Honda 3.5L owners heads up

Interesting enough the 2016 Acura MDX is on the list my 2015 is not and they both have the same engine. Another reason not to use 0/20. Useless when it comes down to HTHS. I’m very happy with M1 0/40

Interesting enough the 2016 Acura MDX is on the list my 2015 is not and they both have the same engine. Another reason not to use 0/20. Useless when it comes down to HTHS. I’m very happy with M1 0/40
With concern for your first two sentences...
Didn't Acura recommend 5/0w20 for 2015 as well? Your statement above could lead one to believe otherwise if so.

Didn't Acura recommend 5/0w20 for 2015 as well? Your statement above could lead one to believe otherwise if so.
Yes. That’s only a recommendation. I use M1 0/40. I feel well protected under high rpm with a HTHS of >3.5. Why would you want to use a 20 way oil when these things don’t make any power under 3500 RPM she pulls so hard under VTEC from 3500-6800

Yes. That’s only a recommendation. I use M1 0/40. I feel well protected under high rpm with a HTHS of >3.5. Why would you want to use a 20 way oil when these things don’t make any power under 3500 RPM she pulls so hard under VTEC from 3500-6800
Not questioning your choice. Nothing wrong with it. My point is that your previous post could be seen as an inference that the reason 2016+ 3.5 are being recalled is because 0w20 is the recommended viscosity, when xw20 had been the recommendation prior to this and there isn't a recall for those. It may not be how you meant it but it comes across that way.
Either way, enjoy your weekend.

VTEC activates around 5100 RPM. I run an XW-30 in mine, nothing wrong with a 40 but even when wrung out these are not known to be too tough on oil.

Not oil, just an internal part of engine not properly built to spec and causing issues….

Sort of bummed my 2015 Pilot with 113k excluded as I would try to get timing belt changed on the cheap (while in there).

My mum got her timing belt on 2000 tundra changed for under half dealer price because of a frame change happening at same time and motor was exposed/accesible.

Not oil, just an internal part of engine not properly built to spec and causing issues….

Sort of bummed my 2015 Pilot with 113k excluded as I would try to get timing belt changed on the cheap (while in there).

My mum got her timing belt on 2000 tundra changed for under half dealer price because of a frame change happening at same time and motor was exposed/accesible.
Got it.

How do you “improperly” build or machine something? We are talking here about pretty much fully automated processes with little to no human involvement.
These are all six sigma processes too, meaning they have 99.99966% of statistical control.

I feel it’s just something manufacturers learned to throw out so people keep repeating it and it’s easier to dismiss as no big deal.

How do you “improperly” build or machine something? We are talking here about pretty much fully automated processes with little to no human involvement.
These are all six sigma processes too, meaning they have 99.99966% of statistical control.

I feel it’s just something manufacturers learned to throw out so people keep repeating it and it’s easier to dismiss as no big deal.
There are always issues, with supply or processes.

The VW 3.6 had HG issues after they changed assembly lines and the machine was "perfectly" under-torquing all the head bolts.

Could be heat treating not done properly, cam not ground precisely, etc.

There will never be 0 defects in a manufacturing setting.

SO happy my 2015 IS NOT on the list!

Here is the reason why it is failing...taken from the bulletin...
Description of the Cause : During production of the crankshaft, due to improper settings of equipment used to manufacture the engine crankshaft, the crank pin was improperly ground, resulting in crank pins with a crown or convex shape that are out of specification. Identification of Any Warning that can Occur :Abnormal engine noise, engine stalling, and/or decreased engine output with engine check lamp illumination.

Someone not paying attention to their job...ugh..:rolleyes:

This can happen pretty easily. Machine faults out for some reason, electrician or controls guy comes over to clear the fault and fat fingers a preset by accident. Machine is back running and no one realizes what happened until it's to late.

This can happen pretty easily. Machine faults out for some reason, electrician or controls guy comes over to clear the fault and fat fingers a preset by accident. Machine is back running and no one realizes what happened until it's to late.
😮 oh my...thanks for the explanation...I had no idea that could be the cause as well...

Back