HF variable-speed rotary tool?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My brother wants a rotary tool, but Dremels are somewhere between stratospheric and out of this world in price these days. Any experiences with the more expensive Harbor Freight variable-speed rotary tool? The reviews on their site are pretty positive, and the price sure is right for something that would be used once in a while.

the cheaper ones have absolutely no torque.. like you could blow on it and it would stop.

not sure which one you are talking about? link?

The cheap model that goes on sale for $6.99 has about as much torque as a dollar store handheld fan. But the accessories are worth the $7.

The $15 rotary tool has reasonable power.

If you get one, I'd be curious to hear your experience.

I've had a Dremmel for about 10 years (I've replaced the motor brushes a few times) but would like to pick up something cheaper solely for cutting plaster & lathe.

a good dremel can be had for under 80 bucks at walmart. how is that expensive? i've used it multiple times rescuing me from stuck axle nuts to motor mounts.

i will use HF for the tool bits itself, but i think their dremel style tool is junk.

Last edited:
I got the tool. It looked decent for what I paid. I'll let the brother guinea-pig this one!

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
a good dremel can be had for under 80 bucks at walmart. how is that expensive? i've used it multiple times rescuing me from stuck axle nuts to motor mounts.

i will use HF for the tool bits itself, but i think their dremel style tool is junk.

Well the Dremel is $80 bucks as you stated, and the Harbor Freight one is $20 bucks, that leaves $60 dollars difference. Sixty dollars is a nice chunk of change to have in my pocket, maybe not yours but in mine it sure is.

Now if we were looking at a difference of 5 to 10 dollars everything changes.

I got the rotary tool out of the box, and it's one chunky, heavy little rotary tool. Everything appeared well-constructed, and it fits well into the hand. No binding or looseness felt when rotating the collet by hand. Not bad for $20. We'll see how it holds up to use.

Make sure to update with your experience. I've been thinking about buying the same one. I basically only use it for little things, so I can't justify $80 for a Dremel.

I tried the $7.99 model and it was the biggest piece of junk ever. It couldn't even come close to cutting open an oil filter.

I have the Toolshop one from Menards and it has been great. $20 on sale with the bag of bits and a case. I had a Dremel but it is MIA at the moment.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
http://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/rotary-tools/variable-speed-rotary-tool-kit-68696.html

Their variable speed rotary tool is the one I'm interested in.

Been looking at this particular HF rotary tool for a number of years. Seems better built an more heavy duty than their least expensive model. They have updated the end/cord section by angling it from the stock, used to be straight to end. The reviews are positive.

Let us know how it holds up in use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back