Honda HS520C2 Snowblower oil level

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked up a new HS520C2 snowblower from my local Ontario Honda Power Equipment dealer. The owners manual says when checking the oil to unscrew the dipstick, wipe it clean, and re insert in the hole but do not thread it in. This shows the oil to be about down to almost nothing on the stick. The dealer claims I am supposed to screw in the dipstick to get a reading, but this is contrary to what the owners manual says. Honda Canada said they would investigate and get back to me in 2 days!! Your thoughts.

Generally on those GX, you fill till the block leaks out. The level when it just starts to leak on at least MY GX engines is what is the fill mark on the dipstick

My Honda HS55 manual (from 1985) says:

...wipe dipstick clean. Insert dipstick into the filler neck but do not screw it in....

..if oil is low fill to top of the oil filler neck....

Do what the manual says on a level surface. I've had and have now many Honda OPE and never seen one where the dipstick was checked when screwed in. The fill to the top types are where there is just a cap, not a dipstick.

I bet if you asked the Honda service tech you would get the right answer. Was that a salesman you spoke with?

Most new Honda engines come without oil and a big yellow tag unless the dealer filled it for you. Does this have a low oil shutdown?

Last edited:
The diagram on the owners manual specifically says do not screw in, Honda Canada says to screw it in, maybe will try Honda USA for correct answer! My old HS35 from 1986 was a screw in, but all newer ones say do not screw in.

Just spoke to Honda Canada and Honda USA and they both clarified that dipstick must not be screwed in. If you are a Canadian check your oil level before using!

I like to take a baseline of my small engines at oil change time. Meaning, pour in the specs amount (aka: 600ml), then use the dipstick screwed in and out to see where that level falls on the stick and only then decide what method to use.

So, moral of the story, get your baseline with the right amount of fluid in the case.

From what I've experienced, regardless of make/model. If it's a threaded dipstick, you don't thread it in to check proper level.

If it's a push to seat, friction fit dipstick, it's got to be pushed in for proper level.

Joel

Originally Posted By: NateDN10
My Honda mower says you do have to screw in the dipstick.

Looked back over the manual and realized I was wrong. Here's what it says:
Quote:
a. Wipe the dipstick clean.
b. Insert and remove the dipstick without screwing it into the filler neck. Check the oil level shown on the dipstick.
c. If the oil level is low, add oil to reach the upper limit mark on the dipstick. Do not overfill.
Notice: Running the engine with a low oil level can cause engine damage.
d. Screw in the filler cap/dipstick securely.

Edit: This is for a GXV140.

Last edited:
On the Honda engines with the filler extension and 2.5" dipstick, filling to top is going to overfill by probably 2x... I've marked mine with a full level when dipstick is fully seated, that way I can unscrew it to check before starting and never wipe it off...

The older model Briggs specifically says to screw cap on fully then remove to check oil... Check those same as my Honda...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back