Honda Power Steering Fluid or Amsoil PSF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Idemitsu made Honda PSF in US specs: @40C = 36.00 cSt; @100C = 7.441 cSt and is designed for use in Honda, Acura, Hyundai, Isuzu, Infiniti, Kia, Lexus, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Scion, Subaru, Suzuki, and Toyota

However there must be different versions of Honda PSF around the world since Ravenol as two different options:
RAVENOL Servolenkung PSF Fluid
Viscosity (at 100°C) mm2/s 7.5
Art.- 181000
Honda PSF-S
Hyundai PSF-3
KIA PSF-III
Land Rover Cold Climate PAS Fluid 14315 LRN2261
Mazda PSF
Subaru PS Fluid
TOYOTA PSF-EH

and

RAVENOL Servolenkung PSF-Y Fluid
Art.- 211123
ATF TL 4634
Chrysler 04883077 MS-9933 MS-5931 05098158A
General Motors 1050017 89020661 9985010
Honda 08206-9002 08285-P99-01Z-T1
MB 236.3 A 000 989 88 03
VW/AUDI G 009300A2

Vicosity not listed on this one.

AFAIK Bardahl has a Honda PSF as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tudorart
Idemitsu made Honda PSF in US specs: @40C = 36.00 cSt; @100C = 7.441 cSt and is designed for use in Honda, Acura, Hyundai, Isuzu, Infiniti, Kia, Lexus, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Scion, Subaru, Suzuki, and Toyota

However there must be different versions of Honda PSF around the world since Ravenol as two different options:
RAVENOL Servolenkung PSF Fluid
Viscosity (at 100°C) mm2/s 7.5
Art.- 181000
Honda PSF-S
Hyundai PSF-3
KIA PSF-III
Land Rover Cold Climate PAS Fluid 14315 LRN2261
Mazda PSF
Subaru PS Fluid
TOYOTA PSF-EH

and

RAVENOL Servolenkung PSF-Y Fluid
Art.- 211123
ATF TL 4634
Chrysler 04883077 MS-9933 MS-5931 05098158A
General Motors 1050017 89020661 9985010
Honda 08206-9002 08285-P99-01Z-T1
MB 236.3 A 000 989 88 03
VW/AUDI G 009300A2

Vicosity not listed on this one.

AFAIK Bardahl has a Honda PSF as well.

Unless it's just recently changed, Honda brand PSF viscosity specs at 11.4 at 40C. I'm not sure what determines "compatibility", apparently not viscosity so much as additive pack?

Originally Posted By: bubbajoe_2112

Yeah, well those of you that have Amsoil PSF in your Honda are now screwed if you get low. I just called Amsoil and their answer was to remove the Amsoil and replaced it with Honda PSF rather than use the new Amsoil. They also recommended against mixing in Honda PSF with the old Amsoil. An interesting predicament now for Amsoil PSF users....

That is incorrect information. If you get a chance, please PM me the name of the tech who told you this.

Here is what Amsoil actually says: If a customer purchased the new formulation of AMSOIL PSF, we no longer support its use where the Honda spec is required. If customer has the old formulation, which carries the Honda spec on the bottle, there are no issues using it. With respect to mixing the Honda PSF with the old version of AMSOIL PSF, there are no concerns, you may top up with Honda PSF.

My 1989 Accord specified Honda PSF only. I only used Honda or aftermarket fluid stating that it was for Honda vehicles. I never paid that much for it. I pretty much used Bardahl and Prestone brands from WM or parts stores.

Quote:
Unless it's just recently changed, Honda brand PSF viscosity specs at 11.4 at 40C. I'm not sure what determines "compatibility", apparently not viscosity so much as additive pack?

Did you mean 11.4 cSt@100C?

I think it' more a matter of additive pack than viscosity.

I would think a 7.4cSt viscosity@100C makes more sense especially for cold weather operation.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Quote:

I would think a 7.4cSt viscosity@100C makes more sense especially for cold weather operation.

No,I did indeed mean 11.4 cSt@100C.

This is one case where I would ABSOLUTELY stick with what the manufacturer specs which is Honda PSF.

Although I would use Prestone or Bahrdahl PSF (for Honda) if I couldn't get the Honda branded fluid in a pinch. As if those major fluid manufacturers claim in writing for Honda if there is an issue they would stand behind their product.

I mean why chance something like this? Who wants to end up buying a new power steering rack? = thousands of $!!!!.

Quote:

What additional additives would they be use over traditional psf.

