Honda GCV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who's got a ton of hours on a GCV 160 or 190? These are Honda's residential grade vertical shaft mower engines. I have one GCV 160 that I've owned since 2004, and probably have 200 hours on it. I haven't had to do anything to it, not even a carburetor cleaning (and I store treated gas in it year-round).

Anyway, what's the life expectancy of one of these engines? What are common problems? Should one nearly last "forever" given good maintenance? I change oil twice a year.

Have a GCV190 on a pressure washer at work. Gas tank is above the carb and the float failed causing it to fill the crank up with gasoline as it sits. Didn't have a fuel cutoff.

It probably has several hundred hours on it, and that's the only problem it has experienced.

Last edited:
I have a 1999 Honda self-propelled mower with a GVC160.

Still runs great. I started out using dino 5W30 or straight 30 changed annually.

I have been using Amsoil 0W40 four stroke oil since 2008. I run this stuff for 2 years before changing. The Amsoil has eliminated the puff of black smoke I used to get when going from slow idle to full throttle.

No other maintenance on the engine other than one air filter change and one spark plug change. I did install a fuel filter after the gas tank many years ago.

My mower has 300 to 400 hours on it. I don't consider that to be very much on an engine. A typical car with 200,000 miles would have about 5,000 hours. I manage a fleet of forklifts that go 1000 hours between oil changes! And 8,000 hours on a forklift without any major engine work is not unheard of.

im not the biggest honda fan, but i do like these little "push mower" engines. i had one break a rocker arm ($4 part), i replaced it, but didnt adjust the valves, so it doesnt decompress properly making the rope harder to pull (my fault) but it still starts first pull. i had a guy with a similar problem give me an engine, i had an old snapper (1982) self propelled sitting around, so i redrilled the holes and bolted the fixed up honda on her, my guys love that old snapper now

I've had my OHC Honda GC powered Harmony mower since 1999. Never had to touch the engine aside from having to adjust the throttle cable so it would actuate the choke properly.

I can't say I've taken great care of it either. Ran the factory sparkplug for over 10yrs, mowed more with it than I should, etc. It still purrs like a kitten.

Joel

Originally Posted By: clarklawnscape
i had an old snapper (1982) self propelled sitting around, so i redrilled the holes and bolted the fixed up honda on her, my guys love that old snapper now

Makes for one heck of a good mower eh? I did same on a '83...

http://amradio.freeiz.com/misc/snappahond1.jpg

My '04 Honda engine was used and I doubt it had ever seen a oil change... I did a flush with the remains of what was in three bottles of different grades of Advance oil and then changed it with M1 0W-40... That was last fall and after approx 10 cuttings it's still full... I won't change it again till end of this season, may even wait till spring '13...

I am probably one of the few who dislikes Honda engines. I've got one on a self propelled Husqvarna push mower and I've had nothing but trouble ranging from cheap plastic pieces breaking to not starting on the same gas that my backup Briggs and Stratton mower would run on. That and it does not seem to be as powerful as my Briggs mower.

Just my experience - but my buddys who have them seem happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back