Honda Power Steering Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Cooper, you may want to check for any sign of leak, be it small or just seeping. it's very possible the Honda PS fluid is darkening due to oxidation.

Originally Posted By: Cooper
Yup, checked for leaks. All is good. Honda PSF just gets dark pretty fast. It is working well....

I see. I think it's time to flush mine!

Originally Posted By: Irishamerican
Do not veer away from OEM fluids in a Honda. I have worked on a lot of Honda's back home in Europe and other than engine oil, every other fluid in the car/SUV must be OEM.

Power Steering fluid, Coolant, MTF, ATF and DPF fluids must all be OEM. Don't worry about the color of your PS fluid, change it again in 20,000 miles if you're worried about it. That's one of the main reasons as to why Honda's as so reliable.

My CRV is a 2006 and I did all the fluids again recently at 120,000 and the PS fluid was dark after I did it. I will do it again at 140k. Keep on driving your Honda it's way more reliable than most if not every car out there now. They make the finest naturally aspirated engine in the world and I am a German car nut!

I know another FLUID you can use that is NOT HONDA and its fine to use....

Brake FLUID.

Long as its DOT3 or DOT4 it says on my refill CAP.

I dont think you have to pay 7$ for HONDA DOT3 Brake Fluid.. When you can get Prestone or Valvoline or even a House Brand for a few bucks.

Now for PSF and ATF and Coolant.. Im all for OEM.

Yea, I have never used Genuine Honda Brake Fluid in a Honda. ATMOF, I have only used AAP's WearEver and W*M's SuperTech Brake Fluid in all of our cars(Pontiac, Lexus, Nissan, Mazda, Plymouth, Honda).

As-far-as other fluids I agree, use the specified A/F, ATF's and PSF and such.

I have used Bardahl/Honda PSF in Honda's P/S units with decent success but, when the outside temps fall below ZERO-F, you may want the Honda Genuine PSF as it is the absolute best.

Last edited:
Honda use a much thicker PS fluid than the regular ATF type that others use, and it came with detergent pack too (I read the spec of Idemitsu's spec between Honda and non Honda), and from what I understand it is semi synthetic.

You can use the "for Honda" PS fluid in parts stores and Walmart too, but they are usually $3 / 12oz and is not as good (not semi synthetic and is much thicker when cold) instead of Honda's $4-5 / 12oz, and I only used 2 bottle when following Honda's method of disconnecting the hose and run it dry before adding new ones. At $2 difference each flush, I'd use the better fluid from Honda.

ATF, coolant, Brake fluids are all different story. I'd use any Brake fluid with no problem (DOT 3 or 4), I'd use any non silicate coolant with no problem too (as long as it is flushed completely out), and from my experience multi-vehicle ATF is fine (like MaxLife or Castrol IMV, which is synthetic) because Honda's ATF has zinc due to their non porous clutch pack (using Honda ATF in non Honda can plug the porous clutch packs and make the tranny slip).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Honda use a much thicker PS fluid than the regular ATF type that others use, and it came with detergent pack too (I read the spec of Idemitsu's spec between Honda and non Honda), and from what I understand it is semi synthetic.

You can use the "for Honda" PS fluid in parts stores and Walmart too, but they are usually $3 / 12oz and is not as good (not semi synthetic and is much thicker when cold) instead of Honda's $4-5 / 12oz, and I only used 2 bottle when following Honda's method of disconnecting the hose and run it dry before adding new ones. At $2 difference each flush, I'd use the better fluid from Honda.

ATF, coolant, Brake fluids are all different story. I'd use any Brake fluid with no problem (DOT 3 or 4), I'd use any non silicate coolant with no problem too (as long as it is flushed completely out), and from my experience multi-vehicle ATF is fine (like MaxLife or Castrol IMV, which is synthetic) because Honda's ATF has zinc due to their non porous clutch pack (using Honda ATF in non Honda can plug the porous clutch packs and make the tranny slip).

