High milage f150's, oil viscosity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a '02 f150, 4.6L, has around 500,000km's, used 5w20 mineral from new (Ford or Chevron), either Ford, Wix, or Donaldson filters, 5,000km intervals. It started using oil slightly about 3 months ago, I told the guys to run a 5w30 from our lube supplier, a mineral with a -40c pour point, and a 11@100c viscosity rating, the thickest 5w30 I could find.

We also have a '03 F150 7700 (heavy half) with a 5.4L, probly 600,000km's, same oil services, it has also been switched over to the same 5w30 mineral.

Both still use oil but much less than the 5w20. Can I run a heavier grade oil, like a 10w40 maybe without issue. Either way they will still get a 5w30 in the winter for the cold starting. Just concerned with the "no thick 10wxx oil" propaganda I hear \bout these motors.

Thanks!!

Mike,

Ford has a TSB that allows for 10W-40 when customers complain about timing chain noise in the 3V motors with VCT. I would think the 2V would have less issues than the 3V given the lack of VCT.

One of the large counties (LA?) in California used to run 15W40 in everything from Powerstrokes to 4.6 Patrol Cars. Without any evidence of premature engine failures in the 4.6.

Just curious, how much oil are they using? Shell did a study, and if it is the rings that are in question, or valve seals or guides, going to a 40 grade oil might actually increase oil use. I would consider using a HM oil in a 30 grade and see if that helps. JMO

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Shell did a study, and if it is the rings that are in question, or valve seals or guides, going to a 40 grade oil might actually increase oil use.

Do you have a link or document for this study? It is contrary to my experience so I am curious.

My '99 F150 with the 4.6 has 186,000 miles on the clock now. Uses about a quart of 5w30 every 3000 miles or so. I've run everything from 5w20 to 5w40 in this thing, and they all work. That being said, I took a huge fuel mileage penalty without any change in consumption and wear (based on UOA's) after a year long test of 5w40. I lost somewhere around 7% on my fuel mileage in the year test, which was not good considering the 15 mpg average the truck normally has!

I'd have no problem with a 10w30 through the summer and check if that helps, but beyond that you start trading fuel economy pretty quick...

Originally Posted By: marc1
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Shell did a study, and if it is the rings that are in question, or valve seals or guides, going to a 40 grade oil might actually increase oil use.

Do you have a link or document for this study? It is contrary to my experience so I am curious.

PM sent.

I've got the guys monitoring consumption to see how bad it may or may not be, I'll update after a few weeks. Thanks guys, also, any chance of that tsb #?

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back