Honda MTF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a honda civic thats stick and I want to change to the manual transmission fluid to a synthetic one. Any recommendations?

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
Amsoil

Synthetic Synchromesh Transmission Fluid (5W-30) (MTFQT)

This. My '05 civic has been happily running on amsoil mtf for about 6 years and 200k miles.

Originally Posted By: mrcoolguy
I just got a honda civic thats stick and I want to change to the manual transmission fluid to a synthetic one.

How do you know Honda's MTF isn't synthetic? Not too many dino oils are pink.

Amsoil is good. The new Honda MTF (it's been out for a few years) isn't too bad either.

I really like GM/AcDelco Synchromesh Friction Modified MTF.

Honda MTF is half the price of amsoil and very good. I changed the tranny fluid on my old S2000 with it.

It cost me 6.97 a qt at the dealer. Amsoil is over 12$ a qt for 5w30 synchromesh. It's a no-brainer to me. Honda MTF

I'd also recommend the Honda MTF. Used it in my Integra GS-R and S2000. Shifting feel was excellent.

Honda MTF in my S2000 every 30k miles. It had GM Synchromesh Friction Modified MTF for about 20k early in its life from around 10k to 30k, I didn't like it after 15k so I changed to Honda.

Redline MTL 70w-80 in my Accord (race car
smile.gif
)
Honda MTF in my Civic

Most Redline products are basically shear proof. With my Accord, shifting is less smooth in the winter. Where the Civic with the Honda MTF feels the same all year round. Could just be the Honda 6-speed transmission, or the fluid.

Amsoil Syncromesh is also very good. IDK if it has the same shear resistance as Redline though. I do know that Signature Series basestock is NOT used for the Syncromesh.

So personally, if your gonna spend $15/qt, i would get the Redline. But if you dont beat on the car, and just daily drive it... save your money and just get the Honda MTF.

I change mine every 30k/3yr

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back