Honda Civic 2005..oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a 2005 Honda Civic with the 1.7 D17A2 engine. It only has 92 k miles and runs amazing. Here are some pics of the car and oil fill tube. I will be taking it to college next year and will most likely do year OCI (about 10k miles) on a synthetic. It currently has PP 0W20. Let me know what you guys think.

how do you like the Amsoil 0W20?

I want to run a 0W20 so its between Amsoil, Mobil 1, and Pennzoil Platinum.

Sounds like long trips to get 10k in a year? I think any of those oils would do well. The Amsoil wouldn't be a bad idea with its high tbn. I'd be more worried about the filter choice.

Hey nice car! Looks great in there too. PP 0W-20 is a good choice and a good oil to stick with. Maybe a NAPA Platinum filter for the 10k OCI?

If you want to keep it clean use Mobil1 EP 0w20 or 5w20 and an extended filter like a Fram ultra. PP would be good for 5-7.5k but I would not run it 10k. I got a 2009 Civic for my daughter and the previous owner was doing the full OLM OCI (8000) on 5w20 synthetic and then engine was dirty at 40,000 miles. It has 70k on it now and is finally cleaned up from running 5w20 PP and QSUD for 4-5000 mile OCI's. The first 3 oil changes were very dirty at 1000 miles and the filter loaded at 4000.

Last edited:
Also, since I like to give other recommendations...
laugh.gif

The brake fluid in your master cylinder reservoir looks kinda dark... 8 years and 90k on what could potentially be the OE fluid could yield a replacement.

PS Fluid, ATF 3x drain and fill...?

Last edited:
I think I will be going with M1 0W20 or Amsoil 0W20. I like the low cost of M1 but I really like Amsoil SSO. I think both can handle a 10k OCI (mostly highway trips to Vegas lol).

I will be changing the manual transmission fluid to Amsoil Synchromesh Transmission Fluid as well.

Originally Posted By: mrcoolguy
I think I will be going with M1 0W20 or Amsoil 0W20. I like the low cost of M1 but I really like Amsoil SSO. I think both can handle a 10k OCI (mostly highway trips to Vegas lol).

Both those oils are heavier than necessary for your Honda, particularly Amsoil SS.
The OEM 0W-20s are preferred being lighter and will last for 10,000 miles but tend to be more expensive.
Run the cheapest 0W-20 you can find or even a high VI 5W-20 syn like PP (actually lighter than PP 0W-20) which is often very cheap on sale.

My wife had a 2005 Civic with the same motor, and I drove a 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid for 3 years.

I almost exclusively used Mobil 1 in both of those engines and it performed great; very clean, quiet, and great gas mileage (using 5w30 and 0w20, respectively).

Occasionaly, we also used PYB. That too was quiet & smooth....but the mileage dropped off slighlty.

Both oils served well.

My 2 cents.

GL

Honda D-Series engines will run trouble free for hundreds of thousands of kms/miles. The only major maintenance item on these engines is the timing belt replacement. A friend of mine ran a 1991 Civic with the D15 engine for over 400,000kms on nothing but dealership (dino) oil changes and it was still running strong when he totaled the vehicle.

Yeah, since I can find M1 0W20 on sale everywhere I think I will go with that. I wish Mobil made a synthetic manuel transmission fluid for hondas. Anyone recommend any syn MTF in particular for this honda?

Been quite happy with with Redline MT90 transmission fluid on my truck. Fully synthetic & shifts like butter.

Kind of expensive ($9 to $12 per quart) but can be found at most Napa and O'Reilly stores.

I have also heard good things about Redline MTL (thinner weight) tranny fluid.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back