honda gen 4 hurricane butused in cold snap,

Status
Not open for further replies.
have a small2500 watt I think honda generator for hurricane use, this week we had no power due to cold snow.

was it ok to run it with the summer (30 weight?) oil in it. it was in my garage at 50 degrees? 60 degrees? when we lost power today? I havled it out and it started

hate to have to change oil for winer use, never happenned before

SAE30 is fine at those temps you listed.

FWIW, I've started vehicles with Delo SAE30 below freezing and had instant flow from the rockers (BuickGN did the same test with 20W50 back in the day). While not ideal, nothing is going to blow up.

that oil is probably fine for starting down to around 32F. if its much colder than that.. you could always bring it in to warm up abit.

I did what you did in a 15 degree ice storm. If you want to be nice, keep the load off it for a minute.

Your fine if the oil never got cold enough to get thick. But be careful not to leave it off too long during refulling so the oil never has time enough to get too cold.

Of course you have to leave it off long enough so it is cooled off enough to be safe if some gasoline vapor contacts the hottest parts such as the muffler.

And of course you don't want to leave it off for a few hours to save gasoline because after a few hours it's going to get cold enough to make a straight 30 weight thicken up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back