I saw a PDF from Honda that said the only Differnce from ATF-Z1 and AFT-DW1 was the DW-1 was better in cold weather......

Has anyone else seen that PDF from HONDA?

I always use Honda ATF Z1 back when they had it and now DW-1 and somtimes I think what the heck, let me get Maxx Life or REDLINE D4 however I always seem to get Honda Dw-1

I think if I were to use a NON HONDA ATF it would be Redline D4... I hear some great things about that ATF.

However Maxx LIFE ATF.... I dunno...

I used Amsoil PSF in a 2003 Acura MDX with good results instead of the OEM. I was initially hesitant to do that based on all the hype about the need to use Honda OEM fluid but it ended up being a good decision. I initially changed out the OEM fluid with more OEM fluid because the fluid was completely black at 80,000 miles. It only took about 15,000 more miles for the fluid to get black again. At that point, I changed over to Amsoil synthetic PSF and it took 45,000 miles for it to get really dark. For what it's worth, I changed it out with battery tester method because the turkey baster would not fit all the way down into the reservoir to get all the old fluid. Ended up changing out the reservoir itself as well because of all the crud that was on the bottom. For anyone believing in preventive maintenance, I strongly suggest changing out the PSF fluid sooner rather than later. Also, to show the difference between OEM fluids and high quality synthetics, I had a PS pump fail on a 1993 Lexus SC400 at only 75,000 miles when it was using the OEM PSF which was Dexron ATF. When I had the pump replaced, I insisted on them putting in Redline D4 fluid instead of Dexron. Ten years and 150,000 miles later, that fluid was perfectly pink and had none of that typical power steering fluid smell. It was pristine after all that time. Now, on my new to me 2011 Infiniti EX35, after only 13,000 miles, the Genuine Nissan PSF in the power steering reservoir looks pretty bad and smells old. Am just about to take a sample to send in to the lab to check out how scientifically how bad it is--my point is that the synthetic Redline looked better after 150,000 miles than the non-synthetic Genuine Nissan PSF looks at 13,000 miles. Don't be afraid to go synthetic with your Honda. Amsoil PSF will work better than the OEM in my experience.

Originally Posted By: David1

However Maxx LIFE ATF.... I dunno...

I've used ML for at least 60k already, and Castrol IMV for 30k, so far both are working well.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: asharris7
Prove me wrong on the Trans and I'll eat my words...yeeeah..

Can you prove the OEM Honda fluid is better than Amsoil ATF?
Lots of Honda ticking bomb transmissions are staying together on Amsoil ATF that let go multiple times with OEM Honda fluid.
Want some salt and pepper with that? How about a knife and fork?

Trav,

I think you misunderstood my quote of "eating my words." I was telling the guy that said I should only use DW-1 that ATL is better. You and I have discussed this and thank you again for helping me out on PM.

Honestly Honda OEM fluid has always worked best for me but if you are losing PS fluid everywhere and nursing a pump for a little more life use whatever Honda/Acura P/s fluid you can find.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used some off brand PSF that said for Honda to flush our Accord and looked on the manufacturers website and it said only use in Hondas for top off, not full fill. It didn't say that on the bottle. I flushed it out of there ASAP. Stick with Honda fluid in power steering, a no brainer.

What off brand was it?

Ive never created a problem when using non genuine Honda fluids when servicing that brand. Local autopart stores have various brands of psf for Honda usage and none have caused me any issues.

Do not veer away from OEM fluids in a Honda. I have worked on a lot of Honda's back home in Europe and other than engine oil, every other fluid in the car/SUV must be OEM.

Power Steering fluid, Coolant, MTF, ATF and DPF fluids must all be OEM. Don't worry about the color of your PS fluid, change it again in 20,000 miles if you're worried about it. That's one of the main reasons as to why Honda's as so reliable.

My CRV is a 2006 and I did all the fluids again recently at 120,000 and the PS fluid was dark after I did it. I will do it again at 140k. Keep on driving your Honda it's way more reliable than most if not every car out there now. They make the finest naturally aspirated engine in the world and I am a German car nut!

