Highway Trooper got me doing 88 in a 65 early this morning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here in FL, a Levy County sheriff's deputy told me back in March at the height of the lockdown they were ordered not to stop anyone for anything less than 100 mph unless they were an immediate public danger.

That sure does explain a lot.

I used to see Audis drive past FHP at like 85 every day all the time, thinking to myself they were going to be stopped. Nope..

Waze is lyfe.

I'm probably about to go use Waze right now.

Helpful Wazers mark when they pass police. Very nice.

Slow down for bridges, overpasses and obvious spots and you wont get nailed.

It is when you're on unfamiliar road and they sit hidden in the bushes and you're FLYING somewhere 80+ OR 75+ wide open with nobody else it could be you're getting popped.

They don't sit on the side of the road all day to go sightseeing... the police topic draws out both sides, surprised we haven't seen more "arrest the criminal" posts.

That sure does explain a lot.

I used to see Audis drive past FHP at like 85 every day all the time, thinking to myself they were going to be stopped. Nope..
During the height here in VA the highways were empty...like apocalyptic. I was regularly over 100. Zero enforcement.

A lawyer once told me if I’m ever stopped for any reason just be polite, respectful, hands on the wheel at 10:00 and 2:00, and keep your mouth shut. The LEO is a witness for the prosecution and you are a witness for the defense. The LEO will tell the court what you say if it goes to court. Volunteer nothing!
Better yet talk your way out of a ticket.
Always worked for me.

On a lucky day, 70mph will cut it but on HOV lane, you go 70mph and beemers, audis and similar will stay close to kiss your rear end. Many overtake you on the entrance ramps. It is remarkably frustrating to drive on LIE. I try to avoid it like plague but the alternatives aren't that great either.

When I lived in Sweden, you don't see traffic patrol at all. All you see are cameras by the roadside, literally anywhere on the road. They are kind enough to warn you before the light so you have an option to slow down. If you don't, you get the ticket at home, no court, no discussion. You sped, so pay the ticket. But also, passing a driving test is not as easy as in the US.
AFAIK, the same is Finland. The fine calculation is automatic, like Sweden, but the fine calculation formula is different.
There were plenty of red light cams in Chicago and the surrounding suburbs.
Lot of them got pulled down, people knew what intersections had them and would lock up the brakes for a yellow.

During the height here in VA the highways were empty...like apocalyptic. I was regularly over 100. Zero enforcement.

I too saw plenty of racing.

I always kept it under 90. Always thought there would be that lone State Police that was a renegade...and give out a ticket.

For about three months there was not.

I still feel like as of recently, they are doing more watching and less enforcng
Better yet talk your way out of a ticket.
Always worked for me.

Depends if you get pulled over by a jerk or not.

Also. As to I think Jarlaxe also advocated to remain silent.. I believe it could depend entirely on the situation. If you go that route, you are hiring an attorney and spending the money and letting the attorney handle it in court, and the officer can write whatever they want in the report that you don't get to see until the prosecutor reviews it.

Them: "And what's your address?"
You: "It's on my license, sir."
Them: "Step out of the car, please."

Had that happen before as well.

Them: "Why won't you tell me your address?"
Me: "It is on my license, sir,"
It only gets worse from there.

Games..

Non-compliance.

"Radio 2, roll another unit please."

Non-compliant.

If it is a "warmer" situation
. They routinely write for less.

79 in a 65 when you were going 93, for example.

I'm probably about to go use Waze right now.

Helpful Wazers mark when they pass police. Very nice.

Slow down for bridges, overpasses and obvious spots and you wont get nailed.

It is when you're on unfamiliar road and they sit hidden in the bushes and you're FLYING somewhere 80+ OR 75+ wide open with nobody else it could be you're getting popped.

They don't sit on the side of the road all day to go sightseeing... the police topic draws out both sides, surprised we haven't seen more "arrest the criminal" posts.
I drive about 100 mi a day on the highway and am an avid Wazer. It's a great tool to use along with common sense.

I drive about 100 mi a day on the highway and am an avid Wazer. It's a great tool to use along with common sense.

I used to do the same.. each way. Only saw a couple of police a week.

Now where I drive, I don't much need Waze as it is in a city versus highway however Waze is really an invaluable tool.

And don't speed past the cops known spot or when only one on the road or do anything stupid when you drive, and you'll see why most of the time you really don't need a radar detector. If traffic is slowing up? May be a trooper ahead. Common sense.. yes.

I always kept it under 90. Always thought there would be that lone State Police that was a renegade...and give out a ticket.

I still feel like as of recently, they are doing more watching and less enforcng

Also. As to I think Jarlaxe also advocated to remain silent.. I believe it could depend entirely on the situation. If you go that route, you are hiring an attorney and spending the money and letting the attorney handle it in court, and the officer can write whatever they want in the reportthat you don't get to see until the prosecutor reviews it.

Non-compliant.

I

Also. As to I think Jarlaxe also advocated to remain silent.. I believe it could depend entirely on the situation. If you go that route, you are hiring an attorney and spending the money and letting the attorney handle it in court, and the officer can write whatever they want in the report that you don't get to see until the prosecutor reviews it.

Them: "And what's your address?"
You: "It's on my license, sir."
Them: "Step out of the car, please."

Had that happen before as well.

Them: "Why won't you tell me your address?"
Me: "It is on my license, sir,"
It only gets worse from there.

Games..

Non-compliance.

"Radio 2, roll another unit please."

Non-compliant.

My car is modified and quite"quick"...it was the chance of a lifetime to see what it would do.

I

My car is modified and quite"quick"...it was the chance of a lifetime to see what it would do.

