HM Oil Choices And Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just recently I was reading a post in the oil additive forum here on BITOG. One member responded that he would suggest using PHM oil for a seepage problem another member was having. For some unknown reason it hit me; Why would he recommend PHM? Why not VML, M1HM, Havoline HM, WMST HM, etc. Does PHM have a special add package that makes it better than other HM oils? And, being that PHM is a conventional oil, and a lot of HM oils out there are semi synthetic and some full synthetic, why PHM?
What I am getting at, the member could have suggested Castrol HM. But why? Because someone or a group of people stated that (insert name brand) HM oil worked for them so they think it should be used?
What I am ultimately trying to say is, who REALLY knows which HM oil actually works? Just because it stopped a leak on Joe Blow's BMW doesn't mean it will stop the same said/type oil leak on Sexy Sally's same model BMW. Could HM oil just be a gimmick oil? Does said ADD PACKAGES that the oil makers claim they use in their oil just be some kind of engine stop leak added in a small quantity?
HM oils........do they REALLY work? Please feel free to add more Q?'s, opinions, lies, this big fish stories, to my "some what" insane post.
(BTW, this same discussion can be used in any oil conversation, some what.}
34.gif
:

We definitely see different results for different products and vehicles here.

Valvoline Maxlife is highly regarded here, but I havent had any luck with it stopping leaks. PHM I have a little bit, but overall I have had the best luck with Mobil 1 HM. Literally stopped my Jeep's RMS leak in less than 5k. But this is just me.
smile.gif

Btw, do you have any pics of Sexy Sally?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Valvoline Maxlife is highly regarded here, but I havent had any luck with it stopping leaks. PHM I have a little bit, but overall I have had the best luck with Mobil 1 HM. Literally stopped my Jeep's RMS leak in less than 5k. But this is just me.
smile.gif

laugh.gif

Sexy Sally

2qaju38.jpg

I would recommend the PHM because all Pennzoil oils have an incredible base oil,TBN,add pack,and always make anything you use them in run smooth as silk. There's just something about Pennzoil oils.

Mmmmmm Sally!!
laugh.gif

Yes HM oil works -- Sometimes...

I used Maxlife in a '93 Grand Marquis with small leak(drip) in rear main seal, it sopped totally... For the valve stem seal issues in the early 4.6, did zip... I suspect it may have helped if I'd switched at around 75K(or sooner)as recommended, oil consumption in the pre '96 engines generally began around 65K mi...

I've switched to Mobil 1 HM in my '98 that was using a quart in 2.5K mi using std M1(had no leaks), consumption is now 5K Qt... This car has only 70K but is almost exclusively a in town, short tripper, switched to HM at 65K mi...

YMMV

I've used Maxlife , Castrol HM , PHM and Mobil 1 HM.
Only one to slow down my leak considerably was the PHM.
Mobil 1 HM actually increased oil consumption in my Vibe.
But just like life... different strokes for different folks.
YMMV

Last edited:
If switching to HM oils, you'll just have to experiment... They are different. The various makers have add pak contracts that differ, they source their crude from different places/fields, their refineries are built differently. Yeah, they are engine oils, but ...

I'd prolly start with PHM because it's readily available and maybe the most benign? But, eventually I'd end up at Mobil1-HM if the ones I tried previously did not do the trick? I'd just follow the cost curve from low to higher...

Lots of Maxlife fans here and elsewhere, so Ashland is doing something well. But will it do what you want, only your engine can tell you that ...

Originally Posted By: GSCJR
No praise or mentioning of QS Defy either; just sayin.

I have had good luck with Defy stopping seepage on the Grand Cherokee 4.0, the Cavalier, and the 2002 Focus. The 2001 Focus used more oil with Defy than with conventional oil. That one has been better with Maxlife. Maxlife makes the 2002 Focus louder. I have not tried it with the Jeep yet. Both Focuses start much easier in extreme cold with Maxlife. It has been the best I have tried in extreme cold so far.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted By: dlundblad

smile.gif

laugh.gif

Sexy Sally

2qaju38.jpg

Originally Posted By: Bud_One
different strokes for different folks.

So true!!!
laugh.gif

There seems to be a lot of folks recommending Maxlife and Pennz. HM, not just one or the other. Depends which threads you happen to read I guess.

I used PHM once - on a '95 Lincoln Mark VIII with the 4.6 DOHC. After sitting for a few days the car would puff a pretty good cloud of blue smoke when started. A friend suggested PHM and I ran it for a summer - I was pleasantly surprised that it eliminated the smoke on startup.

Just recently I was reading a post in the oil additive forum here on BITOG. One member responded that he would suggest using PHM oil for a seepage problem another member was having. For some unknown reason it hit me; Why would he recommend PHM? Why not VML, M1HM, Havoline HM, WMST HM, etc. Does PHM have a special add package that makes it better than other HM oils?

People will have different experience with HM oils. If you have a major leak, no HM oil will not stop it. You your only solution is to fix it. Otherwise, you have to experiment.
And, being that PHM is a conventional oil, and a lot of HM oils out there are semi synthetic and some full synthetic, why PHM?:
Pennzoil conventional is as good if not better than other brands semi synthetic. Oils really need to have 1% synthetic oil to be labeled semi-synthetic. If the semi-synthetic or synthetic blend has a DEXOS1 certification, you know its better than anyones conventional.

What I am getting at, the member could have suggested Castrol HM. But why? Because someone or a group of people stated that (insert name brand) HM oil worked for them so they think it should be used?
What I am ultimately trying to say is, who REALLY knows which HM oil actually works? Just because it stopped a leak on Joe Blow's BMW doesn't mean it will stop the same said/type oil leak on Sexy Sally's same model BMW. Could HM oil just be a gimmick oil? Does said ADD PACKAGES that the oil makers claim they use in their oil just be some kind of engine stop leak added in a small quantity?
HM oils........do they REALLY work? Please feel free to add more Q?'s, opinions, lies, this big fish stories, to my "some what" insane post.
(BTW, this same discussion can be used in any oil conversation, some what.}
34.gif
:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back