EVER.

The worst idea ever... Even worse than taking automotive maintenance advice from someone who doesn't own a car?
laugh.gif

I never said that it was the worse idea, ever, for ALL automatic transmissions. It is though, just in this particular case and others where a fill bolt is easily accessible. As for my age, I'm older than 16, and am actually more capable at auto repair than many people several times my age regardless of my vehicle ownership status.

The CL-S was in the shop again yesterday and I snapped a picture of the oil jet assembly that I have been referring to (for easy removal to fill) and I'll be posting pictures once I get home.

When I was a teenager I knew everything too.

I personally have filled our Honda Accord AT through the dipstick every ~10k miles with zero problems, zero disassembly, zero hassle.

And I know a lot more now than when I was a teenager.

Remember, there is a lot more to automotive maintenance than reading about it on the internet.

Last edited:
Quote:

When I was a teenager I knew everything too.

I personally have filled our Honda Accord AT through the dipstick every ~10k miles with zero problems, zero disassembly, zero hassle.

And I know a lot more now than when I was a teenager.

Remember, there is a lot more to automotive maintenance than reading about it on the internet.

What made you think that I'm a desk mechanic ???

Anyway, your 04 Accord V6 may have a large dipstick opening like some of the 4-cyl Hondas, I don't know, you may be right. However, the Honda V6 that I did had a dipstick opening that was no bigger than a drinking straw.

Here's a picture of that bracket you folks with the oil jet installed, 5-speed Automatics have:

IMG_0109edited.jpg

Remove that bolt you see in the picture to remove the entire bracket.

Mike - who's van Honda did you steal for the picture?
laugh.gif

Listen Mikey, you are pretty smart and you are fairly mechanically inclined - but you are still a desk mechanic. Sure you've worked on a few cars. But please when you give advice, use a few humble words until you are 18. Maybe in this case, just saying "filling an Ody through the AT Dippy stick will be a royal PIT~" - would have sufficed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back