I agree with most HONDA Fluids.. but Brake FLUID and Washer FLUID....

I have never heard anyone say... OH WOW my HONDA stops much better with HONDA OEM 7$ a pint Brake fluid.

LOL.

however coolant and ATF and PSF its best to use HONDA

Also what about HONDA OEM refrigerant for the A/C ???

I have never heard anyone say... OH WOW my HONDA stops much better with HONDA OEM 7$ a pint Brake fluid.

I have.

http://www.honda.com/newsandviews/article.aspx?id=5717-en

Quote:
American Honda Motor Co., Inc., today announced a voluntary safety recall of 471,820 model year 2005 to 2007 Acura RL and model year 2005 to early 2007 Honda Odyssey vehicles to replace a seal in the brake master cylinder.

Honda made this decision to prevent the unlikely failure of a seal in the brake master cylinder. It is possible for the seal to fail if the Honda Genuine DOT 3 brake fluid installed at the factory is replaced with certain aftermarket brake fluids with reduced lubrication properties, followed by a manual brake bleed with full and rapid stroke of the brake pedal. This could cause the seal to become twisted within its retention groove. The twisted seal could then leak a small amount of brake fluid when the vehicle is used. A brake fluid leak due to this would cause the low brake fluid warning lamp to illuminate until repaired. Failure to repair the master cylinder seal would eventually result in a soft brake pedal and the possible loss of one of the two hydraulic braking circuits.

Drivers of affected vehicles should be aware that this condition will always cause the low brake fluid light to illuminate. If any of the vehicle's malfunction indicators are illuminated, owners should take their vehicle to a dealer for repair immediately.
American Honda will begin to notify owners of affected vehicles within the next two months. Acura and Honda dealers will repair affected vehicles free of charge using a revised design of the brake master cylinder seal.

In my opinion, brake fluid is something you might change every 3-5 years, and it costs either $5 or $10 depending on the fluid used. What aftermarket fluids were used in these cars? Hard to tell. But that's a cost difference I won't lose any sleep over myself. I use the Honda brake fluid in our Hondas.

As for the washer fluid...one can probably get by with the generic stuff...
smile.gif

It's funny that Toyota/Honda/Nissan/... are all having the same master cylinder leakage issue. Most that I've seen were still on factory fluid. Makes you wonder how good those lowest bid seals are. Even more sad when automaker points finger of blame on everybody else.

Oddly enough, up here, Nissan/Infiniti only has Nissan branded DOT 4 on the shelf. So, I'm sure they'll blame DOT 4 judiciously up here, as only if it's the "wrong" brand - i.e. not theirs.

I agree with most HONDA Fluids.. but Brake FLUID and Washer FLUID....

LOL.

however coolant and ATF and PSF its best to use HONDA

After strong consideration and going back on forth on a decision, I did a 3x3 drain and fill with Amsoil's new low viscosity ATL transmission fluid. It's been running great after almost 6k miles on it. I do think it's one of the best, if not THE best on the market. I do stick to Honda Coolant, PSF however.

I don't see the point, since R-134a is the same, no matter who uses it. Here is an article that may explain it better: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1,1,1,2-Tetrafluoroethane

I don't know if even dealers use refrigerant with some official Honda label, as I am used to seeing 30lb DuPont refrigerant containers on every repair shop's refrigerant machine. DuPont invented the stuff, after all.

Refrigerant oil, however, might have a tiny difference between Honda OEM and many aftermarket PAG oils. That in mind, if both oils are the sam viscosity, it shouldn't make a difference.

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
What off brand was it?

Ive never created a problem when using non genuine Honda fluids when servicing that brand. Local autopart stores have various brands of psf for Honda usage and none have caused me any issues.

It was Gold Eagle Universal Power Steering Fluid. It says on the bottle for all imports I think. I don't see on their web site the info to not use it for full fill in Honda, but it was due to reading the like, I flushed it out. I only run Honda PSF in Hondas now. Not worth it to experiment in my estimation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back