Honda Dealer's Courtesy Check

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend and I dropped by the Honda dealer this morning for a quick $20 oil change on his '01 Accord V6. Before going in, I knew that he had a burnt out driver's side headlight bulb and a broken driver's side wiper blade. He was having trouble replacing those two items, so I was going to help him after we got the car back.

The dealer of course, told us that those two items needed replacement. Later in the day, while I was replacing the headlight bulb and wiper blade, I noticed that the ATF was dark brown and barely showing on the stick! The engine air filter had also not been checked, but to their defense, the Express Service inspection sheet does not have a line for filter inspections.

Anyway, I was quite surprised that the dealer missed the upsell opportunity for the transmission service. And even though they don't *have* to check the engine air filter per the Express Service inspection requirements, I am surprised they did not check it since it is such an easy opportunity.

Dealers. Sometimes, they just puzzle me.

Speaking of Honda air filters, what puzzles me is why they like to use screws to retain the air box cover. My brother-in-law took his '07 Accord Coupe somewhere for an oil change, and they said they didn't check the air filter because the lid was screwed on. I thought, "no, that can't be right," but sure enough, it's screwed on. Then when we bought our Acura MDX...sure enough, the lid is screwed on.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Speaking of Honda air filters, what puzzles me is why they like to use screws to retain the air box cover.

Yes, HIGHLY annoying. On my 2001 Civic at around 150k, one of those screws was seized in the plastic and broke the plastic tab when I tried to remove it.

At least on Hondas the air filter box retains its screws, on my Corsica if you weren’t careful, a simple 5 mins filter change could turn up into an hour of hunting for the lost screw
lol.gif

The airbox screws aren't that bad. Just make sure the car is completely cool before you try to loosen them. I guess that plastic expands quite a bit.

Originally Posted By: CivicFan
If they had done the upsell, you probably would be upset at their greed.

My thoughts exactly. I get a lot of time where I check something and its recommended(fluids only) I don't even mention it. Due to the fact some customer get [censored] off and think I'm trying to upsell them something,and you can tell who they are right when the pull up into the lot. I just write it on there reciept.

No offence, but for $20 these days, what do you expect? When they realize you aren't biting on upsells from the wiper blades and lights, why should he check extra stuff, when he picks up that you'll refuse it?

Like others have said, Critic, there is absolutely no pleasing you - if they had tried to upsell you stuff even slightly agressively, you would have complained. They DIDN'T, and you STILL complained.

:p

When I first read the topic, I thought this thread was going in a different direction than I anticipated.

32.gif

Long story, but I found Honda's reaction to be.....interesting.

My friend brought his Odyssey in to the dealer to get the CD changer repaired (warranty). The dealer removed the changer and told him they need to send it in (to a third party repair station). They told him it would be a two week turn around.

Three weeks go by and my friend calls the dealer to get a status report. The dealer tells him that it'll be another couple of weeks. This went on for over two months.

My friend goes to the dealer and speaks with the service manager. He asks him if they can remove a changer from a car on the lot and install it in his vehicle. When the repaired changer shows up, put that one in their vehicle. The service manager tells my friend that they should have done this in the first place. The work is done and my friend drives away happy.

A few days go by and Honda America calls my friend to ask about his "experience". My friend told them what had happened; all the run around, etc. No irritation on the part of my friend. It takes a lot to tick him off.

Two hours later, the dealership service manager calls my friend. He's practically begging my friend to let them make it right. My friend tells them that they don't need to do anything. He has the new changer and he's happy. The begging continues to the point where the service manager tells my friend that someone will get fired over this if they don't do something to make this right.

My friend got a set of those all weather floor mats front-to-rear for free out of this. When my friend goes to pick up the mats, the service manager come over to him and tells him that the service writer that initially wrote the work order will be getting fired.

My thought exactly-if they would have discussed the other items we'd be hearing about how the dealer tried to take advantage of him and sell something he didn't need.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Speaking of Honda air filters, what puzzles me is why they like to use screws to retain the air box cover. My brother-in-law took his '07 Accord Coupe somewhere for an oil change, and they said they didn't check the air filter because the lid was screwed on. I thought, "no, that can't be right," but sure enough, it's screwed on. Then when we bought our Acura MDX...sure enough, the lid is screwed on.

My 2011 Accord's air box cover is screwed closed as well, my 07 Civic had clips easy to check. I find it strange as well.

Give me screws over those flimsy thin sheet metal clips anyday!!! Also makes for a better seal as to not having the engine suck in unfiltered air.

Quote:
Quote:
Speaking of Honda air filters, what puzzles me is why they like to use screws to retain the air box cover.

Yes, HIGHLY annoying. On my 2001 Civic at around 150k, one of those screws was seized in the plastic and broke the plastic tab when I tried to remove it.
Yep, been there done that on an 01 Civic too. Only it was the dealer that over tightened the screws (a couple), with an electric nut/screwdriver no doubt. When I next tried to check the filter, the plastic around the bottom half snapped, had to buy a new bottom half of the air box. Perhaps the OP should be glad they didn't check the air filter.
21.gif

Quote:
lol.gif

Not at all. I know that I sometimes convey that I am against all upsells, but I am not. Many upsells are legitimate, and pointing out low/dirty ATF is certainly one of them.

It's a $20 oil change. You're lucky enough to get the proper amount of oil put in the engine.

My girlfriend takes her Monte Carlo to Chevy for service, and they have that full circle [censored]. She has the original brake fluid in the car (2002) that looks like coffee. The report says her brake fluid was in "excellent" shape, just like everything else on the sheet.

If you think some tech is going to change your oil and then go through that check-list you are in la-la land. 95% of them will just check fine for all the boxes, and move on to cars where they can make some real money.

If anything your friend is to blame for his negligence of his own vehicle. Broken wiper, burnt bulb, and burnt ATF that is low. He obviously doesn't care about checking fluids or keeping his car in shape. I'd ask him what his deal is much more than the tech.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back