How did it do? You are a braver man than I!

My current car is slow, it might want to be fast but it's just not super fast. I did not have the fortitude to hit triple-digit numbers when the highways were wide open.

How did it do? You are a braver man than I!

My current car is slow, it might want to be fast but it's just not super fast. I did not have the fortitude to hit triple-digit numbers when the highways were wide open.
Got a great straight stretch near me (in Kazakhstan of course....) on a large highway. Hit 140 in the wagon. Fastest I've ever been. It has more but I wasn't going to push it anymore. That was my COVID-19 highlight.

20200817_112509.jpg

Last edited:
Got a great straight stretch near me (in Kazakhstan of course....) on a large highway. Hit 140 in the wagon. Fastest I've ever been. it has more but I wasn't going to push it anymore. That was my COVID-19 highlight.

View attachment 27703

Your top speed tale is very similar to mine, just that you had the blessing of an open road and I didn't.

Take those roof bars that go from the driver to passenger side off already, if you haven't done so. Or, maybe leave the rear one on, take off the front. It will act as a spoiler and create downforce, though on a highway I'm not sure if that would be beneficial unless you like to shoot the curves.

It sounds like you and I know how to DRIVE and not get tickets. It is actually rather easy.

Your top speed tale is very similar to mine, just that you had the blessing of an open road and I didn't.

Take those roof bars that go from the driver to passenger side off already, if you haven't done so. Or, maybe leave the rear one on, take off the front. It will act as a spoiler and create downforce, though on a highway I'm not sure if that would be beneficial unless you like to shoot the curves.

It sounds like you and I know how to DRIVE and not get tickets. It is actually rather easy.
For sure the racks aren't great for high speed runs and if I was doing to do it again, I'd remove them. The car was very floaty at that speed and my dampers are not up to task for bumps/dips/hits at that speed - I have H&R Sport springs which are great, but running stock dampers (will replace with Bilstein B8s next year). Have a larger rear sway bar and upgraded brake bits all around. It's the 1.8L and DSG trans but I'm running a larger turbo and all the other bits that go with it plus the obvious software tune. Not bad for a base model Golf "dad wagon" 🤣 🤣 🤣

Agreed - just have to be smart and do this when it's safe. I consider myself a "good" driver but I'm attending a high performance driving school at VIR this fall so will have some fun learning some techniques in my car.

For sure the racks aren't great for high speed runs and if I was doing to do it again, I'd remove them. The car was very floaty at that speed and my dampers are not up to task for bumps/dips/hits at that speed - I have H&R Sport springs which are great, but running stock dampers (will replace with Bilstein B8s next year). Have a larger rear sway bar and upgraded brake bits all around. It's the 1.8L and DSG trans but I'm running a larger turbo and all the other bits that go with it plus the obvious software tune. Not bad for a base model Golf "dad wagon" 🤣 🤣 🤣

Agreed - just have to be smart and do this when it's safe. I consider myself a "good" driver but I'm attending a high performance driving school at VIR this fall so will have some fun learning some techniques in my car.

Really hope you don't blow your engine.

This car is the first one I removed the roof bars. I am glad someone suggested that to me. It's all about MPG. I think I get 26 if I drive like an old man.. and I sometimes do.

Your car was wanting to lift off as the speed climbed.. most people use their roof bars exactly zero possibly one time. For me it is zero on every vehicle I have had that had them. Now they are in storage meaning they will likely not be seen again, much less used. Labeled "Front" and "rear"...

What kind of oil you got in that 1.8T and how much boost? I'd have raced you in my old car. This one, is staying as-is maybe forever, it's slow for me but all it has to do is work and not use TOO much gas and look pretty and so far it is so..

Really hope you don't blow your engine.

This car is the first one I removed the roof bars. I am glad someone suggested that to me. It's all about MPG. I think I get 26 if I drive like an old man.. and I sometimes do.

Your car was wanting to lift off as the speed climbed.. most people use their roof bars exactly zero possibly one time. For me it is zero on every vehicle I have had that had them. Now they are in storage meaning they will likely not be seen again, much less used. Labeled "Front" and "rear"...

What kind of oil you got in that 1.8T and how much boost? I'd have raced you in my old car. This one, is staying as-is maybe forever, it's slow for me but all it has to do is work and not use TOO much gas and look pretty and so far it is so..
I use my racks all the time for my bike - at least once/twice a week so they stay. They do hurt the mpgs some but not a concern with this car.

No worries on the engine, the software tunes and aftermarket hardware on these is "tried and true" and is v. reliable. It's been tuned for ~40K miles running Unitronic Stage 1+ and now Stage 2 software. Turbo is the one from the GTI. It's got an aftermarket catted downpipe, intake, a larger intercooler will go in a few weeks. I use Liquimoly oils - currently the Molygen 5W40. Boost peaks around 22.5psi and tapers off to around 18 at redline with about 15 degrees of timing, it's a nice safe tune on 93 but I do run some ethanol at about a 30% blend for a little extra. Here's my 1/4 mile run in it:

Last edited:
There were plenty of red light cams in Chicago and the surrounding suburbs.
Lot of them got pulled down, people knew what intersections had them and would lock up the brakes for a yellow.
I've personally witnessed 2 accidents at a redlight camera intersection - both times the lead driver stopped for the yellow-red light change, and the trailing driver wasn't expecting that. Seems counterproductive to me...

It really is. And make sure both headlights work.

And don’t be a jerk with the cops trying to be evasive with their questions when they are just doing their job.

Jerk = guaranteed ticket and hit to your wallet and EGO.....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back