Honda GN-4 for '11 Ruckus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jeepster_nut
Did the older ruckus models call for 10w-40? Is there a reason why the 2011 calls for 10w-30? Is it EPA related? TIA

Honda made the change to 10w-30 on many of the newer models, not just the Ruckus.

Originally Posted By: car54
5w-40 or 20w-50 oils produce the same results in my scooter. After extended long distance riding, the 20W-50 keeps the valves noticeably quieter, so that's what I run.

Mine is an aircooled vino 125, so not apples to apples, but I have seen ruckii with over 20,000 miles run on whatever oil was cheapest at the time. It sounds like yours will see very little use, but you are concerned with a top notch oil.. maybe look into valvoline VR1 synthetic 10w-30? Probably 10x the oil quality at a similar price to GN4, and the same viscosity should allow you to enjoy all 3.5 horsepower to the fullest.

I ended up using some Valvoline VR1 synthetic 10w-30. I wanted to drain the factory oil and the dealer was closed today so I went to Auto Zone. It was the only 10w-30 that wasnt listed as energy conserving (which the manual states not to use for whatever reason). The oil states that it is high in Zinc. Whats the purpose of zinc? It says racing oil on the bottle (its NOT the version of VR1 that isnt street legal BTW).

Usually, 'energy conserving' isn't recommended due to the clutch sharing the oil with the engine. The 'energy conserving' additives MIGHT make the clutch slip. The Ruckus, IIRC, doesn't have that type of clutch so I don't understand that warning about that oil.

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
Usually, 'energy conserving' isn't recommended due to the clutch sharing the oil with the engine. The 'energy conserving' additives MIGHT make the clutch slip. The Ruckus, IIRC, doesn't have that type of clutch so I don't understand that warning about that oil.

I've never been more confused about which oil to use before reading this Ruckus manual lol. If using the VR-1 is the best oil without going to the dealer and paying more for less, then that's fine by me. AutoZone is alot closer too
grin.gif

I think the manual was written by idiots. most user manuals seem to be, especially for the yamaha scooter I ride. it says replace belt at 2000 miles one place, and 12,000 another place. it also recommends different oil viscosity on different pages.

report back in 40,000 miles on how this ruckus is running!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back