High HP AWD Automatic DSM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all;

My name is Ryan. I rock a 1996 Eagle Talon TSi AWD. I am a licensed Truck/Coach Mechanic by trade, and have been racing for about 7 years now.

I am currently building a forged motor, Manley/Manley combo. My choice for break in oils is going to be some Castrol GTX 5W30 for the first 500kms, however I am up in the air with my choice of full time oil.

The car sees daily driver use, with weekend track road race, autoX and Drags. Car (will) be making upwards of 500WHP, and the company I am buying my turbo from (Forced Performance) is a big Nay Nay on Mobil 1. I'd love some recommendations from seasoned vets here.

Thanks in advance!!

Ryan L

Does that engine have roller cam followers? if it does not, you want an oil with more ZDDP for your cam break in. There are a number of oils for high ZDDP requirements, but I'm not sure what is available in your area. Valvoline VR1 10-30 racing oil is one that you may consider. Check with your engine builder or speed shop to find an oil with somewhere over 1200/ppm of ZDDP. fwiw --Oldtommy

I'm not understanding the no Mobil 1. A lot of turbo engines are running it with zero problems.
I used it for years in a Ruf (late model engine) powered 930 without any engine or turbo problems and i didn't treat it like it was made of glass.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I'm not understanding the no Mobil 1. A lot of turbo engines are running it with zero problems.
I used it for years in a Ruf (late model engine) powered 930 without any engine or turbo problems and i didn't treat it like it was made of glass.

Agreed. And Honda developed the HTO-06 turbo oil spec with Mobil.

A 2.0l 4 banger with 500 hp. I wouldn't run the shear prone M1 either.

I'm thinking a 5w40 oil like RT6 or various other Euro speced oils out there where the HTHS # is strong.

I'd be more concerned about running 500+ hp (and a commensurate amount of torque) through your automatic transmission, than I would be about exactly which oil to use in the engine. Have you done any research on that issue?

Originally Posted By: 30valve

I'm thinking a 5w40 oil like RT6 or various other Euro speced oils out there where the HTHS # is strong.

Worked fine in my buddy Paul's 850RWHP Termi with a pair of twins on it. He just ran their 5w30.

Originally Posted By: 30valve

I 2nd this opinion as well.

First off: Trav, I am insanely jealous! A Ruf-powered 930?? Droooool

Second: though I am not familiar with DSM's beyond the basics, I am pretty familiar with putting forced-induction on a motor after building up the top and bottom
wink.gif
I would highly recommend using Redline's Break-In Oil, it worked amazingly for my app (BMW 328Ci, 2.8L Inline6, Mahle Forged Pistons, Carrillo Forged Con-Rods, ARP full-engine kit, blueprinted and razor-honed crank, full titanium valvetrain with oversized valves, Schrick Cams, new hydraulic lifters, baffled oil pan, Extrudehoned Intake manifold and exhaust valves, etc, and a modified ESS TS2+ Intercooled Lysholm 2.3L Twin-Screw Supercharger; 16.5psi on 93oct at 10.5:1 CR).
The car is driven almost daily 7mo/yr, and sees track days (road course) and autocross events a couple dozen times a year.
I ran the RL break in oil after the build, and now I use Royal Purple 5w40 Euro (API SL) for street use and Redline 0w30/40 for track use. Tore down the engine 10k miles after the build to inspect and not only were the parts unbelievably clean, there was zero visible wear. They basically looked like the day they went in. This was after many, many HPDE's and for any Auto-X/Track Day I run 105-110oct race gas, throw on my smaller SC pulley, and switch the tune to the appropriate map (holds up to 16 tunes, change between just using the key, the OBC button, and the gas pedal), and it is up to 24psi from 16.5 and of course still at the high 10.5:1 CR.

I cannot give the stuff enough praise!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back