Originally Posted By: 3311
Quote:

What additional additives would they be use over traditional psf.

Zn, P, Mg and Ca.

PDS for Honda PSF

So now I'm wondering:

If Amsoil claimed compatibility without matching viscosity, are the other's (e.g. Bardahl) doing the same? Anyone seen a PDS or VOA of Bardahl's PSF (Honda spec'd)?

Anyone seen a PDS or VOA of Bardahl's PSF (Honda spec'd)?

I found a series of MSDS sheets for the Bardahl Honda PSF but there is no reference to viscosity.

Just type 'Honda' into the search box and it should show up.
http://msds.canadiantire.ca/search.asp

and Champion apparently released a Honda/Acura version late last year. The viscosity is up there (12.6) and it claims to have the additives, although they are not listed in the spec sheet. Not sure what changed in 2007 for Honda/Acura power steering systems though, anyone know?

Champion Synthetic PSF for Honda/Acura

Last edited:
Not sure what changed in 2007 for Honda/Acura power steering systems though, anyone know?

Originally Posted By: Pablo
the higher vis for the grenading (2006) PS pumps in Odysseys

Quote:
The viscosity is up there (12.6) and it claims to have the additives, although they are not listed in the spec sheet. Not sure what changed in 2007 for Honda/Acura power steering systems though, anyone know?

Someone didn't proof read the SPEC Sheet:

Notice the 40C and 100C viscosities!

Last edited:
yeah, they got them reversed
smile.gif
pretty embarrassing...

Last edited:
I would go with Amsoil fluid. The Honda fluid is scrap.. or maybe it's just their AT and power steering pumps. Ask my stepmom.

Originally Posted By: DrDusty86
I would go with Amsoil fluid. The Honda fluid is scrap.. or maybe it's just their AT and power steering pumps. Ask my stepmom.

I guess you didn't read the whole thread? Amsoil is no longer spec'd for Honda/Acura. Don't use it!!!(Unless you can find an old bottle).

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
This is one case where I would ABSOLUTELY stick with what the manufacturer specs which is Honda PSF.

Although I would use Prestone or Bahrdahl PSF (for Honda) if I couldn't get the Honda branded fluid in a pinch. As if those major fluid manufacturers claim in writing for Honda if there is an issue they would stand behind their product.

I mean why chance something like this? Who wants to end up buying a new power steering rack? = thousands of $!!!!.

I tried the Bahrdahl "Honda" PSF and although they claim it is for use in Honda it is much thicker when cold. At -20C it made the steering very stiff. I end up dumping it and replacing with Honda fluid. I put the two bottles outside at -30C and the Bahrdahl was like molasses verses the Honda fluid that still poured well. They are not equivalent.

The Honda PSF is not that expensive - this is one place to stick with Honda - do not use anything else.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I say, stay with the actual Honda brand P/S fluid as you cna't go wrong with it and it's not too expensive.

One or more things could happen when not using Honda P/S fluid in a Honda system.

Some folks have reported that nothing has happened. Others reported leaks and some folks(as myself) reported stiff steering.

Years ago before I knew better and used a non Honda P/S fluid(regular P/S fluid), and I experienced hard(er) steering with the loss of steering return(on it's own).

I changed back to Honda P/S fluid(actually is was Bardahl/Honda P/S fluid) and all was OK again. But, I think that the true "HONDA" brand P/S fluid it the best, as others claim that the Bardahl/Honda fluid would cause stiff steering in really cold tempuratures(below 0 deg's F) while the HONDA brand stayed smooth in the really colder temps.
Originally Posted By: mva
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

I tried the Bahrdahl "Honda" PSF and although they claim it is for use in Honda it is much thicker when cold. At -20C it made the steering very stiff. I end up dumping it and replacing with Honda fluid. I put the two bottles outside at -30C and the Bahrdahl was like molasses verses the Honda fluid that still poured well. They are not equivalent.

The Honda PSF is not that expensive - this is one place to stick with Honda - do not use anything else.

smile.gif
Once again, we have seen this many times between Bardahl and other off the shelf P/S fluids that are suitable for Honda/Acura systems, "AND" Genuine HONDA/ACURA P/S Fluid.

When the temps really drop into the very cold temps, is where the Honda Genuine is better.

Otherwise, I haven't had any issues using the off the shelf "suitable" for Honda P/S fluid. But, I did notice the differences in steering stiffness below ZERO deg's F, until the P/S system warmed up a bit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back